anglia4

Anglia4's Austin 7 Ruby

Recommended Posts

So armed with a few trolley jacks, stands and a couple of lengths of pipe we got stuck in one day and cleared the path. 

We jacked up the car using the bits of pipe, getting ready for my plan of lifting up to roll a trailer underneath.

Once it was up a gave one of the wheels a bit of a kick and the bloody thing turned! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! The last car we dragged out of this shed, which had been there half as long, needed big long bars, oxy-heat, dragging round and round the paddock etc etc to get the wheels to turn. And it had even been off the ground on blocks.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point the efforts to try and get the engine free'd up had been to grab the crank handle and lift the car off the axle stands while seeing if it will turn... some 2 stroke oil and CRC down the spark plug holes didn't help, so I pulled the head to see what the state of things was.

 IMG_3178.JPG.3ba75444ffd6662e18bd2d07bfe26472.JPG

I was worried that the valves might be stuck in the guides and didn't want to damage them trying to force the crank around, so I took off the manifolds and exposed the valve springs to see if they were free. All but one moved nicely so I fed the one some CRC and left it for a week or so.

IMG_3180.JPG.7818a3c16de29b4c5a0b1ddd0cae4f31.JPG

 

 

IMG_3183.JPG

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to have a bit more of a tinker the other night.

These don't have an oil filter as such, instead they have a wire gauze under the crank to filter the oil as it drops into the sump. So to clean this you have to whip the sump off.

Unfortunately... The bastard sump catches on the chassis rails by about 3mm in the front corners, so to get it off the studs I had to lift the engine off its mounts... And to get that to lift high enough I had to lift the radiator off its mounts... Then the crank handle fouled on the grill... And the number plate was in the way... you get where I'm going with this.....

Once I managed to get the sump off I called it a night for that job, I'll pull the gauze another time and finish it.

Having done battle with that I thought I'd tackle a nice easy "feel good" project, like fitting the new wheels and tires.......

IMG_3433.JPG.9c0c33c14983ad2be14a08d113e06ab5.JPG

FUCK IT ALL....

Turns out there is more than one wheel size for A7 Ruby's

Does anyone want to buy a set of 4 brand new 19" tires, tubes and rim tape? :doubt: (or swap for 16"...)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its taken me 3 shed nights but I've finally finished changing the oil.

IMG_3479.JPG.c459c427b551c8428c4e13d4b7c9d469.JPG

I had to make a new sump gasket that I forgot to take a photo of. There was nothing particularly nasty to report in the oil.

I now know that to clean the oil filter I have to remove the hood, grille, number plate, radiator & undo the front engine mount bolts...

Happy days.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.