anglia4

Anglia4's Austin 7 Ruby

So armed with a few trolley jacks, stands and a couple of lengths of pipe we got stuck in one day and cleared the path. 

We jacked up the car using the bits of pipe, getting ready for my plan of lifting up to roll a trailer underneath.

Once it was up a gave one of the wheels a bit of a kick and the bloody thing turned! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! The last car we dragged out of this shed, which had been there half as long, needed big long bars, oxy-heat, dragging round and round the paddock etc etc to get the wheels to turn. And it had even been off the ground on blocks.

So given this complete bombshell of how easy this was looking like being, we put a strop around the diff. Put the VX landcruiser in low ratio, and gently towed it out of the shed.

To blow my mind even more, I think I jokingly said, "wouldn't it be easy to steer if I could wind the window down" at which point I grabbed the window winder and wound down the bloody window! This little car blowing my mind with how much of it still works is kind of becoming a theme.

IMG_3197.thumb.JPG.243913486285fa6f62bd9c627e05c5d5.JPGIMG_3189.thumb.JPG.949d944b88e461afd847ea6c61317592.JPG

• Like 7

The interior has this lovely shade of green everywhere, which somehow looked quite familiar. I asked dad if it was in fact the same shade as the benching in the kitchen at my grandparents house when I was little. The very same. Jeez grandad was resourceful.

IMG_3193.thumb.JPG.d3022fcf2ece08f8e9b6880d34ab9995.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We took the car to my dads workshop as he has a bit more gear than me for getting things free'd up, the initial goal being to get it to a state where it could be pushed around and easily moved about the limited space of my own workshop.

We got it into the shed, jacked it up, squirted some CRC at the wheel studs and left it overnight.

I came back the next day to start the mammoth task I was expecting to get the wheels off. Armed with a range of metric and imperial sockets, I found the nearest I had to the BSW (*shudder*) wheel nuts and gave an exploratory lean on the breaker bar for the first nut. It turned easily and then came off by hand... NO FUCKING WAY... I repeated this for all 12 nuts, yes it has 3 stud wheels! What I had set aside an afternoon for, took me less than 5 minutes.

IMG_3076.thumb.JPG.86ecf5117b8a5d58b2c3326445968a57.JPG

I later went to take the bonnet off it, it wasn't attached properly and only had one bolt in it. No tools required here, I undid this 82 year old bolt with my bare fingers... As I said earlier, this thing has given me a few surprises about how easy it is coming apart.

This is probably a good point for an explanation... When grandad parked up a car for what he thought might be quite a lengthy period of storage, he had a habit of pouring a few gallons of waste oil over them. Makes a hell of a mess and collects every spec of dust and dirt, but it does an impressive job of keeping everything working. The 68 Rambler Rebel in the background was in the shed next to this, and everything on it moves and functions and it has minimal rust due to the oil protection.

The floor pans in the austin look as though they have had a tube of grease smeared over them, but zero rust there. The only real rust on the Austin is around the spare wheel, and in the sills, where the oil didn't really get.

I've been having a tinker to try and get the engine free'd up. So far I have managed to remove the head, exhaust manifold etc, all without any broken studs. Thanks grandad!

In fact the only thing I have found seized up on the entire car so far is the lever for the folding front windscreen (and the engine...)

• Like 7