Flash

Flash's 1965 Ford Thames

Recommended Posts

First up I'd like to thank @tortron for his feedback regarding the 90 degree rotation in the positioning of the dual circuit master cylinder. Looks like the only possible snag I may have is bleeding the thing properly, but only time will tell.

So yesterday I removed the Thames pedal / master cylinder bracket so that I could do some bench work. Sure beats lying on your back trying to work things out. I started off by drilling a new upper mounting hole for the master. I'll need to extend the bracket slightly for the bottom mounting hole, but that is pretty straight forward, so I'll leave that until I've proved that everything else works out.

With the new cylinder bolted up to the bracket I clamped everything down and took some comparison measurements on the throw of the push rod. The bigger diameter L300 cylinder has a stroke that is 5mm less than the stroke on the Thames unit. To my simple way of thinking this will slightly reduce pedal travel and if anything should make the brakes feel more responsive, but I'm happy for anyone to chip in if I have overlooked something.

The standard Thames push rod has a half moon at the cylinder end which is too big to fit in the L300 piston cup.

20200916_130750.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I headed over to the Starwagon donor van and pulled out the pedal / booster setup as I figured I could maybe use the original push rod that matches the cylinder. Stripped out the push rod and laid it side by side with the Thames one and I think I can make a plan.

 

20200915_114402.jpg

20200916_130816.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I give the push rod modification a bit of thought I turned my attention to the pipework for the brakes. For cert I need to fit a load sensing proportioning valve because the Thames is classed as a light commercial vehicle. I'm not really keen as I don't plan to carry loads and I figure its just one more complication, but I don't have a choice, so I just need to suck it up.

I'll use the valve from the donor HiAce as it already bolts up to the rear axle and I just need to fabricate a chassis mounting bracket. I wasn't sure how the pipework for this valve works, so I spent the morning under the HiAce pulling all of the brake lines out and I now have a clearer idea of how the valve is plumbed.

Thanks for reading.

20200916_122643.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier in the week my remote brake booster pitched up. It came with some universal mounting brackets, but I wanted something more bespoke, so I spent the morning carving my own mounting bracket. 

The booster is now tucked up in its new home above the chassis leg in the back corner of the driver's side wheel arch. I'll need to fabricate a cover plate to keep it safe from mud and other road debris, but I'll tackle that once its all plumbed up and working.

Sadly my little grinder gave up its life finishing off this bracket. I can't complain as I've had it a good number of years and its done really well. So after lunch we will take a drive into Bunnings to get a new one.

Thanks for reading. 

20200920_084905.jpg

20200920_122355.jpg

20200920_124024.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.