ajg193's 1980 KP Bug

ajg193

Pictureless update this time.

So after the previous work I encountered some more problems engine-wise.

The rumble ended up being the water pump letting go. So I replaced that with a new unit. When I replaced the water pump I discovered one of the pipes on the thermostat block was corroded past the point of being usable so I had to replace the thermostat block. I also replaced the thermostat and alternator belt.

I replaced the ignition leads and distributor cap after getting a shock. I transplanted the vacuum advance unit off my old points distributor from the Sprint onto the 3K as the vacuum advance wasn't working. The choke now works properly.

I made it half way down my road when the car just stopped. One of the LV wires on the ignition coil had fallen off, so I put it back on and screwed the nut on tight.

The carburetor is still running the original 2K jets so it would be nice to track down a set of 3K jets as the car runs a little too lean when starting up from cold - needs more than two pumps of the accelerator before turning the key.

I replaced the seal between the oil filter mount and engine block with a Genuine Toyota unit. It started leaking straight away, so something might not be flat (I scraped off all traces of the old pile of gaskets). I'm probably just going to smear a little goop on each surface and hope that will stop it from leaking.

I straightened the back bumper and repainted it, but I will probably need to do it again and this time use as much bog as was originally on it as it looks pretty average up close at the moment.

I probably faffed around and did other things that aren't springing to mind right now. But the car is currently running and driving well.

• Like 2

The car survived a trip over the port hills last night with no issues at all. I'm starting to like it.

Today I spent time working on the drivers side front guard and straightening the front bumper.

The guard is coming along nicely but I ran out of wax and grease remover so I'll have to leave it until tomorrow before I do any more work.

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So it's now coming to a time where I think I'm going to sell her.

Everything seems to be in a functional condition at the moment. The exhaust snapped the other day while I had loaned the car to a tourist, so I had that repaired today. It was awkward/fun to terrorize Christchurch city while I was driving around with only half an exhaust. The only real thing that it would benefit from on the mechanical side is a bigger carburetor, it is still running the original 2K one.

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg
There's still a fair bit to be done cosmetically, but nothing too extreme. I still haven't managed to paint the replacement driver's door fully, I'll probably hold onto it for a while and sell it separately if I ever get around to making paint stick to it.