dxrollas 1983 VH Commodore

DXROLLA

Would like to keep it auto, cant decide weather to go turbo or stick with the trimatic, advantage with the turbos seem to be more aftermarket support but that require more to fit into the commy?

What state are the engines in?

Cheers very happy with it, last owner for about 15 years old guy said he had never had it over 80kms, which is probably why it stripped the timing gear on the way home doing 100km :cry:

Looks like all he has used it for is towing a garden trailer to the dump every now and than, with the usual dings and scratches that you can expect. But everything is very original nothing has been touched or tampered with

• Like 1

Sounds like a good example to have bought.

The trimatic is definitely the easier option for several reasons:

- Trimatic pattern Holden V8 engine blocks are far more common than the Turbo/Chev pattern blocks. They are also cheaper. I assume you know the diference between the two?

- Trimatic associated parts for the conversion are very easy to come by, the shifter mechanism etc in your car will simply fit the V8 Trimatic with no modifications

- Depending on how much power you're putting through it, a Trimatic will be up to the task. They are also a much cheaper transmission than a TH350/400.

The engines are in varying states. I have one 308 that needs the oil pump bolted on and it will run. It has no carb though but I assume you'll put an aftermarket one on instead of fiddling around with the Rochester Quadrajet that they came with as standard. Quadrajets are fine, they flow well and are economical when on part throttle (primaries only) but are an absolute bitch to set up correctly.

I have a few spare four barrel manifolds too, but they are standard and hence designed to fit a spreadbore carb, not a squarebore. You can simply fit an adaptor plate to sort this out.

• Like 2