browndog

Browndog's Supervan 2 (yet another one!)

13 posts in this topic

I was going to pick the van up at the end of November, but couldn't wait, so paid the balance and picked it up Saturday. Been driving it around all weekend, and really happy with it. It is very good to drive for an old van, quite tight. Took it on a long run yesterday, and refilled with fuel when I got back. Looks like about 20mpg, or 14l/100kms, which is very good for something that has the aerodynamics of a house, with a fairly large engine. And way better than my current LDV "Police" van, which will be replaced by this as my tow vehicle.

Parked up at Hampton Downs yesterday next to my mates "Masport" V8 Mk2. They certainly got a bit of attention there!

misc 005.jpg

misc 004.jpg

Edited by browndog
reloaded pictures because photobucket are burgling bastards!
8 people like this

A more "appropriate" load today, off to a TV shoot early tomorrow morning with another Mk2 in tow :)

SV2 1.jpg

SV2 2.jpg

Edited by browndog
6 people like this

pulled the lid off to have a closer look. Here you can see the Eaton M90 supercharger, with throttle intake at the rear. These engines did not run an intercooler, although aftermarket ones are available. Looks like clearance to the throttle body will be tight, otherwise everywhere else looks easy :)  

misc 062.jpg

misc 059.jpg

misc 060.jpg

Edited by browndog
8 people like this

I have been slowly working away on this van, and dropped the engine in yesterday. What a bloody mission! The extra height of the supercharger made it REALLY tight to get in there. I had to notch the front crossmember to allow the sump to drop down and clear it, and it is really tight for space in all directions. But it does fit! And no cutting or beating of the floorpan or bulkhead required! There are a few tweaks needed for clearance, but nothing major.

Here is a pic of it sitting in place.

004.JPG

I have also installed a MK3 Transit power steering box. The steering box was straightforward enough, remove the Mk2 mounting plate and fit the Mk3 version. For the steering column I used the Mk2 outer part, and cut it off where it protrudes through the bulkhead. I fitted the Mk5 shaft to this. And used a coupling from a Mk5 with the 2x UJ's so that I could get rid of the rubber coupling that the Mk3 has, and also keep the steering column on its original axis. There was a little bit more to it than this, but you get the idea.

005 (2).JPG

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/50625-browndogs-supervan-2-yet-another-one/

Edited by browndog
9 people like this

I received an email from photobucket yesterday, saying 3rd party hosting on my account had been temporarily disabled. Basically they want me to pay $399 to restore this service- they can get f$#ked! Please bear with me while I reload the pictures in this thread.  Bastards!

Edit: pics uploaded to the OS website, normal service has resumed. photobucket go fuck yourself! :)

4 people like this