Question about spark plug leads.

Mr Vapour

Hello gents

Soo the old BMW has a set of wire core leads with resistor caps. 

The caps are breaking down and they need to be replaced. and the plugs are in need of replacing. 

im having trouble finding the correct caps in NZ, im more than willing to import them, no problem. 

But im thinking it might be a good time to update the leads as well, and just run a standard carbon core lead and change to a non resistor plug. 

Has any one got any reason to not do this, Im thinking i might need to change the coil as well?? 

Thanks for the help in advance 

B

Many thanks Mr rookie. 

My its been a long time since I had to think about this. 

A set of fresh bpr6es on the way.  I will grab a set of leads and try and work out what to do with the dizzy end , it's a bit different to most.

EBay here I come for new terminals. 

Give these guys a try first, managed to get a tappet cover gasket from them after months of looking over seas with no joy, they had it on the shelve and a LOT cheaper than I had expected.

profile_mask2.png
Hawkswood Classics <matt@classiccarparts.co.nz>

find them here on line       www.classiccarparts.co.nz

Maybe try and find a new dizzy cap? What car is this for btw?

Its for an e21 320 BMW. I have had a look at the cap and it is not in bad condition, but i will see. I had a look at pick a part today and a set of leads off a AU falcon are the same terminal at the cap and will hopefully be long enough. So i will be getting a set of those for it as a trial run to ensure all is going to work properly. 

Im trying to fix a bit of a miss. the plugs looked ok on colour when i pulled them but when doing so the resister caps fell apart. i put it back together and it runs but its always had a bit of a cough.  So i have a strong feeling that the spark is shorting direct to the head. 

I also have a carb kit, i think the accelerator pump was not assembled correctly and the diaphragm is not allowing enough movement to pump.  it needs a boot full to stop it from stalling from a standstill.  Its ok once you are used to it, but there is no quite cruse, it has have some rev in it to keep it going. 

Im hoping it will smooth it out a little if i can clean up the spark.