Calling after old 80's car radio diagnostic gurus

4AGEMAD

So I purchased myself a factory Cressida double din Technics matsushita Headunit.

Wired up then turned everything on. Unfortunately all I got was a small led on the face light up then turn off straight after, didnt even turn on the screen.

Thinking there was something wrong with the vehicle itself I bench tested with a 12v inverter, exactly the same issue.

Love it if someone could help me with this as Id rather not send it back.

11844208_10204632243061688_1514306499_n_

Shit, haven't seen one of those for many years.

I can remember when these came out. proper "Suround Sound" stereos like this where top of the line.

From memory there was a small pre amp that plugs into the back and has it's own set of wires from the loom as well and without it it's just a nice way to fill the hole.

They where an option and a spendy one at that, I have a suspicion the loom was unique to the double din head unit.

I could be wrong but it's the only thing I can think of other than the head unit it's self being faulty.

There may be a work around to get the head unit to go without it if you could get a electronics tech to check it out.

You might be onto something there.

I do have all the wires that come out of it so my last resort is to obviously solder back all the wires and hope for the best.

There are three plugs out of the back, one housing the power/speaker wires, one for more speaker wires I am to believe and the other which runs to the 'remote'radio controls.

Which puts my in a shizz is that the diagram I have is not quite right and I can find anything online.

Fingers crossed but I wouldve thought just apply power and earth to what I think is the right wires shouldve booted it up?

Is there a round output on the back? Like an old mic or speaker plug. 20mm or so with 10 ish pins? Sorry it's been a while and the memory isn't what it was, so many drugs and not enough time.

I noticed the 70 series wiring diagram in the back ground, I know the 70 did have a 4 channel double din head unit but the 80's had them to, you may be working from the wrong bible.

I can tell you now technics will not be able to help with a wiring diagram, they built these under licence for Toyota and not for the general market so the only place you will get one is from Toyota.

If I was you I would go see them and ask if they can check the part number on it and see what model it's from, if it needs the pre amp and if possable a wiring diagram.

They might be resistant to start with as the info will most likely be on micro fiche.

One of the guys here on OldSchool is a parts guy at Toyota but I can't remember his handle.

http://www.toyodiy.com/ may shed some light in this department to as you can do a part number search.

AMPLIFIER ASSY, STEREO COMPONENT 86280-19015   1 $3,653.61 86120 RECEIVER ASSY, RADIO     1       1   86120-39015 AM/FM MULTIPLEX (4 SPEAKERS), W/CASSETTE STEREO 1 $3,345.58

This is an example of what toyodiy can provide and it's cost. CRINGE. These are for of all things the 4 channel stereo for the AE82 JDM Corolla GT 4 Door.

Made a fairly rookie move out of excitement/depression. 

The previous owners made a complete mess of the radio wiring, blowing multiple fuses, found one radio fuse mounted in the engine bay which is a bit odd. 

but was tracing power wiring from what they originally used and was all weird etc etc, they also added their own wiring into it which didnt help the cause. 

Long story short shes all go! 

Frosty you were right, my manual says there was a blue/yellow wire, but i needed a green/black & green/red wires. so wiring diagram is definitely for the newer models. 

BUT, the tapes wont play :(

I push the tape in, it clicks, pickup engages, hear a noise then pops out again and repeats about 4 times then ejects the tape. The spindles dont spin which leads me to believe that the drive band/belt from the motor is broken? 

If it's clicks it's not the elastic band it's mechanical drag in the gears.

One of the gears has likley got some grit in it or the drive rollers have stuck together.

Get in there and have a gentle poke with with a small blade screw driver to see which one is causing the problem, once you know it may be simple as blowing it out with some air and re greasing the loaded points (shafts and gears).

While you're in there use a cotton bud and some cleaning solution to clean the pinch rollers and pick up head. (isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol that the car painters use)