Flibois 1986 z31 fairlady

Drove this home, it goes extremly well and im very happy with, felt like the coolest car on the road amongst countless honda accords, untill a lamborghini adventador overtook me ha!

Went to take some photos but had gotten too dark so will do tomorow

Edited edit - got pics to work, also Neal - it does have a plenum cover after all

Photos finally!

There is literally nothing needed to daily this! Long term plans are to fix up a couple of non structural rust spots, and probably paint it because someone has loved it a bit much and polished though to the undercoat in a few spots, plus I've always wanted to paint the advan livery on something. And of course apply a little bit more low and some sweet rims.

The interior is 99% mint and super comfortable, the colour is by far much nicer than the photos depict, and aside from the yuck gear knob and delamination steering wheel, I'll leave it as is. I want to replace said parts with some nice woodgrain items as black will just look awful with the red.

It came with a boot load of spare bits including another set of glass tops, complete with leather storage bags and interior blackout trims. Another awesome item included was an OG shop manual, not even a book but all pages loose leaf in a folder, it also shows evidence of once being apart of a primary school Library which I thought was hilariously random!

It's had a new exhaust fitted recently which sounds like sex! Damn near an open system with a couple of quality bullet resonators, including one at the very exist, which gives quite a muscle car look.

All in all, stoked with my new daily that will be a slow restomod project. But mostly used for pretending it's 1990 on the Tokyo freeways. Which reminds me of another observation, this car, being the 'slow big' version, is certainly not slow, so I'd love to drive a top spec turbo one! It's no wonder they were popular on the freeways.

• 2 weeks later...

ordered a new gear shifter to replace the awful silver one that doesn't actually tighten up. hopefully the red will tie in with the interior and not look too out of place. 

and am hunting for a wood grain steering wheel 

meANuat7dw37Tg37BWgMwVg.jpg

other than that, i am saving my pennies to go wheel shopping in japan, as NZs 5x114 wheel market extends to curbed 17x7 skid rims and $3000 sets of 18" and thats about it.

and i also need to sort out some moar low

shakotan_z31_300zx_by_colorabsent-d54v35

• Like 5

so at the start of this thread i expressed interest in a metal ducktail spoiler. this is for many reasons, the main two are i cant bring myself to pay $300 for a fiberglass item, and that i dislike fiberglass car parts in the first place. 

i also didn't want it to look like shit, so quickly came to the conclusion that the best bet would be for me to learn a little sheet metal CAD skills, and try my hand at designing one on there that could be folded and welded (where edges arnt folds) 

so far im about half an hour into tutorials and stuff and am looking at a screen like this. pretty optimistic about what i may be able to create. 

feel free to give advice/critisism/ideas 

post-7953-0-65048000-1429345517_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

long time no update not much spare money :(

took this for a wof today, failed on blown headlamp bulb, and two leaky front shocks. by all means a good result for an older car that i bought sight unseen. but it probably means the new suspension lowering will get pushed back again :(. though this is a good opportunity to upgrade the front shocks like i should do for new springs anyway, and the rears have nice adjustable koni shocks. 

in better news. i fitted the woodgraing steering wheel i got from beachlander. to replace the frankly dangerous fucked original wheel. 

couldnt be happier (except the horn button that came with the boss kit is a bit lame, but i inteded to swap it for a 'Z' or an old font nismo one anyway. very glad i went with woodgrain, as it doesnt look out of place with the red interior. im temped to tint the chrome down a bit, but well see how i feel in a week. 

feels way nicer to drive without bits of crumbly foam coming off in yours hands. also cant wait to biff that horid shift knob out the window. 

IMAG0637.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

bought new shocks. shocks don't fit. story of my life. 

shocks came from rock auto in the states so will probably be a nightmare to fix

its now stranded in the car park, doing its best impression of this 

1204-lrmp-04-o+the-changing-lowrider-sce

IMAG0656.jpg

edit. the car is on stands, i didnt install the wrong shocks leading to that. 

the issue can be seen here

IMAG0652.jpg

• Like 3

got thinking that this isn't exactly the newest car on the market, and it seemed odd that i would be the only/first person to discover an issue with the catalog, and that more likely something was up with my car. 

when investigating, and found that someone had jammed a piece of metal down the strut tube in order to make the slightly shorter shocks work. fished this out with a piece of wire. and the new shocks fit properly now. 

quite glad this isn't as much of an issue as i thought, though rock auto where going to be really good about it if they were infact wrong. so i recommend them

• Like 3