Threeonthetree's 1979 Holden HZ Panel Van

This all started a while ago when I wandered into Zebra in Manukau and stumbled across the HQ panel van body that zebra dude (Ben)  had acquired for the yard.

Sadly the chassis and running gear had been sold prior to the van entering the yard. Closer inspection of the tags revealed that it was indeed a genuine 1972 Holden HQ Sandman with a standard V8 engine, manual transmission and Limited-slip differential.

Almost a year passed until Ben mentioned to me that the guy who'd bought the Sandman chassis was putting it up for sale. I had a look at it, kicked the tyres etc and a deal was done.

It was then delivered to the 'high-tech' storage facility. 

Complete with a 253 V8 engine, Salisbury Diff and fuel tank the chassis was in very good condition.

Like all good panel vans it also had stuffed airshocks in the rear. The extractors were a bonus.

• Like 2

So then the search was on for a decent body to attach to the chassis. Being the cheap bastard that I am, by decent I mean rusty but not too rusty.

Trademe helped me out on this occasion. A guy near Rotorua had plenty of classic Valiants but wanted to get rid of a Holden panel van that he'd saved from being scrapped. We had a Panel van phone conference meeting and decided to progress with the mechanical fusion of body and chassis. So I cued the music ('Chevy Van' by Sammy Johns), fired up the Rodeo and towed a trailer down to the van.

On the way down there, I had to take a look at a P6 LTD as a friend was after the roof from it. I arranged for the owner to cut the roof off and leave it on his lawn. I'd then strap it to the roof of the panel van on the way back home.

• Like 5

I arrived at the aforementioned 'high tech' storage headquarters with the van.

Thankfully some other GCs from oldschool were there to lend a hand. One of them seems particularly pleased to see the van.

20141130_185800_zpsygqpcund.jpg

You can see the awesome Van-cessories that came attached such as the stainless side steps, bumper mounted spotlights and four tone brown paintjob with orange stripe. Bloody beautiful.

I have already been told that I will be murdered if I change the colour scheme so that will stay.

Also inside are a period pipe for smoking hallucinogenic substances and a late 70's brown on brown saucepan for heating up your heroin.

20150127_184037_zpsztpvuctk.jpg

• Like 6

And finally here it is about to be pushed into the shed.

20150127_184012_zpsnjoejwwa.jpg

The plan is to not touch the bodywork at all but get it running, driving and stopping first.

It has no motor, gearbox or driveshaft but I have a spare 308 and three-speed floorchange manual that will be dropped into very shortly. Just awaiting mounts from Australia (cheaper than buying them locally).

From there I'll have a driveshaft modified to suit, fix the brakes and repair the lower tailgate which falls off due to hinges that have rusted through.

I have sort of kicked myself out of Wagnats before I even got to attend, so.......

Bring on Oldschool Van Nats 2019

• Like 8

So I made a little bit of progress today.

The Van had an LPG setup so I removed the tank and cleared out the rubbish that was in the back.

There were some useful parts too including a NOS nosecone, decent front guards and two bonnets.

I bolted the gearbox up to the motor and now it's patiently awaiting the engine and gearbox mounts to arrive from Australia.

20141106_204719_zpsahpwwtzy.jpg

The floor in the back of the van is in extremely good condition with no dents or rust.

I doubt this van has ever had a heavy load thrown in it. Probably just mattresses and wimmin puhuhuhu.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I moved this into a better position in Ben's Shed and while I was there mucking about with some other cars I grabbed another picture or two of the van to prove that I still have it:

20150313_145232_zpsw74cpblf.jpg

It's now facing a much better angle to allow me to slip in the motor and gearbox. The chassis that was pictured in the first post met its demise a while back. I removed everything that I thought was worth removing; rear axle assembly and Cheviot Turbos, fuel tank, V8 swaybar and links, steering box, V8 engine, gearbox crossmember and towbar. The rest was cut into pieces and scrapped. I'd usually feel bad about that but it was saved from being crushed while it still had all of its running gear. So it was essentially already dead. Well at least that makes it easier to justify in my head.

20150222_165646_zpsqeb4msv0.jpg

• Like 7