Seedy Al's 1976 Datsun 1200 Pick up of rattyness

Seedy Al

Discussion - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/45396-seedyals-datsun-1200-ute-discussion/

So some people may know I have owned a 1976 Datsun 1200 Pickup for many years.
I bought it with a 4age and t-50 sitting in it, with a turbo on its side. All wired, just needed a few things finished to get it going and certed. Unfortunantly I was a busy boy with many other builds going on, which has not changed, but I have made this now priority.

P1010154.jpg

P1010150.jpg

P3131527.jpg

Over the many years of ownership while it sat and waited and watched, I pillaged bits and pieces I need for other projects.
After probably 5 years of storage I decided it was time to sell, once I got back from living in Napier.

So out came the 4age turbo stuff, in went a another 4age motor I had and a 4 speed gearbox, with the intention of trying to sell it on.

IMG_0306_zps8740f988.jpg

IMG_0305_zpsfe592abe.jpg

however turns out no one actaually wants to buy a 1200 pick up with 4age in it. So faced the fact I would be holding onto it, and giving up my dreams of owning a Toyota Hilux instead. tho, not the worst things, as I actually fucken love these things!

So another year down the track
And now the time has come to sort out this puppy out. Over the last year I have been collecting bits and pieces when they came up to convert this back to a Datsun 1200 motor and 4 speed. So that is now whats happening.

• Like 7

I reality the body of this thing is not in to bad condition. its mint in places that a lot of these are fucked, but, the floors are rusted and rooted. So that is on the list, make some floors and weld them in. might be making a trip to my old work at classic car services to use the folder and swagging gear there.

Body wise I am just going to leave it looking shit and ratty for now, as having it mint was one of the reason I had never got into this thing, finding time for body work. I guess will see how it all looks when its on some decent 13 inch wheels and lowered. I like ratty cars. so I should like this!

IMG_0308_zps9b3a280c.jpg

there is a lot to do

IMG_1435_zpsf7693c33.jpg

So last weekend I started taking the first steps, pulling out the motor and box, along with all the EFI stuff. not really a hard task, and after a few hours progress was good!

IMG_1432_zps7ede3242.jpg

IMG_1434_zps64a081e3.jpg

IMG_1433_zps5770f961.jpg

IMG_1447_zps8b7ef786.jpg

one lovely 4age

IMG_1448_zps66cd13c2.jpg

• Like 3

Next step was to pull the fuel tank out and start figuring out what the sotry with the current fuel pump set up is, as far as fuel returns etc go.

I managed to get a small low psi fuel pump off Beaver, so wont need to run any sort of returns or anything.

Can someone tell me if the pipe coming out on the side of my fuel tank is a factory Datsun item? or was it installed simply to run a return for the EFI? If so I will just block it off. factory fuel line at the front of the tank has been modified also.

IMG_1436_zps14f87b52.jpg

IMG_1439_zps6b96d9be.jpg

and lovely location of EFI fuel pump, will install my new pump in similar location.

IMG_1441_zpsb147bf94.jpg

So anyway, motor is out, and next is the modified Datsun cross member to suit the custom 4age mounts. If anyone would like to buy this setup please let me know!

Managed to get a b110 cross member off member Dadams, who had been hoarding it for the 1200 he no longer owns. this has also been modified slightly to suit a 4age lol. But is just a temp measure until I get another factory one, which I think I have lined up somewhere north of Auckland.

IMG_1449_zps07f63d53.jpg

IMG_1457_zpse56fe07b.jpg

While Im at it I'm changing to coupe struts to gain some disc brakes.

Originally when I bought this pick up, the factory drum brake struts had been upgraded to Series 5 RX& stuff. Which was terrible, as cpuldnt run anything under a 15 inch wheel.

Managed to pick up some struts off Cheater 5, however they are missing calipers and one disc. But ha, lucky for me, mark aka Madbuz, who bought Cheater 5s epicly rad 1200 pick up, had ungraded the brakes on his, so I am getting the disc and calipers off that. I love when things work out.

IMG_1455_zps8022132d.jpg

• Like 1

ok.

so I sat the motor in the hole today........

did not go well.

what ever mounts I have don't go with what ever cross member I have.....

plus, the clutch fork is hitting against the trans tunnel, so its all up the shit.

not sure what I need really to correct it all. damn datsuns. if this was a Toyota it would be done already lol.

plus kinda not keen to actually sort out my mounts as this is not the final cross member I will be running, and unsure what the one I am waiting on is even going to be.

so I don't know......... guess will keep fucking around on little bits for now.

but may just end up concerntrating on another car for now till I have the actual cross member I will be using............

however if someone knows what mounts I need or why mine don't work, let me know :) oh and whats up with my clutch fork location.............

IMG_1458_zps9906f667.jpg

IMG_1460_zpsb43874fd.jpg

IMG_1463_zps9cac7e0b.jpg

yay cars yay

• Like 1