Jesse's 1983 rx60 hack

The vehicle was purchased for a small sum due to being deregistered and the 21r knocking on heavens door, i have no intention of road registering it. first thing i did after purchase was adjust the rideheight and buy some japanese wheels 

2zpqjd5.jpg

pictured with my daily driven 73 mercedes

zkl9xw.jpg

29vbihf.jpg

like everyone i wanted more dish so, i managed to locate a pair of 4x120 14x7.5 +2 superstar racing tri spokes like the a3as with centrecaps (to solve the problem of my missing one)so had them shipped and harvested them for their lips, i had the front lips split off my four and fitted two 7.5 lips to one pair and the left over rear halves to the other pair, this does make changing tyres a pain an will eventually replace with new 4" lips when they become available

the result is 14x9-24 and 14x7.5 0

1zplhds.jpg

2dqm5x2.jpg

2wqgbkk.jpg

5le3w3.jpg

i then borrowed an idea from a fellow os member and made this from a hub from pickapart and a motor i got from a garage sale 

13z1pts.jpg

2croh6x.jpg

1g0poy.jpg

29y1203.jpg

the end result with 185/50s 

2m2jpqw.jpg

• Like 3

somewhere among all this wheel distraction i purchased a pretty bare 2jzge that has a lot of random bolts missing and sensors for $350 from trademe, i then purchased a set of the jz-x6 engine mounts that had been already watercut by a fellow os member and had my dad weld them up according to the plans i found, in order to fit the motor i had to swap from the 21r crossmember to the 1g crossmember from the blue gx60r at zebra, I also had to change the sump to a front sump.a gx61 manual conversion -minus the box-was then purchased and installed

• Like 1

a w55 from an os member was then purchased an delivered via os courier as well as a jz-w bellhousing which brings me to now 

2j34cbk.jpg 2jzge sitting in its home.That hideous blue will be getting kicked off

vnf9yw.jpg the sx80 w55 with jz-w bellhousing fitted 

1z35rbb.jpg

2jb2vid.jpg great success, although this is a 'hack' i plan on keeping the full interior tidy and original and am reluctant to cut anything other than springs  :badgrin:

• Like 1

still to do- 

purchase flywheel/ clutch and install

install manual driveshaft which i have

purchase 2nd engine with loom ecu and all sensors etc

sort out fuel system-originally carb so this will take a bit of work which i dont know a lot about

radiator to suit 

wire up 

make 9s fit.

skid 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

have been chiiping away, swapped hanger bearing off auto front half of driveshaft onto my manual lx80 front half and installed, purchased a clutch (ouch) and an alloy redline radiator which looks to be from a ae101, waiting on new flywheel bolts to arrive before dropping the motor into its home for the last time hopefully

14jns7p.jpg

mhr6g9.jpg

4izxqe.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased ARP flywheel bolts and a new rear crank seal today and installed seal, assembled flywheel and clutch and dropped the 2nd 2jzge into the car. Everything slotted in ok except for the rear exhaust manifold hitting steering box, i took the back manifold off and got engine onto mounts, Im pretty confident if I remove the top two studs from head i can get the manifold on and then screw studs back in.

Flywheel bolts listed as 4age ones, i read conflicting arguments on internet that they were too short but screwed one in as far as it would go and measured remaining thread against flywheel and it was perfect.

2zztdoi.jpg

dq3kli.jpg

clutch/flywheel assembled before dropping engine in hopefully for the last time 

24ezxgg.jpg

v6heuu.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

the engine bay currently

2ex99on.jpg

decided to start having a look at the wiring and plan where to put the ecu and where to bring loom through firewall, pulled out some of the aircon unit to make room for ecu in cabin 

fyphf4.jpg

2cia6wp.jpg

will cut between these two holes where the water pipes came out as tidy as possible and bring loom and plugs through there 

nofx5k.jpg

shows the room i have to work with infront to fit fan and radiator 

4vjxuu.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

cut the small section out and fed the plugs through to cabin, still need to seal up and bolt the rubber to firewall

25ztidt.jpg

made a bracket for the ecu to sit where the aircon unit was

igxc83.jpg

scored a starter motor off the aristo at zebra and bolted that up today,grabbed the main power cable with it as well and bolted that up with stock alternator cable just need to solder ground wire with plug to existing loom

x0saph.jpg

have been trawling through the internet looking at all the writeups on 2jzge wiring hoping to achieve this myself.Looking like i just need to hook up switched power feeds to a few of these pins and buy a couple of relays

2r6zbkj.jpg

once its all sorted i will put the glovebox and covers back in to keep it looking as tidy as possible 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have been working hard trying to get this running for helensville burnout competition on the 31st January. Mounted the alloy radiator, found a fan belt to delete ac but keep powersteering, purchased a new walbro external inline fuel pump and a coil and battery from zebra. Bought genuine toyota bellhousing to block bolts, timing belt cover bolts and exhaust manifold gaskets. Ive managed to use the 21r powersteering lines with the 2jzge pump by removing the banjo bolt and screwing in the flare type fitting (unsure of correct name).Most of the wiring is complete i just need to setup another two relays for fuel pump and injectors.pictures will be added when i figure out how to post off mobile

• 1 month later...