12R Toyota Thermostat

nobangmycar

My Hilux runs a little colder than I would like on the gauge, so I took a look at the thermostat on Monday and it has a brand new aftermarket 82deg one in there.  TT240-180.  I never trust aftermarket thermostats in Toyotas, and I have had a bad run with aftermarket thermostats in the past in all sorts of applications.  The genuine thermostat listed @ Toyota is apparently 82/95... does this refer to 2 temperatures?  I worked @ Partmaster for years and understand part numbers, but never struck this in a thermostat.  Some sort of dual stage thermo?  Anyone else had this problem?

Yea it will be a range. Depending on the engine and state of the cooling system I am pretty keen on 80 degree thermostats in most old cars. Sure its doesn't help fuel economy, but its a massive difference under the hood from a 80 to 95/100 degree thermostat, might save a M series from a BHG up a hill haha. Should try a decent gauge at some point and see what temps it actually operates.

Cheers for your help fellas.  I think I will just spend the not much dollars and get a genuine thermostat.  Thanks for your help styles, I am constantly frustrated by not being in the parts game any more with access to all the catalogues!!!