Leaf springs, who knows about the steels and working them.

artyone

I wouldn't dare mention what I might or might not know when going into places where big machinery and fire requires hand operation and that type of knowledge that needs time to become a mixture of intelligence, knowledge and feeling. I've wandered in once or twice and appreciated how far in I'd be able to get while seeking someone to ask my simplistic questions. With my own style of metal artwork I'm often called a blacksmith but I know for sure that absolutely none of it is actual blacksmithing.

Anyways as the days go on the idea of making fibreglass leaf springs is increasingly drawing me in. In what I'm planning such an idea is a statement of rationality I can make use of... especially if I could find a way to use very old lever action dampeners in rod actuated system. Such mixtures of new and old really appeal.

But I'm off to Archers today anyways as I spotted a big pile of old church wood free for the taking in Manurewa last night and Takanini is just down the road.

There is also the added benefit of the fibreglass springs when mounted in two places as opposed to singly in the middle as in the historic use of traverse springs where one going up and one going day acts as a rollbar would by forming an S shape between the two outer pressures.

The people mover spring must be massive!!!

Maybe tortron... maybe.

Went to Archers and after a wee chat with the lovely lady behind the counter I got to draw a picture of what I might want just so'as I can get a ballpark amount. She was quite impressed by the details so we went for a walk to see the headman... but he was non-committal and wouldn't leave his work and said to her... with me in earshot and a quick glance, that he'd have a look and call.

I liked that... the man's time is money and we all have to figure out ways to deal with customers that balances the chinwag with getting on with actually making the pinga... I hope I haven't wasted to much of the man's time. Maybe I'll do a really good drawing and send it through!

But I'll go to pick a part first and spend time crawling around under vehicles... trying to figure out what and why!

Warren from Archers rang back and it was only $60.00 for each set of four leaves... brilliant. I reckon though that the car I'm building would be about 700-750 k, maybe quite a bit less, and the springs I drew up were capable of 582k per set.

I think, even though it's cheap to do these things and alot less than I thought they would be, it might pay, not cash wise but time wise, to go look at the widths and thicknesses of steel he has and devise something where the longest lower leaves are thinner material and work ou through thicker material as the springs get shorter... this way a progressive rate could be achieved with it quite springy, bouncy for the first inch or two for general straight line stuff but hardening up as rolling into corners commences... or maybe softer springs and stiffer roll bars. Ponder time!  

• Like 1