Japawagons Alfa GT Junior

japawagons

Hahaha cheers Guys. These threads can get pretty photo heavy.

I have news, I HAVE DRIVEN 7 MILES!!!!

And my god she has some balls... Different car....

New points set probably helped substantially as well...

Now to get the windows back in and get some more running in done...

• Like 3

So today Keegan bolted everything back to the engine, set the timing, plugged up some power and cranked up some oil pressure

IMG_20140322_161107_zpsc452b5ec.jpg

NOS Alfa Romeo sparkies

IMG_20140322_174125_zpsae78de27.jpg

Setting the points and static timing

IMG_20140322_182311_zps7bc634d3.jpg

New rubber hinges for the rear windows (these deteriorated over time and one of the windows fell out)

IMG_20140322_195716_zps0e4641fa.jpg

IMG_20140322_195659_zps95cdd64e.jpg

Not pictured is the new door seals, or the car once fully assembled, but damn it runs nice!

• Like 3

So the tally is now @ 180 Miles. Everything seems to be going well. Small exhaust leak and small coolant leak from weird Block Drain Tap, so I shall tidy those up.

I've spent the last couple of days tidying a few little bits and pieces that have been driving me crazy since getting the car running originally.

Noisey Brakes. My god they were the worst brakes I've ever heard.

A new set of Bendix pads with some CPlus Backing Shims did the trick, much better stopping performance as well.

rqjg.jpg

The Fuel Gauge was the most inaccurate piece of shit ever, ClassicAlfa are a bunch of muppets and sent me the wrong sender unit, I modified it to fit but the resistance is just completely wrong. So I sorted a second hand Jaeger unit and after a bit of testing it appears to be much more accurate.

ocq4.jpg

Gave her a wheel alignment. Really need to shell out for a new set of decent rubber but still recovering from the Engine Rebuild.

l158.jpg

f6ah.jpg

And finally cleaned off the old adhesive and reattached the gay 80's anti-dent trim along the L/H Rear Guard, I really want to take it all off but the paint is shagged and it will look much worse so I shall live with it for now. I also need to track down some sweet chrome end caps for it to tidy it up.

0ihzb.jpg

xly5.jpg

Til next time...

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Long time no post.

Since last time, I have daily driven the old girl for about 3months. Gave the carbs a birthday, and run out of fuel in the middle of a giant round about because of the worlds most inaccurate fuel gauge sender. The gauge reads 3/4 Full when the fuel tank is damn near overflowing and works until it drops to just below 1/2 full and then stays there, but moves around a fair bit.

I'll order another fuel sender in the new year and hope like hell they send me the right one this time.

So I was avoiding investigating a rather awful piece of floor in the passengers foot well for a little while but when I put a jack on the lift point and basically put the jack through the floor I decided I had to do something about it.

Unfortunately no photos. But it's now got a nice new piece of floor that's a much more solid than the original piece.

• Like 1

The passengers door was starting to bubble out and the paint was just completely fucked. I got sick of looking at it when it was parked on the side of the road, so I decided to strip it back. Then pull of the door completely. The internal frame and door skin were pretty rotten so I've been slowly rebuilding this and I managed to source a half skin here in NZ so I'm slowly stitching that in at the moment.

When I finally get my own garage the plan is to re-skin both doors when I repaint the entire car.

Anyway words are gay, here are some photos of some shoddy panel beating.

YhU7sr.jpg

• 1 month later...

So a few photo's...

Disappeared to the south island for the championship rounds doing V8 things...

Missed getting this ready for Leadfoot, which was a tad disappointing. But was pretty busy getting the race car ready for the journey south.

Anyway Door's sitting in primer. Ready to be painted. Finished the sill, primed and flattened to merge where the silly trim strip sat down the passengers side.

4DOKSr.jpg

hiS8aF.jpg

mV2xKI.jpg

• Like 3

Anyway, it's a bit rushed, but it's just to keep the car solid and tidyish for the time being.

Off to Manfeild for the weekend tomorrow otherwise I'd probably have this close to finished.

Excuses, excuses.

I just want to drive it before the good weather disappears again.

• 4 weeks later...

QNctab.jpg

I decided this is no longer a legitimate way of securing the exhaust. The exhaust mount broke the 1st time I took it anywhere. Cable ties have done the trick of a long time now. Took less than an hour to do a proper job.

DkZqv3.jpg

XCs0D7.jpg

I also redid the next mount along as that was also broken.

Didn't take any photo's though so it probably didn't even happen.

I brought over a few more bits an pieces from Alfaholics in the UK.

I've fitted a complete set of aluminum door seal channels. A few were missing and so the new door seals I had never really worked. I was trying to just find the missing ones but was having no success. I also got a passengers side window winder to replace the non alfa one that had been fitted.

jCRr14.jpg

Finally got around to fitting the new mirror this morning, the one that was on it was completely fucked. Tried on several occasions to rebuild it but it never could withstand 100 Km/h air pressure.

To be honest I don't really like the new one, it looks a bit funny on the vehicle but it's handy to have.

GtJYpu.jpg

EtSwCF.jpg

Back to the race car.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...