Cams mk2 Cortina Deluxe Project

About 4 months ago i purchased my first real project car, a 1969 Ford Cortina.Now i have done cars up before,from lowering springs, mag wheels and repaints but never have i decided to take on such a project of this magnitude.i wanted a hard out project  and there was only one i have ever wanted, the mk2 Cortina.

It all happened by accident.i had a checklist in my mind of what i wanted.

1)it had to be a mk2

2)it needed to be mostly complete

3)rego on hold if possible

and lastly it needed lots of work.

i wanted to get one that needed saving.A FULL rebuild,i wanted to do everything from paint to engine resto and one day browsing on trade me i came across a guy selling a mk2 boot lid.I decided to ask this guy if he had any cortina mk2 bodys available.He asked me to ring him and left his number.So i gave him a call and he said he had a couple of options and to come have a look.

So when i got there i saw this.

olyrjkly.5qi.jpg

oqyl4wuo.qe2.jpg

MINE.....but it needed ALOT of work.

ne51fxme.anf.jpg

m3w1jmtw.io3.jpg

3ylidhuf.1xk.jpg

h2caxmx3.n3b.jpg

l04brkiz.25u.jpg

b0slxlvk.mxz.jpg

it doesnt look like much i know but its getting the full treatment.i have done a few things in the 4 months ive had it  so will post the progress in a couple of days.

• Like 2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So stripped it have stripped it down and found some rust to do.

eohp1w4d.yfz.jpg[/url]

first the pillar rust

nqxzqtsz.kgg.jpg[/url]

vopaeste.vha.jpg[/url]

rgrrxezc.gnw.jpg[/url]

gsy3p0bg.144.jpg[/url]

and the floor

0wfuaqv3.2yy.jpg[/url]

and sill

5gqtjwsp.5ec.jpg[/url]

did some roof too.grinded down to bare metal

ofyyg2ck.ool.jpg[/url]

i applied crc rust converter with a brush and wiped it off to make a good film on the metal but also lets it sneak into the pitted areas

0ovjok5w.cbb.jpg[/url]

and then a coat of 2k etch primer(the primer requires a hardner which gives it very strong sealing)

cn30q2j0.1u5.jpg[/url]

i will have more updates in a few days.

• Like 1

Have grinded down left rear quarter which is extremely good condition with a couple of old repairs on it

zp3vjnsz.heu.jpg[/url]

and have finished welding my rust but  i found some more on the c pillar and welded that.i gave the side a coat of etch aswell as my rear guard

z4bapgz2.405.jpg[/url]

started filling some dents on the quarter and fitted my second hand doors. i sent the left rear to get sandblasted and etched the inside of that

3wvgar13.1h4.jpg[/url]

xfd0o3fl.4bv.jpg[/url]

and started pulling some bits off the engine.im sticking with the orginal 1300 and restoring it.i know some people are goin to think thats silly but i want to  keep it orginal and to be honest how many 1300 deluxes do you see restored.

dwbszow2.ud2.jpg[/url]

so thats my update for now i want to thank dave at papakura blasters for looking after my sand blasting at a good price but want to end on a tech question if any one can help.

looking at my generator which looks poked i wanted to know what is needed to change it to a alternator type in ways of wiring?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So been a little busy but heres a update on the deluxe

So ive finished filling my repairs on the front a pillar , sill and have striped the paint off the boot jam. Put another etch primer down ready for when im ready to do a full primer filler.

dozxmy1a.u3k.jpg[/url]

lot5uno5.32i.jpg[/url]

2pyhtguv.4mo.jpg[/url]

ozfspvxs.qkq.jpg[/url]

i have pulled the engine out and found some rust on the front panel,valance, and under the battery tray. Some cowboy has done a shocker repair and cut the chassis rail midway and to top it off layed it with a ton of filler

ej55zgs3.2ha.jpg[/url]

a0egbt2u.utq.jpg[/url]

edpbz2jl.rl1.jpg[/url]

so i opened up the sill for repair.bit of surface rust in their too.

nhzzh5b4.rdw.jpg[/url]

So got front lower panel off and found a guy who makes some replacement panels for the mk2 in auckland.they arent exactly the same but are a good substitute and better than buying some parts from the uk for a shitload.

dip3eh1w.u13.jpg[/url]

ttxcby2r.xrh.jpg[/url]

ccnooafa.ujm.jpg[/url]

so welded the lower panel on

tbyistrq.pxl.jpg[/url]

h2zmggi4.jbu.jpg[/url]

so all in all its coming together alright so will update in a week or so

naotjlai.nat.jpg[/url]

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To swap a gen for an alternator is straight forward, just need to get the right orientation fan. ( should be clockwise when looking from the front) Mounting is straight forward, but you may have to space the pulley forward to line up correctly. Plugs should go on fine - make sure your car is neg earth! You will need to bypass the regulator on the inner left guard. I can't remember which wire does what - search features at classicfordmag.co.uk, there's a how to guide in PDF for downloading. Also Burton stock a dynamator for a period look (alternator that looks like a dyno) not cheap though.

Good luck, let me know if you need and advice

• 2 months later...

Hey all quick update on my mk2

got most of the floor rust repaired and etched now and a couple of doors sandblasted and repaired.just fixing some of the guard and slowly painting suspension bits and peices.heres some pics.

url=http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=myo2jhzn.wgq.jpg]myo2jhzn.wgq.jpg[/url]

hdl2c41e.2dd.jpg

Ill do some pics of the diff soon and some parts ive painted.

ohgt00l2.3xe.jpg

gwxmilgs.brf.jpg

0umv0eqj.sxu.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anzac day update

So I etched my engine bay up and started work on the drivers side were I found more rust to keep me occupied. Stripped my guard back to bare metal and etched it. Anyways heres some pics

zazhpjta.gz2.jpg

5qa1p4xj.ugk.jpg

2m4v2vms.gh0.jpg

vaepvhi1.vwq.jpg

And was checking out the sill and it was pretty far gone with rust. So just bought one on ebay and its on its way 15 days or so. Thats all I got another update soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey did some painting this weekend and got my cross member and leaf springs plus other goodies done in gloss black.

qwx3waro.yrg.jpg

qohuq2nm.ehc.jpg

jgcxb4au.5nf.jpg

and ive been working on my sill. Replacement sill from uk fell through so I decided to make my own.

v12z5kyv.sli.jpg

hquc0l00.fn1.jpg

bkx2xvy5.1kl.jpg

uqoil0i3.f0w.jpg

Ive painted alot of bits but I wrapped them up as I went along so will take a pic at unwrap time. Enjoy

• Like 4

So this weekend got a couple of hours to do some work on the car. I kept going with the sill and I got sidetracked and did the underbody. Dirtiest job ever! But made dent in it. Trying to get rear half done so I can get the diff in to get it back on all wheels. I just gave it a wire brush looking out for surface rust to clean.

mlmc3xgt.21j.jpg

wvm0zphc.yku.jpg

2hchq2e3.lkl.jpg

51hnqoxb.aa5.jpg

5bijfg3g.ef1.jpg

And I found a rust hole. Well I guess I should fix it.

lum5uoji.3df.jpg

Im slowly getting there. Until next time.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So been busy with work last couple of weeks and havent had much cortina time but was able to get some welding done today on that stupid rust I found.

odfiprmp.aep.jpg

kmgrujdm.lrl.jpg

rfc4h4ig.ve5.jpg

tx5fvrfr.sjm.jpg

satp51yk.vyb.jpg

And repainted my heater box

frlocgcb.qhj.jpg

qnou5pnp.onz.jpg

Im doing my front struts next week so will take some pics and update. Cheers

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow oldschoolers just a update for you. Sorry it been so long but was unable to log in for some reason.

so as you recall I had cleaned alot of the underbody down for resealing. I gave it a etch first and thought it wise to give it a brush seal on the seams before I underbody seal.

u0pjkdcj.idi.jpg

x1ih1xzx.tej.jpg

3gmryg1g.hoy.jpg

ivtdqui3.b1p.jpg

And I couldnt resist putting the diff in and wheels on

gwllranw.npv.jpg

And im doing the front now

goiqmsay.qqy.jpg

and my front struts ready and waiting fully restored. I did a couple of changes to them. I got 2 brand new camry inserts and some toyota corolla strut tops which bolt into the original strut holes. O and lowered springs.

uydql2g3.ve0.jpg

[url=http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.as

That is all

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone been real busy lately doing a couple of repaints for some people to get a bit of cash in the back pocket for the cortina so finally heres a update.

So im still doing the panel work slowly but decided to make a start on the engine for something a lil different. Sent my cylinder head off and got some 1600 valves installed and new valve seats put in too.

n4yv5cx1.ubk.jpg

I put the block on the stand and pulled that all apart. Im glad I did because the camshaft and bearings were screwed but the crank is in great condition which is fab.

2fmazr2g.0qj.jpg

2nt14ani.ely.jpg

dck0cegq.yqe.jpg

Its my first engine rebuild but im having some fun doing it. Im replacing all bearings and gaskets etc. If you have any tips pm me any lil help is appreciated.

q4zqwau0.krw.jpg

Thats my update for now enjoy.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CORTINA UPDATE.......

its been a busy time for me on the cortina lately. I have been pushing hard to get things ready for priming the engine bay and getting engine bits painted and fitted too.

Looking to get it painted in march but if im busy it will get pushed back. Anyway heres some pics for you guys.

eob3mlbr.0cl.jpg

q1fqigcd.u2g.jpg

eznewqtr.usj.jpg

hze0ceco.ugf.jpg

and heres one of the engine.

xpfvi0uy.sq0.jpg

Thats all for now.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

So where were we.....well since last time ive sanded most the engine bay and I finally finished my bonnet. Ive been slowly getting my parts together but I still couldnt get my hands on a front panel. So I had to make my own from the one I had a crack at making before. It will take a while but I dont have a choice. So heres some pics for everyone.

pzlzsnyz.0cl.jpg

5fikkwnu.0fw.jpg

04y3jvrt.hlf.jpg

wyxjpmqn.3y1.jpg

12bx2pqw.ct1.jpg

Till next time

• Like 4