3sge

crooked

I'm going to be putting a 3sge into my corona, I'm about to purchase an engine but I'm unsure what I'm looking at.

I don't really want to use a 3sgte because of the re routing water lines, modding bellhousings etc to move the starter away from the exhaust manifold, inlet etc etc.

I was planning on using a gen 5 3sge from an altezza, popping it open forging etc. would an oil cooler help with not having oil squirters to keep the piston crown temp down?

I want to make 5 - 600hp

Any info would be great

The Altezza engine is the best option by far, but as you know they require a change of pistons to get the compression down to a boostable level. 

An oil cooler is a good idea and Beams engines have oil squirters too. 

IMO you would be best to start with an auto engine because they have steel valves which is supposedly better suited to boost applications. A few guys change the collet/retainer setup to deal with boost better too. 

This one's a good deal: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=625597745 

• Like 2

They're definitely a capable engine. If you want to lower the compression, you'll need to get aftermarket pistons. 3SGTE 8.9:1 pistons will still give it close to 10:1 compression due to the different combustion chamber, so you're best to get Beams specific pistons. 

The head design is awesome compared to the earlier engines and you'll be able to make good gains throughout the rev range with the VVTi.