rb drifters' 82 ex lancer

discuss here

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39423-rb-drifters-82-ex-lancer/

ive finally decided to add build thread for this lil gem 6 months after purchasing it....  

so the story begins when i bought this roughly 6 months ago from kaitaia off a 18 year old going to uni and needed funds, he got off an elderly lady that barely drove it local in kaitaia. 

it was fully standard, 1.6 auto. 

no wof, rego on hold

so straight away i removed the 1.6 auto with intentions of putting a 12a bridgeport in it, 

i lowered rear using new mirage shocks and cut 626 superlow kingsprings, sits on bumps and captive as.

put my 14x6.5 dunlop te on it with two brand new 185/55r14 hankook tyres and two same size hankooks off my hearts. i used this size tyres to keep wheel diameter same as standard.

i then got a bosskit and wood wheel off my mate, 

replaced the smashed passenger window it came with new one,

changed fuel cap to one i had off my very first sigma. some people may think it looks stupid but it means something to me and my mates. has a long story behind it.

then this is the breakthrough when i woke up and relised gap this rotary business and get a 4g63 motor.

so 4g63s aint cheap but i set upon finding a whole car cause i needed few other bits too.

this is when i found out my old sigma wagon was up for sale cause it was pink stickered, i pestered the people selling it for about two-three weeks before i got it for what i wanted to pay. i used the starion front suspension out of it for lancer as it had good brakes and superlow e30 bmw springs that were cut. un fortunately the driveshaft was too long and gearbox shifter hit the tunnel in lancer.

so thanks to damien i got a ex lancer driveshaft.

i got a l200 box and removed rear housing to swap shifter shafts over onto my sigma box.

also had to make adaptor plate for gearbox crossmember to bolt to gearbox.

so now it runs thanks to dave giving me a hand with engine swap.

it is low, slow and looks super sweet.

im not finshed with it yet  as i still want to do alot more to it once money alows.

my bigger dreams are for me to know and you guys to find out once i do them

next on list is a wof and rego. 

my personal wof list so far 

-fix exhaust leak

-fix window squirters

-brakes need attention as get stuck on sometimes.

- shave bumpstops to give more travel

and pics....

old engine 1.6litre

02wr.jpg

j128.jpg29w0.jpgqd3f.jpgrg5v.jpg

new engine 2.0 litre

ux9l.jpg5osi.jpg8m6o.jpgozpl.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Got this sweet gem a wof and rego. Needed lh tierod end and battery clamp to pass. also I have been collecting new 2" exhaust pipe and a coby and extractors. Also got 32/36 webber carb thanks to Bigfoot. Haven't yet fitted as I want a spare daily car while I do this to lancer.

have sussed a vr4 4g63t dohc turbo motor off a mate, had a cracked gasket but comes with new head.

will do new bearings and rings, gaskets etc  and get this puppy ready to drop in but may take a while as funds to do this don't grow on trees.

have sorted a laurel for my daily car so hope to get a few things done to the sohc setup in the meantime.

• 4 months later...

long time since an update have just been daily this for a while,  but I do get the motivation to do stuff every now and then,

put the extractors on with 2" pipe all the way through to a 2" coby at the rear, sounds alrite considering lack of muflers.

also the new ex I got came on pretty mint 15x8 rota rkr wheels with 195/45 tyres so I put them on to keep it looking floss

6y8a.jpgsm0f.jpg

took this up to cape reinga and back over new years and run mint used oil as allways but that's just what mitsis do, deon gave it a minta wheels alignment and took the play outta my steering box. also ordered new bushes to put my starion sway bar in finally.

and then the cluch blew as I was turning around in my driveway.........

was bound to happen though it does get hammered

so now I have two ex lancer sitting in my drive that wont go anywere haha

ibo0.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

long time since an update, now has a lock diff for that sweet two wheel action, also the exhaust snapped off on the motorway last weekend from too much hammering from speedbumps, so now has 2.5" all the way through to a dumpy muffler, sounds alrite but still a couple of leaks i need to attend to. 

the motor is using alot of oil atm so since kaikohe burnouts is this weekend ill give it a run in there and try finish it off once and for all!  then ill have a good excuse for another engine swap...

video of my first ever attempt in burnout comp.  two more videos to come just waiting for them to upload.

car was on the hot line allday long doing skids and still runs after its thrashing, didnt even use much water, won a prize for most epic burnout as i got 3rd gear with my broken foot, not in this vid but the next one ill upload

• Like 1