Phat-Tina's MK 1 Cortina

So after going to Nats in April with my Fiance (Anglia4) I thought it was about time to get myself my dream car... MK 1.

It didn't take me long to find a minta in Oamaru. We flew from New Plymouth to CHCH, drove to Oamaru, and then drove all the way back to NP.... all in one weekend. She didn't miss a beat!!!

I have been driving it daily (when it's not raining as it leaks like a sieve) and I get many looks and waves at traffic lights and petrol stations.

The steering has started to become a bit loose so last week we decided to put it up on the hoist to see what needs upgrading. The whole car is totally original so some much needed love and time is needed. Starting with replacing the very buggered bushings. 

I am also adding some 2013 comfort with a hidden stereo, and going to camouflage some modern speakers into the back... photos to come. 

null_zps91b7f364.jpg

No rust!! we couldn't believe it. The plus side of being a car from the south east! 

null_zps47506d95.jpg

Nerve racking moment putting it up on the hoist (It's set up for bigger cars)

d50196df-01af-4bec-b654-ce35e3105c5b_zps

null_zps51a0e5ff.jpg

null_zps7f0d7918.jpg

The bushings are long over due to be replaced.. this is all that was left

null_zpsb1959c4d.jpg

She even carries our tandem :-)

Discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39364-phat-tinas-mk1-cortina/?hl=phat-tina%26%2339%3Bs

• Like 9

• 1 year later...

I'll have to get Lou to update this with the stereo she built as it came out really nice.

Anyway, we are off to Nelson for her brothers wedding in November and this is going to be one of the bridal cars.

An ongoing issue we have been having is a strong petrol smell in the boot, has anyone had experience with that? Any ideas? Or good remedies to get rid of the smell?

I've replaced the breather tube (it didn't quite reach through the floor) and also replaced the filler tube as it was getting a bit old, hard and cracked.

Due to the smell and its effect on our lugguage, I've decided to build a bit of a roof rack for it.

I couldn't find any nice old racks when I was looking, so for $20 I bought an old basic roof rack, and then used it to go and buy some steel.

FCEF3E76-EF89-4308-812D-1371FAFF647E_zps

Next I got some pipe and angle and made a mandrel, then with the help of Duke-Blackwood, we heated and bent the steel. I was pretty stoked with how it came out for a fairly rough first attempt at this sort of thing.

DSCN1456_zps7c889cb1.jpg

DSCN1458_zps59247004.jpg

46F350BF-8F87-4446-87EE-ECC3D3DD606C_zps

And finally how it is currently

D3CBB9FC-A066-4161-95EE-F7390B800D05_zps

Still a bit to do but I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far. I've sized it so it will fit on my anglia as well (if I ever finish it...)

• Like 3

As promised, here is the stereo install we did.

The bracket I welded up.

8BE8EF51-8ED2-4A91-957F-6C0F34206F37_zps

The speakers Lou made (excuse the tape, we broke the glove box latch on day 1... still haven't found one)

1C3376DC-3C78-445E-BF62-E3DB54726677_zps

I decided that the radiator was looking a bit shabby and could do with replacing before the next long haul. Being an avid hoarder of shit, despite never owning a mk1 cortina before, I happen to have one in stock... score.

70A50556-B6F2-4575-AE21-9F66AE7DB274_zps

For completeness of records, here is the boot with no petrol tank

FEBFB0F3-2631-4782-89F0-9DA585F96E10_zps

And here is how the roof rack looked yesterday (it has more paint on it now, use your imagination)

E672B18A-E31A-45EC-A071-9FDC3256A379_zps

• Like 2

Hmmm, maybe that old radiator doesn't look so bad after all...

2EC714F9-C0CA-4B2F-897E-808BD13F66BE_zps

I'll get the new one repaired but in the mean time the old one is back in the hole.

Also, been slow going on the roof rack front as I spend 5 mins laying down varnish and then waiting a day for it to go off ready for the next coat.

5A36DDD1-49DD-49F2-902B-33BED8C4D09D_zps

54A467B5-1637-414B-85E0-2FA5B8E3166E_zps

20805E39-3FE7-49A8-AF17-5E6BBF417A7C_zps

Its just sitting up there for the moment. I'll bolt it down when I find my motivation again :)

I'm semi-happy with how it looks on that old roof rack. In the future I might make a new lower frame for it to get a nicer shape and sit it a little closer to the roof.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well we made it to Nelson and back for the wedding.

We were pretty heavily loaded so I took it pretty easy on the drive down. It never got hot or struggled though so I was pretty stoked with that.

I spent a few hours the day before the wedding cleaning it up and making it look spicko, but then when it arrived for the photos it was absolutely filthy and the driver said he'd had water spray up on the windscreen.

Bugger. Turns out that radiator I put back in a while back has a hole in it now.

Even so, topped up the water a few times through the week and it made it back to New Plymouth without any hassles.

Was an abolute handful driving from Whanganui to NP though, winds were gale force and with the suitcases on the roof it was a nightmare. 50mph all the way haha.

We had hoped to call in for a beer with Alex and Hannah in Nelson but ended up running out of time after helping the groom try and assemble his MG to a presentable state for the wedding (it went on a tow truck in the end haha)

IMG_1313_zps5aa42ee3.jpg

• Like 2

• 9 months later...