waste gate ports

chriscross

iv just pulled my waste gate of my rb20det, it was leaking so just a gasket. just wanting to know what port is best, witch I mean were you hook the vac hose in! there's a bottom port and top port. what's the difference? and what one do it use? its currently on the bottom port, that's how I hooked it up when installing it.

any help cheers!

Are you using a boost controller? If so, what type?

The top port is above the diaphragm where the bottom port is below it, applying boost pressure below the diaphragm when the top port is open will open the wastegate when it overcomes the spring pressure. Applying boost to the top port only will make the wastegate not open, also don't block the top port off when using the bottom port or the wastegate might not open.

If you have an electronic boost controller you can usually use both ports, it applies boost to the top port until it reaches full boost, this keeps the wastegate shut longer, in normal operation they will tend to start opening early.

I'm tired so this may not be accurate or actually make any sense at all.