steelies '79 ST80 carry van

Steelies

discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/39017-steelies-sweet-road-legal-coffin/

i nabbed this little sweety from Seedy Al's quality autos at hawkes boes mk5

never ceases to put a smile on the dial.

800cc (F8A) 4stroke 4spd

unboosted drums, naturally

10" bolt together 2-piece reyums, as in you take just the rims off the drums for wheel removal

composite body, 50/50 bog and rust

yeah

thanks Beaver for piccies

van3_zpsa2acd5c4.jpg

yay, flintstones

SAM_1643_zps6a10719a.jpg

SAM_1648_zps773f5679.jpg

SAM_1660_zpsadbcb56c.jpg

welded it up and set the underside of the van on fire in the process. fist time i've used a fire extinguisher on a car. messy! melted some shit, including throttle and choke cables. throttle worked again after some stuffing around but ended up with no choke cable. bought generic replacement 'super long' choke cable, about 600mm too short. horied up a half-n-half fix that worked till the next thing failed - brakes.

• Like 3

next up, some of this. once it lost the ability to lock up, ie standard braking procedure, i figured something was up. by thta i mean sludge and corrosion in the master cylinder.

if anyones interested it was $225 for master cyl rebuild - sleeve, seals and cleanup. and $160 for the hoses. waaa.

dont ask what suzuki charge for a choke cable, but i'd had enough of my hory-fix. see above for choke failure story.

SAM_1919_zps74d44f4d.jpg

next episode will involve slam.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...