TA22 Daily Driver build/resto

This is my 72 Ta22 build, its been on toymods for a while now but i thought id put it on here..

Project dicussion here: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/38745-matt-spitfires-ta22-daily-driver-buildresto/

I Picked this up from Wellington back in Novemember 2012.

I saw it on trademe and had to have it.

The Guy i bought it off got it off his brother who couldnt bring himself the part it out. the car sat in storage for 5+ years with the intentions of a restore but never got around to it so there is sat untouched for 5 years. He wanted it to go to someone who would put it back on the road so after talking to him i managed to talk him into a swap for an 82 kp60 starlet that i was tidying up with the intention of selling it on for a profit.

So this is how it looked when i bought it (Auction photos).
sdc12572.jpg
sdc12566u.jpg
228005851full.jpg
228005787full.jpg
228006286full.jpg
228005735full.jpg
228006286full.jpg
228006159full.jpg
228006054full.jpg
sdc12575o.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so im going to keep updating untill im upto date.

The plan with this car is a semi restore/tidy up then register it and use it as a daily driver. I have decided to try and get it as close to original running gear wise as its easier to re-register with factory motor so this old girl is getting a 2tgeu, im going to ditch the efi and run twin side draft mikuni solex carbs, extrators (extractors came on the motor when purchased off my mate) and a w55.

last picture in my previous post shows the roof. One of the previous owners that did the panel and paint skim bogged the roof as there were a few miner ripples, bog has shrunk and come away from the roof.

Work started in the new year, i only got 4 days off work over xmas and new years so im restricted to workin on the car in the weekends and the shed is 40km away from where i live.

Ta22 and Ra23 sitting in the utility shed while the garage has a concrete floor layed. Its only taken 10 years to get around to laying the concrete floor, up untill then i have built all of my cars including my first car in the gravel drive with the occasional visit to my dads work to drop in new motor, weld ect.
dscf4248wq.jpg

I bought these as a xmas present to myself 15x8 et0 and 15x9 et0 and for all those who hate cheap knock offs bare with me i have also purchased a set of japanese 15x6.5 2piece impul mesh wheels, the plan is to spin off the outer lip and get new outer shells made up and turn them into 3piece with plenty of dish! but for now the knocks wiill do..
dscf4252x.jpg

While the Ta22 was in the utility shed i stripped the roof back to bare metal and found a few small dents and a small amount of surface rust

Then came the big day. my dad his mate and i spent a saturday laying the new concrete floor.
dscf4259gz.jpg
dscf4257gg.jpg

As soon as the concrete had gone off in moved the celica.
dscf4260ik.jpg
dscf4261v.jpg
dscf4262n.jpg
dscf4264zy.jpg

And out came the 3tgteu.
dscf4265h.jpg
dscf4266e.jpg

More updates..

Roof stripped back, rust killed and etch primed.
dscf4297r.jpg
dscf4298.jpg

Popped into my old work while the old man was in there doing some jobs (pretty handy having a dad whose a foreman at a precision engineers, cnc's and everything!).

Winkle sprayed the cam cover then milled the raised detailing.
dscf4272n.jpg
dscf4282p.jpg

So one of the original owners must have lived close to the sea or up a muddy drive, the underside of the floor pan and steering/suspension components, diff ect are all covered in surface rust. All of the worst the rust seems to have ended up in the sills and tyre well, the floor hasnt rusted through anywhere its all just surface rust where the underseal had chipped off.
dscf4283w.jpg
dscf4284f.jpg
dscf4286t.jpg

Sills.
dscf4291l.jpg
dscf4294kd.jpg
dscf4295r.jpg

A few more updates from work done over the weekend.

Rusty tyre well.
dscf4394t.jpg

Removed the diff, fuel and break lines then started to strip back the underside of the floor pan and rear guards.

In a lot of the photos there is still a lot of dust and shit on panels after they were stripped, but majority of it is back to bare metal.

Rusty diff.
dscf4376p.jpg

inner rear guard before.
dscf4377b.jpg

after.
dscf4384p.jpg

rear floor section before.
dscf4379il.jpg

After.
dscf4383ip.jpg

shot from the back.
dscf4389n.jpg

I started from the front and worked my way backwards.
dscf4366h.jpg

Getting amongst the rust, covered in the shit!
dscf4362x.jpg

Also Striped back the bonnet. found a bit of bog hiding a dent aand rust in the corner. Anyone in NZ got a good condition bonnet to suit a ta22 they would like to part with?
dscf4392j.jpg

Heres the cam covers back on the 2tgeu.
dscf4307b.jpg
dscf4311s.jpg

New Sill showed up!
dscf4299l.jpg
dscf4301.jpg
dscf4300y.jpg

Sand blasted a few more bits.
dscf4368b.jpg

Heres the original colour on the inner door that was hidden by the door cards, It'll be going a similar silver when it comes time to give her a respray.
dscf4373xa.jpg

Heres a pic of some of the TA and RA parts and spares waiting their turn.
dscf4312y.jpg

I also stripped out the interior bit of rust under the rear parcel tray but it still seems to be reasonably intact, mainly surface hopefully.
dscf4380.jpg

I only got 1 day on the celica this w.e so didnt achieve a huge amount. But here what i did get done..

So i started stripping back the "better condition replacement bonnet" it weights a good 5-10kgs more than the one stripped back to bare metal in my previous post. Hmm i wonder why...
dscf4402e.jpg

The more i stripped it the more bog i found.
dscf4408t.jpg

The vents were just sitting on there to see how they looked (i forgot to grab them when i picked up the car so ive been waiting for the previous owner to send them and they only turned up saturday morning).
dscf4410.jpg

Its had a major repair, looks like its gone up the back of a truck/4x4 and the bonnet has gone under the deck/tray. You can seen where holes have been drilled for rivets to pull it back out then a generous layer of bog
dscf4413q.jpg

Just to give an indication of how much bog, 5-10mm in places which might explain the extra weight..
dscf4420ih.jpg

Wasted half the day on it then put it in the "too much work for little reward basket" ill just repair the other one for now.

Got a wire wheel into the rear tyre well, its going to need a few patches.
dscf4429w.jpg

Skimmed the rain gutter/sills both seem pretty rust free (the passenger side on my ra23 has a decent patch of rust)
dscf4431z.jpg

So i bought this car with no information, i have no idea who the last previous registered owner is i have no documents of previous registration, no number plates, is doesnt have a vin plate as its too old nor does it have the original plate number etched into the windows. Basically the car doesnt exist.

I did my research and found out the only way to get it re-vin'd and registered was to show proof of purchase and any other info to the police and get them to write me a letter stating that the vehicle was of no interest to the police eg not stolen or used in a robbery ect.

I got in contact with the guy i bought the ta22 off and he was good enough to give me a receipt for the purchase along with a photo copy of his license.

I took this receipt along with the model plate into the police station yesterday after work.
I explained the situation to an officer and after and hour and a half wait and a couple of degenerates with ankel bracelets asking me what i was in for, the officer came back to say that if the car was de-reg'd in the 90's/early 2000's then the info and its history may not of been transfered onto the new system so the car no longer existed.

He commented on what a nice car it was and wished me luck with the restoration/build and he also gave me this:
dscf4443.jpg

I can now take this into the testing station when the car is ready and it will allow me to re-vin and re-register the car with no previous history which is a huge weight off my shoulders.

These also showed up today.

15x6.5 32 et genuine impul meshies.
dscf4439a.jpg
dscf4440b.jpg
dscf4442w.jpg
dscf4441s.jpg

The plan is to spin off the outer lip and get some new lips made up to allow plenty of dished goodness to be had.

I've been a bit slack with the updates, the football season has started so I've been flat out with trials, matches, training ect.

I got a chance to go out to the shed last sunday and have a tinker with the new sills, took heaps of photos then the camera slid off the roof of the TA22 and smashed into a few unusable pieces, im trying to find a card reader so when i do ill upload those photos.

In the mean time ill upload some photos of todays efforts and fill in the blanks during the week.

So last Sunday i removed the doors and braced up the celica, cut out the rusty passenger side sill and cut the new sill to fit. i decided to keep the existing rear part of the sill (one-piece rear quarter) as most of it was rust free and weld the new sill over top wich allowed me to have a pne piece sill and delete the factory seem for a cleaner look.

So heres the new sill cut, drilled and sitting in place.
img1545zl.jpg
img1546n.jpg

Then i Clamped it in place and with a bit of help from the old man who applied preasure i spotted the sill on place.
img1547k.jpg
img1548en.jpg
img1551tf.jpg

Then tidied up the spot welds.
img1552iv.jpg
img1553nk.jpg
img1554sj.jpg
img1555v.jpg
img1556tp.jpg

A few more pics.
img1557va.jpg
img1558d.jpg
img1559hx.jpg
img1560wm.jpg

so work on the TA has been pretty slow the last few weeks, last sunday (21st) we had a bit of rain and my house got flooded its been unlivable so ive been staying at a mates while chasing up insurance companies and builders ect. But i managed to get out to the shed yesterday and get a few hours work in.

I cut out the drivers side sill, rust killed and etched primed and new sill cut to fit and spot welded in place.
img1565ba.jpg
img1567n.jpg
img1569d.jpg

I also flipped the centre on my impul meshies and mocked them up on the celica just for a laugh.
img1576ly.jpg
img1577df.jpg
img1579i.jpg

a bit of progress has been made over last two sundays, Firstly i got the underside of the floor etc cold sealed and then undersealed.

front underside..

img1603o.jpg
img1605pt.jpg

Rear Underside (spare tyrewell hasnt been sprayed yet as im going to get it fibre glassed for its re-vin and will then it will make way for a s/s drop tank).

img1607gc.jpg
img1609yo.jpg
img1611l.jpg
img1612wo.jpg

i also sprayed the front radiator and headlight support panel with anti stone chip paint.

img1622ue.jpg

Ive just been in the garage having a measure up with the impuls fitted to the car. ill be shortening the diff 25mm each side which will allow me to get the impuls widened up to 9.5-10" on the rear.

they will sit flush with the edge of the guards so i might take and extra 10mm (each side) off the dif that way i have the option of tucking the rims/tyres and then just run some spacers if i want to run the rims flush.

The fronts will most likely get widened to 7.5-8" because the TA is a 72 (pre facelift) the factory font guards dont have any real flare on the arch, toyota changed this in 73-74 and pumped the guards (if anyone has a spare set of later model ta22 front guards that they would be willing to part with then drop me a message). so for now im pretty limited, i dont reallly want to run flares id like to keep the factory lines.

So that being said, ive come to the decision that i wont be running my TE37 reps anymore so they are up for sale to fund some new outer lips for my impuls.

FS here:

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/38835-fs-15x8-et0-15x9-et0-te37-knock-offs-4x1144x100/

• Like 2

I got bored so i partially reassembled the front end. hopefully ill get a bit more time to work on it this weekend, its too freakin cold to get anything done after work, everything is frosted up by 6:30-7pm out where me shed is. not much of an excuse but its hard to get anything done when you hold on to a spanner and you cant feel your fingers after 15 seconds..

Im badly in need of a front bumper to suit a ta22 mine is dented and bent beyond repair and theres no chance of it ever lining up.. Anyone who can help can message me.

cheers

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/38745-matt-spitfires-ta22-daily-driver-buildresto/

Anyway everyone loves pictures..

gwdn.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

• 3 weeks later...

Got a couple of hours work done on the celica today, first job was to remove the front window its completely cracked.

I managed to get it out in one piece, there was a lot of sticky silicon shit an a couple of small patches of rust in the bottom corners and alont the bottom edge where the clips that hole the window chrome were but but noting major just surface rust.

vy0j.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

aksr.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

wppz.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.comv9qv.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

40nl.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

So i got in there with turp and a wire brush and cleaned it up it took a good couple of hours to get the screen out and clean it all up.

j9ej.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

p9hp.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

rie6.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

i3fr.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

ize5.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

When i got the car it didnt come with a gearbox cross member, the factory cross member on these celicas is mount to the chassis rails so its a lot wider than other factory toyota cross members.

So.. CNC'd up some steel plates to mount up to the w55 factory cross member.

dwxm.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

knlq.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

ly9z.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

gl1g.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

hthz.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

I also mocked up the throttle linkage as the factory throttle set up on the celica wasnt suited to side drafts (originally 2t-b twin carbs). I'll make up a proper bracket etc. but i just mocked it up to cut the cable to the correct length, its actually a throttle cable off a mk4 cortina.

0xrm.jpg[/img]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

So the front suspension, brake and calipers are all pretty shot, id say the calipers will be seized disks will need a skim and new brake pads etc. I got a quote to rebuild them at roughly $120 a caliper.

so i was browsing trademe and found a set of ae85 front struts, disks, and calipers.

The calipers have had a fresh rebuild with new brake pads and they cost less than what it would have cost to rebuild my calipers. so i had a bidding war and won them.

They turned up lastnight..

95c6.jpg
x1u.jpg

So tonight i installed the new front suspension, all i had to do was swap out the ae85 top hats for the ta22 ones and hey presto new front brakes on the TA for re-vin!

I forgot to grab the spring compressors from work so i just put in some ae70 lowering springs i had lying around untill i grab the spring compressors..

zgy9.jpg
inr8.jpg

After that i finished stripping the roof/rain gutters and put on a rust killer/primer.

Passenger side

rewr.jpg

wop1.jpg

dmfk.jpg

Drivers side

5me3.jpg
7rf9.jpg

45i9.jpg

Rust killed/primered

no2i.jpg
j5p.jpg
c1ls.jpg
p605.jpg
omlq.jpg

Also did the front windscreen sills..

6z6a.jpg
8zf8.jpg

Got another couple of hours in on the celica today, waiting on mechanical parts to arrive, suspension bushes, slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder, brake lines, radiator etc. so untill these parts arrive i decided to do a bit more on the body work.

before photos, i got a chalk pen and marked where the minor dents and imperfections are on the front guards so i can refer to them if i need to when i comes to the panel beating.

1no9.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

v3li.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

gave them a sand, a lot of the black top coat over the top of the original silver has humidity blisters so im going to take alot of if back and give it some good coats of filler primer/sanding before the new paint goes on.

s9gm.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

Also started on the rear quarters and pillars.

o0q2.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

rscr.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

The spare tyre well in the boot had a fair few rust holes, i have a stainless drop tank that ill be putting in once the car has gone through re-vin so the spare tyre well will be coming out, because of this i have decided against doing major rust repairs on well and have just used some kneed-it metal putty to fill the holes ill sand it back and paint over it so it looks legit for revin..

Im not keen on dodgy rust repairs but i cant justify the time it'll take cutting and welding new steel in when ill be cutting the whole thing out after the re-vin..

Before..

dscf4430m.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

after the kneed-it..

2fyt.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

• 1 month later...

Must be time for an update, even though theres not much been done as works been flat out.

I gave up on trying to find a functioning pair of ae86/te71 rear callipers.

Some people might have heard of Charlie B (Bensamin) world famous in NZ for building worked k motors etc. he lives just down the road from my shed so i quite often pop in to see him and have a yarn about anything old school toyota, hes a good old bastard with a wealth of knowledge and all the time in the world to talk toyota!

I had a talk to him about converting my ra23 t series diff from drum to disc to shove in the ta22 and he said the only problem with that besides finding the parts is the fact you want a floating rear calliper so that the brake pads dont wear unevenly..

So i did a bit of research and went around a few wreckers and came and settled on some nissan U13/14 rear callipers a discs, already 4x114 stud pattern. found a guy wrecking a u14 locally and picked up some rebuilt callipers and near new discs, handbrake, cable and brake lines for $80 the same price as a the wreckers wanted for 1 calliper..

jorm.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

l5kn.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

4xcp.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

They seem to mount up near bang on, i may need to use a 5mm spacer behind the disc, so ill wait for the old man to get back from the UK next week and get onto cncing up some mounting brackets.

iold.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

3k3c.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

I also had a bit of a measure up to work out how wide to make my impul meshies. it looks like i have room to shorten the diff 40mm a side and run 9.5" rears so will be 10.5" lip to lip which will make them sit about 5mm from flush if i roll the inner lip of the guard this will allow for me to tuck the rear tyres slightly if i feel the need.. :D

just did a mock up using some car so get and idea of the kind of dish these puppies with have on the rear..

54c7.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

30zh.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

i9do.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

About 115mm of dish.. not too shabby.

I messed around with one of the centres a 195/45r15 tyre just do get and idea of ride height..

yx3c.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

k04l.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com