4k bogging when accelerating

Corona_man

Just after some help on my standard 4k. The engine idles great and revs up when under no load. But when driving, if I put my foot down hard the motor bogs right down for a few seconds ,then takes off. It does it all the time. It will accelerate smoothly if I just slowly increase the accerator. I'm not sure what it could be. And it also backfires out the exhuast when decelerating

Cheers for any help

Could be all sort of things, could be the accelerator pump in the carb, with the air-cleaner off (and the car off) see if the carb delivers a shot of fuel down the throat as you crack the throttle. Probably a good time to check the ignition timing and general condition of the ignition system

Guest Seedy Al

inrteresting.

i was having a semi similar problem,

Turns out it was the timing,

but as they said, check points gap.

And did you set the timing with the vacumm line disconnect off the dizzy?

Guest k-trips

If the gap is at all questionable then just replace the points AND condensor anyway. If the gap is fine then still replace the points AND condensor anyway.

99 rough running problems and points AND condensor is 73 of them.

Make 100% positive that when installing new points that you clean the shit out of the contact tips as they have an anti corrosion coating on them that will foul up after a little bit of running. The way I clean them is to slip my shirt collar between the tips and rub it back and forth a dozen times.

Good luck.

Guest Corona_man

Installed new condenser and points, still the same problem.tried new leads, rotor and cap, still same problem. This is really annoying me. I just tried something though. I put the timing light on all the leads, and when I give it a quick rev and hold it where it misses, number 3 and 4 arnt sparking, but 1 and 2 are?. I though that only the leads and cap would cause that? So I tried a different cap and swapped leads around, but still the same problem.