camo_78's 87 XF fairmont of rusty skids

camo_78

well,this is the XF i pulled out of a paddock a few months ago.dereg,had been sitting in a paddock for 4 years not running.hook battery up along with jumper cables,hello 4.1 springing into life.this is it as picked up on the trailer,yours truly in the background behind the black pathfinder.

73454747994805025267759.jpg

had a few "aftermarket modifications" ;)

13797479951462337913475.jpg

anywho,got it home(towed it from dunsandel to chch)

38662447994808625351936.jpg

gave it a waterblast the next day(mid blast here)

75375485638156501794371.jpg

anyway,this brings us up to the past week,in which time ive decided to take it out for a skid comp on the 7th of april.so far the bits that cant be seen that ive modded are:

extra throttle return springs

locked diff(2.77:1 ratio,aka shit for skids)

alloy battery clamp.

and mods that can be seen............

1002151s.jpg

note front bumper is just sitting there for now.

so,to summarise:

GOOD POINTS:

mint running 4.1 carby 6

smooth shifting auto

4 mint tyres(have shitty s5 rx7 rims to burn out)

everything electric works,including electric windows!!

interior is tidy minus carpet from the "Aftermarket mods" and a hole in drivers seat

IT WAS FREE

BAD POINTS:

RUST,and a lot of it.bottom of both front and rear windscreens,both a pillars around hinges,drivers sill,bonnet,r/f guard,r/r guard,bootlid,bottom corner of l/h C pillar.

deregistered

carpet is fooked.

so,feel free to hurl abuse/suggestions/replace with a camry 8)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest NZford

Sweet project, I remember going to Auto X? (in the league staudium near the Westpac center) and the had a few XF skid cars unfourtunatley they seemed to struggle to get any type of decent wheel speed going.

So my suggestion would be EB - ED 4.0 with a centre point injection manifold and adaptor to run a Holley carb. I think the only bad part about that is you got to buy an aftermarket dizzy the rest should bolt in and give a decent power hike.

Guest camo_78

i was at autoX,i was the crazy bastard in the little black and camo van on modgies.and unfortunately this project is dead,skid comp got cancelled so this will be getting stripped and taken to the scrappy :( .however,all is not lost,it will live again,albeit in a different body ;) .and have you got a picture of such a setup??may be the go when the new project springs into life with this motor :)

Guest NZford

Do they still do autoX? Must of been 5 years ago I went.

Umm some info and pics here..... proably more hassle than its worth get an EB - ED and skid that lol

http://www.xfalcon.c...-carb-manifold/

That xfalcon site is real good for anything older falcon related

Edit pruuttty

http://www.aussiespeed.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=31

Guest camo_78

nah,08 was the last year as the organiser lost quite a few grand from it :/ .and not going to be another falcon,will be in a smaller body ford ;) .those manifolds are exactly what ive been looking for for said project,will be investigating that one much further :)

Guest shizzl

Do they still do autoX? Must of been 5 years ago I went.

Umm some info and pics here..... proably more hassle than its worth get an EB - ED and skid that lol

http://www.xfalcon.c...-carb-manifold/

That xfalcon site is real good for anything older falcon related

Edit pruuttty

http://www.aussiespe...&id=6&Itemid=31

boy oh boy that page was nasty...

if you wanna carb a 4l efi motor (ea-au) then grab a 3.9 manifold,bang a xf webber on it, it bolts on.

you can run the xf dizzy if you flip the dizzy gear over(make sure you measure the distance from the base of the dizzy and the gear so you get it right cos you may need to drill another hole for the roll pin.

theres a couple of different xf dizzys, theres the 2 wire, and the 7 wire, the 2 wire is piss easy, the 7 wire you only use the bottom 3 wires off the module.

you can use your xf flywheel on the 4l but youll need to use 4age ARP flywheel bolts.

the xf flywheel bolt holes are slightly larger than the ea-au,so can come loose with alot of high revving action.

pm me if you wanna know more, or threaten me for giving misleading info.lol

by the way i run a EL tickford 6 in my stockcar with a ea manifold,and a holley 500 2 barrel, i have used a webber before.

i use a 7 wire dizzy from a xf,and have used the 2 wires aswell..

peace

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

dragging this up from the dead.i havent cut it up yet,and there is a skid comp on the 18th of august(subject to enough entries),so will be taking this out for a burn.no point in pictures though as nothing has actually changed,lol