Brocky41's 1980 Datsun Sunny 120Y Round Headlight

brocky41

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34453

Aint it funny lisas owned a few datsuns now but still doesnt drive - (:oops::oops: thats my bad - def learning in this one)

Picked her up out of the buy sell - is in very good nick and doesnt have the rust in the usual places that ive had on sunny's.

Only has a little in the bottom of the front guards and in the rear roof / pillar area.

A12 auto so shes the big block - been doing a bit of ratchet shifting on the auto for good launches from the lights :burnout: :burnout:

So far Ive done the Leads, Plugs, Coolant Flush etc, and a new oil pressure switch cos it was leaking (pretty sure most do)

Runs really well - next mish is to lower it and im doing something a little different with the standard wheels. :D (no widening this time)

dscf5109.jpg

dscf5112b.jpg

dscf5113r.jpg

Tried my 120y wheels on but got the mad rubs

dscf5166z.jpg

dscf5167r.jpg

Paint is ok havent done the big cut and polish yet. little crazy crack on the LR guard and the bonnet is super faded - need someone that keen to maybe spray bomb the bonnet with the www.NZDATSUN.com logo or similar.

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:44 pm on NZDATSUN

Soo - i got this to selling point but the WOF ran out and due to the roof rust couldnt get another one, and a few people were turning away due to the Automagicalness of awesome (will hopefully convert to manual if $$$ allow

Heres how it was a couple of weeks ago

dscf5607001.jpg

dscf5606001.jpg

dscf5605001.jpg

dscf5604001.jpg

dscf5603001.jpg

dscf5602001.jpg

dscf5601001.jpg

dscf5598001.jpg

dscf5587001.jpg

I then decided to hit the rust as it didnt look too bad from the outside - 2 patches in the roof and one in the front guard - then she be rust free again - as this one doesnt have ant of the usual boot rust that many a sunny has.

dscf5599001.jpg

dscf5600001.jpg

Started cutting - OH SHHH****T

The top part is the outer skin and the lower one is the inner - talk about the iceberg effect.

dscf5718m.jpg

imag0500k.jpg

imag0501m.jpg

So the decision was made to fix it - id rather see this go to someone knowing that its genuinely rust free - dont want all that on the conscience etc and it means someone will get a good base to work with when it goes (too many projects yet again.

imag0503a.jpg

imag0502eb.jpg

Almost done on this side - really big ups to Hamish Collison for getting stuck in, in the sub zero wind chill on sunday - you the man. Is also doing a stellar job on this so far as i would know where to start. Hopefully will be finished next weekend - ive got a colour match can etc. Also got all the manifold gaskets done - typical a series blown out the exhaust side.

Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:51 pm from NZDATSUN

Bit of an update - finished the steel work - Hamish is coming back either tomorrow or during the week to sand back the surface filler and blow some paint on.

So stoked with how its coming up.

imag0521s.jpg

imag0522u.jpg

imag0523p.jpg

imag0526q.jpg

Bit of a tip out back atm - wrecked out a 260c sedan and a z32 300ZX - starting to dislike stripping cars and liking getting rusty / unloved ones and putting them back on the road. :D

imag0525k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rust work is done - come up really good with a matched spray can job!!

Special thanks to Hamish (mush) for all the hard work and for teaching me a few things aswell.

imag0545qm.jpg

imag0559k.jpg

imag0556cn.jpg

imag0558x.jpg

Just need to let the paint go off then a quick buff up - be good as new.