cletus's hillbilly ute

cletus

discussion thread - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34448

Picked up a new project today

VH valiant ute. 273 V8/auto, is pretty good for one of these rust wise, has had a few repairs which need finishing.

plans= dont spend too much, going to give the panelwork some attention and squirt it a flat/satin colour, slam, wheels.

the green VJ was included as parts its ROTTEN. has a few good bits on it though.

dscf3892j.jpg

dscf3894p.jpg

dscf3893f.jpg

dscf3888o.jpg

dscf3890m.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

got some time to work on this masterpiece of commercial vehicles

pulled front sheetmetal off, borrowed a waterblaster and cleaned 40 years of crap off the underside of it, and started patching some rust

p7070012l.jpg

p7070010.jpg

this bit was slightly rotten

p7070011a.jpg

Made some progress- worst of the rust all done, just got a couple of little patches in the floor to do now. also strengthened the welding around the front upper arm mounts, these things are prone to cracking there.

then threw some paint on, that turned out to be an abortion, got some "chassis black" that turned out to be quite glossy= looked like shit. so i thought id improve it by spraying some satin black over the top, wrong move, mustve breathed too many paint fumes today. it dried faster than the first layer and went all wierd now it looks ultra shit. dunno what to do there/might leave it cause its not showcar

anyway

rust, begone from this place!

008ji.jpg

homemade sandblasting mask

012gf.jpg

013lya.jpg

018cqg.jpg

021vd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

more progress, engine out of rusty one, and sold, gearbox out, engine out of good one for a tidy up. have got some headers, 4 barrel manifold, spare 600 holley off my other car, and have got some shiny bits on the way to tart it up, and some paint.

29712093.jpg

29712096.jpg

also some good scores, the diff in the green one turned out to be a 3.23 lsd, and the trans in the good one is a 727.

• 3 weeks later...

steam roller wheels

dscf6064zf.jpg

dscf6070j.jpg

spent today removing luxury items- power steer was leaking, so put the manual box out of the green one in it, i dont like the v8 booster setup so wont run a booster. if you havent had the pleasure of seeing a chrysler v8 booster , here is one.

dscf6073w.jpg

yuck. theres a push rod off the pedal which isnt straight, which pushes on a pivot bar , which pushes the booster, all on a dumb angle. this is all cause the engine isnt in the middle of the car, its offset to the drivers side, so there isnt enough room.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A common rust trap on valiants is the plenum area under the windscreen. the heater gets fresh air from in here thru the vent. inside the plenum is not painted very well and has a couple of bits where water/leaves/dirt can sit and rust, and repairing rust is a prick, you really have to cut off the top, fix the rust and seal it all back up again. this one was pretty good, but as the heater didnt work anyway, and its going to be living outside and i hate wet carpets i decided to seal it up so it cant ever leak...

dscf6614.jpg

dscf6619r.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

dscf0076n.jpg

dscf0082a.jpg

engine is a runner again. shouted it a new carb as a double pumper would have been a bit over the top for this engine, now has 500cfm vac sec edelbrock, hoping it will be fairly economical. also have rebuilt front suspension, i pulled it apart to replace one bent arm, and found as per every other valiant ive owned, everything was knackered.

diff out of other ute ready to go in, 3.23 lsd, cleaned up and painted, made some new brake pipes, brakes all like new- bonus. next will be lowering the rear, have got some new u-bolts, will make some 2'' blocks, utes have a diffrent rear spring set with more leaves so some will go into the bin for freeslam

dscf0083c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

061vc.jpghttp://062qbh.jpg060rl.jpg

fixed more little bits of rust, drivers door and guard on for good, both front guards and bonnet painted underneath, inside floor painted, new guts friendly steering wheel. trying to find a passenger door or ill have to do some major surgery on the one i have

• 2 weeks later...

so after checking axle lengths, and deciding narrowing the diff was too hard, i attacked the guards with a hammer & dolly. Rh side was easy.

0033o.jpg

Lh side was like i thought it was going to be, it already had old repairs and bog in it, so it needs a bit of work. good part is the tyres fit with enough room.

0053sz.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...