TA22 Gaijin

gaijin909

Its been a while since I posted here or anywhere. Slacker!

No excuses, however, I sure have been spending time on the car and driving the hell out of it.

Ive become more relaxed with others driving the car too = wtf right?

The car has been until recently a real arse to drive, the clutch action, throttle heaviness, brakes hard to push, vibration through the drivetrain somewhere etc.

So kinda stripped the car down for the umpteenth time to do the following;

- remove clutch/brake pedal box. increase brake and clutch pedal ratios by lowering the pivot point on the pedal box then raising the brake and clutch pivot hole location on the pedal arms themselves. went from around 1:5 to 1:7.5. This means less force required to push but reduces the movement at the other end (clutch and brake master and slave). made a great difference, certainly recommended. I could have reduced bore size of the clutch master to do the same thing. the brake I couldnt as its a dual circuit mitsi evo type so gave up on that idea. the best outcome is that the bite point of the twin plate quaqrter master clutch is longer (if a few mm of pedal travel is longer...) making it a little easier to set off from standstill.

- pulled steel sandwhich plate w55 and replaced with another trademe w55 of the same type. was much quieter for a few hrs before the same whine came from 4th after a few high boost mway efforts.

- made a new alternator braket using thicker steel and improved alignment.

- re-welded cracks in intake manifold runner yet again (from broken stud in head, drilled out and upped size using threadsert)

- replaced every peice of steering joint from ball joint to all tie rods. steering still completely crap, vague, slop etc.

- added custom rca to the lower arms/struts. the bump steer still there but greatly reduced. nice mod. bought stock cressida untis but were a little out so took them to a CNC shop in Glenfield to make fit.

- full service to everything, oils plugs, filters, diff oil etc.

- interior clean using jif on all items

- seatbelt died on passenger side. found a guy in penrose who took the old units apart, kept all original bit apart from the tensioner and webbing and put back togther all certed. nice one! did both sides for $250. safety first people...

- new 215/40/17 dunlop Z1 star spec semislicks to the front. much better front end feel over the 235 I had before, lighter too. 

- remounted the driveshaft hoop as was rubbing on the driveshaft when the car had 4 pax inside under boost.

- tried some of that decent Nulon oil in the engine, has shown good dyno results over other top syn. oils. check on youtube.

Driven 3/4 thousand kms since this work has been done, now taking a break on development until the next phase arrives.

Now purchased sitting in the lounge ready to install;

- ae86 ps cross member

- ae86 ps rack

- ae86 ps column

- mr-s electric ps pump and steering wheel angle sensor

- new chrome trim to rear quater windows

- new interior trim parts

- better heat sheiling to turbo side

- r154 bellhousing off 2wd hilux

Ill give it another few weeks and Ill hook into it. Ill get some photos up on the build thread page noted at the top of this thread and lift my game on the reporting side of things.

That and would Gull hurry up and get at least one, just one E85 outlet in Auckland (not counting Puke)!

A changeover to E85 would be very top of the list !

id be keen to drive it and see how your steering feels before you pull it all apart. im interested to hear that you replaced everything and its still poos.

there is a night and day difference between the rack steering in the V8 and the stock box in the 1J but the 1J is still acceptable. 

yea, interested to feel how the steering behaves in your car.