Wheel alignment setups and general handling thread

yoeddynz

A thread here so we can talk and learn from others experiences with various alignment issues.

Me first :)

After a few weeks of complaining about my new rear tyres making my Viva feel wobbly I finally pulled my finger out and had a go at properly measuring my cars toe in. The difference since changing it has been amazing!

I had always looked at the car and thought it was either set straight or possibly toed out. It was an illusion setup by the front guards. On Saturday I drove to Blenheim and the car was a pain as its handling was dire. the steering felt too sensitive. Horrible going much faster than 100kph. Time to check it properly.

Yesterday morning I parked the car on a nice flat surface. I had rolled the car forwards into the spot, I made sure steering wheel was centered and also had Hannah help me pull the leading edges out on each side to remove any play from the ball joints/rack etc - this naturally happens when the car is being pushed forwards whilst driven.

I set up some wire pulled tight between plastic boxes filled with bricks on each side of the car...

260220121277.jpg

I set the wires up parallel to the rear wheel faces.

260220121278.jpg

Straight away I could see excessive toe in...

260220121276.jpg

It measured up at 17mm difference on ones side and 11 on the other!!! :shock::?

Then I set it up with the required (according to Mr Haynes) 1/10" toe in. About 2-3mm.

Then I took the car for a drive and as soon as I was heading up the road I could feel the difference. Stable straight ahead and easy to direct around curves whereas it used to dart horribly. Where it used to be scary at 100 I can now sit on 160. Side winds will still push it so possibly some more castor in the future but not until I change the bushes in the back arms. Plus I think the back tyres will be getting better and better as they wear down.

Turn in is not as direct. It now feels like I have to turn the wheel that bit more to initiate the turn. I still have a fair bit of negative camber on the front so on hard corners it bites nice but slow corners about town there is a bit of push.

I had added more negative camber a while back due to the outside edges on tyres wearing. But I think it was the excessive toe in had caused that. I might set less camber because the inside edges of the tyres are wearing due to the camber and me usually driving like a nanny about town.