start motor problems (i think)

dave123456789

hey guys went out to the mad butcher yesterday to get some meat and when i jumped back into the car and tried to start it it just sounded like the starter motor was going but no engine cranking. flicked the key off and on a few times and it started up but now it makes a metalic clinking sound every so often, sometimes constantly. still randomly only spins the starter too. is there an easy way to fix this? i followed the workshop manual on unjamming it and all it said was to rotate a nut at the end of the starter but that does nothing.

car is a 65 super minx.

hey mate,

check the connection at your starter from the battery +ve if this is loose or has poor connection it wont let ur starter crank or will crank poorly, also check ur battery condition, if your battery is on its way out u will have a poor start to. check those two things first.

when you say "it just sounded like the starter motor was going but no engine cranking" do u mean the engine was freely spinning and not fireing or was the starter just making a spinning sound and no engaging ?if this is the case your starter solenoid may also be on its way out.

hey mate,

check the connection at your starter from the battery +ve if this is loose or has poor connection it wont let ur starter crank or will crank poorly, also check ur battery condition, if your battery is on its way out u will have a poor start to. check those two things first.

when you say "it just sounded like the starter motor was going but no engine cranking" do u mean the engine was freely spinning and not fireing or was the starter just making a spinning sound and no engaging ?if this is the case your starter solenoid may also be on its way out.

It sounded like the starter motor was going but was not engaged to the engine. It has started up fine today but still had a metallic clinking sound which sounded nasty as was quite loud. I removed the starter motor and got my mates to give me a push start and there was no clinking sound while it was running and the gear on the starter looked fine.

I guess i should just take it into an auto sparky and get them to have a look at it?

yeah take the starter to them of if u know some one who is good with that stuff its always good. its cheaper on labor if they don't have to remove and refit, was the terminal on the back of the starter lose at all?

The clicking will be the teeth of the starter hitting the teeth of the ring gear at the wrong angle if its not engaging properly.

Do the edges of the teeth on the starter or flywheel look shiny?