Vw spluttering and smoking at hi revs

tregath

So i Have the trike all sorted for a WOF test tomorrow, but i get it out on the road for a rip down the street and back, but at 1/3 throttle while under load it coughs and splutters and blows chuffs of black smoke.

I have tried playing with a few tihngs but cannot get it running right.

Its a 75ish 1300 aircooled beetle motor. has new plugs, points and leads. it runs allright at idle and at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle but any higher then that and it starts spluttering. timing has been reset. the autochoke has been disconnected and the choke tightened up so its about 1/3 open. when engines warm i have tried to move the choke but any movement either way makes it die. it was like this when i got it. I have tried adjusting the mixture screw but this does not change it.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Turns out the condensor was stuffed, and fitted a new fuel filter which improved it a little and got a mechanic to look at it and the carb is that worn it cannot be tuned. So looking for a replacment carb or service kit if i get stuck.

Does anyone know about these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 493306.htm

They look the same as the kit repco want $150 for. Might just give one a try