toy cross member questions

ta63-1uzze

Hi, save this link...

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/

Very useful for cross referencing toyota parts.

I dont think you need to swap xmembers to change to power steering if thats what you are doing.... I changed to power steering in my TT142 corona (same platform as celica) and used original crossmember just changed the bolt on metal brackets or bushing on the rack mounts.

TA63

diag_AzakJW.png

MA61

diag_AzakJW.png

Yes I am trying to sort out the power steering rack so I can move on to making the engine mounts. When I got the rack I didn’t know that the mounts were different, so I didn’t ask for them and now I need to get some.

I have come across a ma61 Celica supra that has power steer and was thinking that it may be compatible? , easier to try fit the cross member rather than cut of the mounts and weld them to the ta63 cross member?

But are you saying that the cross member stays the same and it is the "bolt on metal strap" that goes over the rack that is different??

Yes im saying to swap the PS/nonPS racks it is just a case of using the correct bolt on metal straps and the rubber bushes with the rack. I did the swap quite a few years back now but I remember i didnt remove my crossmember or weld anything.

Its possible the MA61 brackets/rubber bushes will work on the celica xmember, from memory the 6cyl rack is a little longer but mounts may be the same.

Or get hold of the guy you bought the PS rack from. See if he can send em to you if he still has them.

thank you for that , i finally got into the garage today and ripped into it, got the engine out of the way and got to the rack , pulled it out and cleaned all the crap of it , i now understand what you are talking about.

Unfortunately i bought the rack along long time ago in preparation for this conversion and i didn’t keep the contact details, but i will be trying any brackets i can get my hands on.

And failing that I will pop down the road and steel the ones of a mates car and take them to an engineer see how much it would cost to get them made. As it is proving rather difficult to find.

If it's the same one you asked about my aa60 carina crossmember has the large mount on one side, it uses a spacer bracket under that side for the manual steer. How do i know....i just finished pulling the mount brackets off mine to get ready for scrap run. If you need that and think it'll be suitable best get hold of me asap by pm