Be4vers 12a 1972 Toyota Corona

be4ver

questions, comments, abuse, envy? put it HERE

so pretty much brought my dream car the other day! just had to part with a chunk of cash i didn't really have haha

a good mate of mine had been building this up for the past year or so and i guess he kinda lost interest in it / wants a new project and decided he wanted to part with it.

And about 6 months ago when i was wiring various thing up n tidying up the wiring for him i told him if he was ever to sell it i'd buy it. well that time came and even tho i dont have much spare cash it was an offer i couldn't pass up! so the dx had to go to make room and thankfully he did a swaparoo with it with some cash obviously.

now i don't usually like the idea of buying someone elses project as i like to do all the work on stuff myself and make it my own, but in this case this is very much how i would have done things anyway (with the exception of a few very minor details)

It still needs a few things to finish it off but all the hard shit has been done already like;

all rust removed

repainted (black with dark red pearl)

rebuilt 12a bridgeport

engine mounts

gearbox mounts

heaps of stuff gussyed up, brakes, lights, trim etc

things left to get it ready for driving;

big ol cut n polish

fuel lines

clutch hydro line from master to slave

mount and plumb up fuel pump and reg

figure something out for the accelerator pedal and/or cable

make exhaust

paint boot and bonnet

heater hoses

get it tuned once its going

few other bits n pieces i can't think of right now

and cert!

anyway enough blah blah blah heres a bunch of pics!

img1637jj.jpg

best room in the house!

img1630c.jpg

fiberglass skin on boot lid, can sorta see the pearl in the paint. its much impressive in the sun

img1627z.jpg

img1626lx.jpg

img1603lx.jpg

img1597d.jpg

img1596oh.jpg

img1595wf.jpg

img1594b.jpg

img1592s.jpg

img1608c.jpg

img1607k.jpg

im very impressed with the state of this interior, for a 40 year old car its immaculate

img1611e.jpg

img1614kn.jpg

img1613vg.jpg

thought this was very cool has all the stubs in it for all the scheduled services it had in the early 70s

thats it for now. hopefully will be updates regularly as i'm get shit done. don't know if its going to be this or the mitsi on the road first. at the moment its this all the way!

had a mad weekend in the garage with my new toy making heaps o progress

first i tackled the accelerator problem, luckily i have an ex lancer im wrecking at the moment so i robbed the pedal and cable out of that.

the pedal bolted straight in! looks like its ment to be there

dsc02402x.jpg

the old hole in the fire wall didn't line up tho so i made another, was too big anyway.

img1632j.jpg

dsc02403i.jpg

luckily i got the carb end just right cos there is only about 5mm of adjustment in it

dsc02404eg.jpg

had to make this bit smaller to fit as you can see

dsc02408q.jpg

clutch was easy just had to get a wee pipe made up, didn't cost anything which was a bonus.

img1622e.jpg

too short! nearly used a bit of brake line off the ex but that was gunna look poos

dsc02413vx.jpg

the old lid for the reservoir was pretty fucked so i found this on a much newer toyota at the wreckers

dsc02400m.jpg

ran the heater hoses and used these cool shiny things i found out back of my work, rekin they look the part!

dsc02410bl.jpg

dsc02411zd.jpg

these hoses are NOT very flexible however and were a dam cunt to get on into the heater core

dsc02420zr.jpg

also while i was fucking round i tried the plastics from the lancer in the boot and what do ya know they fit and look halfway decent

dsc02435mv.jpg

dsc02434yk.jpg

thats also the rubber from the lancer too. its in much better state than the old shit.

dsc02424a.jpg

also installed an alarm! A big hairy dog alarm

spent some hours redoing a bit of wiring here n there, and re routing it to tidy the engine bay up a little. trying to make it look less cluttered but those heater hoses are just too big and in ya face! :rolleyes:

img1645a.jpg

img1672fc.jpg

img1647gf.jpg

img1644ky.jpg

img1641b.jpg

still more do do as well!

didnt take any before shots but it was quite like this side :pukeright:

img1642m.jpg

think this plate is a bit redundant now :lol:

img1651rf.jpg

think im about ready for the first start any day now! engine bay wiring is all done and tidy as fuck, everything is hooked up that needs to be. will order a new set of leads at work on monday, get and air filter and will be all go!

fucking clutch master cylinder needs a rebuild tho, if i push it real slow it just goes to the floor and does nothing. would that mean worn seals or some such shit?

Before;

img1642m.jpg

After;

img1678a.jpg

that is indeed the over flow/washer bottle combo from the wrecked ex. these parts all fit in so dam well it's awesome

what a day! had a guy round tonight who knows his shit with rotors, he was the one who rebuilt this motor.

so anyway what was supposed to happen was me have car ready to be started so he could just come in get it timed up and tune it etc. which involved me getting fuel and 2 stroke oil and coolant and checking out oil situation etc making sure all was sweet to start and run the car. but! when filling with coolant, i had about 8 liters in there when it started coming out from the inlet manifold! SHIT! so i quickly clamped the pipes off so all the shit in the radiator didn't gush out too. after about 2 liters hit the floor. :x

dsc02489y.jpg

best hose clamps i could find at short notice!

now im all fucked off and theres a huge puddle on the fuckin ground,but it turns out was nothing a few swings of the axe at the mitsi couldn't fix tho haha. very therapeutic!

then came the time I've been looking forward to since i got this car and what do ya know? no fucking spark on the leading plugs :x

i started checking everything and all seemed fine, i was about tho condemn one of the pick up thingos in the dizzy then i discovered this!

dsc02490qj.jpg

can sorta see the crack in the base of it here

dsc02491i.jpg

boom! shorting out like a little shit cunt

so now when i thought the thing would be running. i now need to drain the coolant, take off the inlet manifold, fix leak and find a new rotor.

so disappointing when stuff doesn't go the way it planned in your head! :rolleyes: but that's cars for ya!

so i may have a vid of it running pretty soon anyway.. just not yet fuck it

got the master cylinder rebuilt today, pretty boring but i took pictures anyway! ripped my thumb up trying to get into it tho :x

img1688ov.jpg

img1689hn.jpg

and fixed the leak, i knew i kept these old coins for something, hoarding win!

img1695u.jpg

img1697su.jpg

and skulls! .... well maybe, not sure i'm gunna like this one yet

img1699kf.jpg

ummm.... no, i don't like it!

can't really see it in the pic but the paint didn't take to the metal very well.

dsc02511h.jpg

must have used up all my skills on this one i done for someone else dammit

dsc02497hm.jpg

in other news;

the rotor for the dizzy showed up finally so the man is coming tomorrow night to get this thing running!

dont really understand the pricing on this item,

Repco $115 (not in stock)

Supercheap $55 (not in stock)

our parts supplier through work $30ish including freight! although they somehow sent me an ignition module the first time :rolleyes:

just done the MAD noisy no exhaust drive across town to drop the car at work, getting exhaust made tomorrow. Fuck me a bridgeport with a half meter exhaust can make some noise!! :shock:

and just my luck there was a train coming through which i had to wait for and got 2 out of 2 red lights, so as im sittng there frutt frutt frutting away i'm fully expecting a cop to come flying down the road any second, and what do ya know!? no cop! yuss! got it to work locked away safe and sound and ready for a shiny new exhaust tomorrow.

i did take a video of it running but with basically no tuning or exhaust its just complete distortion and unrecognizable noise so instead here is a new photo.

dsc02545su.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

exhaust done! sounds mint but probably still too loud, i'll have to wait n see come cert time

img0527kk.jpg

put this wee tacho in in place of the old clock, wasn't till i got the cunty faced bolts back in from the back that i realised the old inside of the clock cup really needed a paint fuckit!

i did paint it in the end but this is what it looked like first

img0512dd.jpg

got a video of it running, not tuned yet but still sounds pretty sweet so will work on getting that up pretty soon

• 2 months later...

so its been a while since i had an update on this one. been focusing most my time on the mitsi

any who, here's what almost $100 of gear oil looks like! got that in it now, spilled lots, its fuckin thick stuff!

img0935c.jpg

and heres a couple random pics for good measure

img0947pz.jpg

img0948iy.jpg

still cant find the bonnet or boot latch bits i need for this either which is becoming a mad headache! :x

• 1 month later...

so nows the time i pretend im making progress. i actually am, as of today.

have organised painting of the boot & bonnet today finally

and also got these!

img1305e.jpg

all n all a pretty lame update but there is progress there somewhere haha i am aiming to get it ready for cert etc before the end of next month so stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engine bay all sorted now.

Engine all tuned up and running mint. No oil, water or fuel leaks as yet.

just need to put some kms on it and get it run in properly

img1366yi.jpg

broke my damn headlight when i was tidying up a bit of wiring :x

img1361ea.jpg

pretty close to cert time! :D

Got the bonnet and boot back this week

shiney bonnet;

img1419h.jpg

shiney boot;

img1396rr.jpg

And look what i stumbled across out in the back room at work! exactly the same as the one i broke. much better than having to put a pair of semi sealed lights in. must have been sitting there at least 10 years. sealed beams are getting harder to get now and this one is a 50/37.5W which is odd as fuck, so big bonus of a find! :D

img1407vh.jpg

so now for the first time since I've owned this its all in one piece! :cheers:

img1423jz.jpg

for cert now all i need to take care of is;

-put bigger bolts in the drive shaft hoop

-measure up for blocks and install them

-find and put some other wheels on

-and hopefully that is all...

replaced driveshaft bolts with some bigger ones tonight

img1452zu.jpg

shouldn't go to far if the d shaft decides to fling off

img1459z.jpg

then this happened half way through the last hole... :rolleyes: poor drill, i've had it over 7 years! fixed it tho and it still goes strong 8)

img1457z.jpg

worked out measurements for the blocks also so will get them sorted this week

img1463jg.jpg

took for cert today and didnt go so well... :x

failed on the following;

-air filter hitting on brake booster

-not proper vac hose to booster

-"solid" engine mounts

-all suspension too low and on stops (fucking sagged 15mm in 1 day :x )

-clutch to master to slave pipe needs needs bracket/ clamp

-another accelerator spring required

-speedo needs re-calibrated, 12km fast at 100kph

some simple fixes there but some i feel will be a little cunty

it has these engine mounts fitted but as there is a bolt going right through the center its no good, anyone know where to get the normal mounts from?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/mazda/engines/auction-493984667.htm

117415670_full.jpg

out with the new and in with the old and vice versa

img1513mw.jpg

took for a warrent too after cert and only failed on the back left brake sticking and the rubber being worn on the brake pedal, i was kinda like WTF at the pedal rubber but was an easy fix so meh. and the sticking brake was the handbrake not adjusted properly :D

img1508dx.jpg

don't quite get how shorter spring and less coils = higher car but it does so whatever.

It was a right cunt changing the springs without the right spring compressors, plus ive never played with this sorta double wishbone setup before. had to do some tricky/careful/probably dangerous work with my wee jack on the lower arm.

img1510pt.jpg

the work station

img1511vf.jpg

now the only thing left on the list to do is remove the speedo and send it away to get re calibrated :D