CentreForce Clutches

RT

Hey guys,

do any of you use a centreforce clutch and what do you think of them?

I'm trying to decide what sort of clutch to use behind my 302 windsor, it needs to cope with 350hp but it's just a street car for cruising really so I don't want anything ridiculous. Some people have told me just to put in a standard street clutch, others suggested a centreforce1 or a centreforce dual-friction.

thoughts?

Regular HD clutches these days can easily deal with 350hp - I would just get one of them - Centreforce would be overkill unless you were drag racing.

As you say you'll be just cruising and centreforce only gives any advantage when the revs are high enough for the centrifugal weights to work. They are old technology now TBH..

Haha - doubt a HD one will stand up to many burnouts then.. Is the rest of your driveline going to cope if you run a hefty clutch?

Reason I say this is if it were me I would rather have the "weak link" in the chain to be my clutch so I'm not blowing diffs, gearboxes and driveshafts..

well yeah it's a world class T5, mustang drive shaft and falcon lsd rear diff.

don't do *that* many burnouts.. but it would be wrong not to be able to do em when I feel the need. But I do like to launch the car hard and peel the tyres at most sets of lights lol

I don't want a heavy pedal breaking my firewall and don't want to be having to do a clutch again anytime soon so would rather pay more now whilst I'm at it if it makes any difference. But several people have told me just to stick a stock replacement clutch in since many people over clutch their cars. Or I've been told to pay twice as much for a centreforce dual friction clutch.

:doubt:

Ah yeah thats fairly robust driveline - A good condition (skimmed) flywheel with a brand new HD clutch kit will be more than enough for any regular driving cos modern clutch kits have good clamping pressure and decent linings.

Dumping the clutch with a few grand on the tacho will shorten its life (as any clutch) but IMO Centreforce clutches are an old technology from when linings were shithouse and you needed things like that.

However if you really want a decent clutch though - step up to a Tilton Quarter Master - they are quite spendy but you will never have a problem with some spirited driving and burnouts. I have no idea how it would deal with street driving though..

I guess a lot of it is personal opinion and the best answer would best come from someone who has a similar setup to you and drives as you would.

Haha - doubt a HD one will stand up to many burnouts then.. Is the rest of your driveline going to cope if you run a hefty clutch?

Reason I say this is if it were me I would rather have the "weak link" in the chain to be my clutch so I'm not blowing diffs, gearboxes and driveshafts..

Put some pizza cutters on and let the tyres do the slipping :)

Wide tyres combined with LSD and a clutch that doesn't slip so much will really test out a T5. Replacement V8 T5 = around a thousand bucks? So good to have something give. Fun to drive though I bet.