Dual mass flywheel

Bantam

I have Ford Transits as work vans. Dualmass flywheel stuffed after 80000km. Ford wanted $2000 +gst for flywheel and clutch. Googled it and show the poms were changing them back to single mass flywheels.

Ordered flywheel, clutch and starter motor on ebay from England. Turned up in 8 days and cost $700 + gst. Works a dream, heaps quieter and smoother.

now watch as the mounts driveshaft bush and associated bits blow to pieces .

nah they wont but im pretty sure that flywheel acts as a damper for the engine etc.

they are also used to help eleviate some problems of less the forgiving drivers .

I .. however am a strong believer in ceramic and high clamp clutch systems . so take this as you will

transits run fine on single mass. ford even replace them with exedy made/sourced kits out here. sold a fair few of them now. only had an issue on one (which didn't have a replacement fork in the kit, but this was sorted fairly simply :) ) way cheaper to do a whole kit with SM flywheel than it is just a clutch kit for a dual mass setup.

only issue long term is more gearbox backlash noise at idle.

wont cause the end of the crank to fall off like most people will tell you. duel mass are really only there for less drivetrain noise and shit.

sweet now tell them to make a vehicle were you dont have to drop the front x memeber to change a consumable item

but nah they is actually one of the most pleasent clutches i have had the pleasure of doing .

provided you have the correct tool bits

Very common problem for the Transhits, wish I knew about these single mass flywheel kits when I worked for Ford because I'm sure the rental companies would much rather prefer to pay less than half-price to get their vans back up and running. IIRC they normally did the selector shaft seal while they were there too.