I5oogt's - '72 Datsun 260C

Snoozin

Guest Snoozin

Bit of the old shiny shiny

8567204491_3a94ba38ac_b.jpg

Shiny Cam Cover 2 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8567204397_5c1d637027_b.jpg

Shiny Cam Cover 1 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Holy shit I just posted cellphone photos also. Kill me now.

Anyway in other news, hit the car again on the weekend, had the sump off, changed gasket, installed timing gear etc and cleaned up various gasket surfaces. The radiator is off at the radiator man having a new core installed - it appeared to be working ok, but it is falling apart and 40 years old so figured prevention is better than cure, and have bitten the bullet to recondition it. On the flipside that too, will look nice and fresh in the bay. Otherwise, it's just scrubbing to do until the head comes back, and the head studs get here. Should look the part in there come Nats weekend!

NEW PAGE FOR RYAN FELS! LIKE THIS!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Snoozin

So some productive productivity occured on this old thing today. Rolled out to Shannons workshop around 2pm to get cracking on the reassembly with Craig (vegie) rocking up shortly after to provide a knowledgable pair of L series savvy hands.

In addition to the parts specified above, I also ended up with essentially a new radiator (complete recore courtesy of North Shore Radiators) various seals and gaskets, and a brand spankers set of ARP head studs from the kind folk at Pro Parts in Napier (hit up Craig there for sweet deals and AMAZING service).

Step one was to scrape the old gasket from the block, as seen here with the ARP studs installed shortly after, to hand tight spec as per instructions.

8602130459_42d816d9ee_b.jpg

2013-03-30 16.25.36 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8602130391_c6b82d8aae_b.jpg

2013-03-30 16.26.13 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Those with eagle eyes will notice the front cover installed, which incidentally has been all cleaned up (not polished :P) and the new waterpump in place.

8603231310_3c58862ace_b.jpg

2013-03-30 16.36.49 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

The head, recipient of a complete recondition by the folks at Taylor Automotive - not the cheapest option but provided a written quote, stuck to it, and also pretty decent service. This head ended up with new seats, new stem seals and guides, as well as the usual clean, skim and pressure test. Apparently the valve springs were a bit soft - to be fair, this isn't a race motor so we'll be fine.

8603231468_a215295132_b.jpg

2013-03-30 17.25.14 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

The head in place, timing chain gear reinstalled and timed up correctly.

8603231356_1ed9e1225b_b.jpg

2013-03-30 21.04.43 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

This is the last shot I got - since then, the radiator has gone in, leads, dizzy cap and everything else installed and connected - about midnight we turned the key to see if it would bring up oil pressure.... oh no! The tell tale red light failed to cease illumination after several cranks. In the end, the call was made to pull the oil pump out (and the dizzy as they share the same drive) and prime it. With a further few cranks, the light went out. Following reconnection of the coil, the car cranked and started as per usual. Success! At this point I haven't got water in it, one of the small old braided hoses has cried enough so if anyone knows of a hose that reduces from 3/4" to 1/2" I am all ears as this is what I need.

Otherwise, happy. Apologies for the super sub par images. At this point I must extend my sincere thanks to both Shannon and Vegie for their help, I'd be fucked without you jokers.

Hope to be rolling on Monday :) Bring on Nats.

Edit: also bought some new wheels. Again.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Snoozin

Everything turned out superb, the car travelled 978 miles across the course of the Nats weekend, that's 1573 of your metric kilometres, without a hiccup. Some minor leaking from the thermostat housing but nothing to be overly concerned about. The clearances need doing again, I guess they've now accustomed themselves to their new seats so a final adjustment and they ought to be a little quieter.

Here's how the car looked at Nats - big thankyou to Alistair for his detailing services, helping the old oxidised paint look fresh again! Super happy with the appearance for now.

8653582113_00ea8d79fe_b.jpg

IMG_7185 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

So where to next? Grasskhana has convinced me I need a manual conversion, and discussion with tenfive about the conversion hasn't done any favours... so keen infact that one day after Nats I have a 5 speed sorted out.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

So yeah, after an 1100km round trip, I now own a second of these fine automobiles.

8920146872_6f41506c4b_b.jpg

IMG_8414 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8919531037_ac6e2450e6_b.jpg

IMG_8408 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8919531259_008914aa9d_b.jpg

IMG_8404 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

Thanks go out to dad, for finding it for me, Chris for the trailer hire, sheepers for being a passenger and the Wellington and Palmy crew for turning up to the Otaki lunch meet!

Plans? Well, it's a parts car. Bit o' rust going on in the old girl, however the plates are still live! Has a good motor, diff, bumpers are ok, guards are useful if I ever get involved in a prang, tail lights, headlights, lots of little clips, brackets, etc etc... and it has the ultra BEST aftermarket rev counter I have ever seen! Cheap score with lots of use.

More photos to come!

• Like 1

So with the help of my good friend Mr. George Esprit, the new old Datsun was wheeled into his cavernous garage and the disassembly process begun! First though, some shots of mine next to the standard 260C for a bit of ride height comparison.

8933735637_05666e5868_b.jpg

IMG_8418 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8933735407_2e6a019e4f_b.jpg

IMG_8420 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8933735575_c13b25a353_b.jpg

IMG_8416 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

8934350018_c84d42c4d3_b.jpg

IMG_8450 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've gone a bit bonkers buying wheels for this car. Anyway, the first 2 sets to arrive and undergo a restoration as below:

11062185833_c4ac6f7f81_b.jpg

IMG_5145 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

14x6.5 Work Equip 02 5 stud, quite uncommon but need a fair bit of work to bring back to their OG glory.

11062102494_dcdebbf18f_b.jpg

IMG_5092 by SnoozinRichy, on Flickr

The second consist of the 7" pair from a set I bought off thminiman, coupled with a 6.5" pair I recently got in from Japan. Not quite as much work but still some grot on them that will need addressing.

Two more sets currently in Japan, just awaiting the next container delivery!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...