Starion 4G63T ECI Coils and Ballast resistors

LancerEX

iv put a 1984 Starion 4G63T ECI into a 1981 exlancer. i was running the standard coil from the lancer with a ballast resistor.

when ever i put my foot down it would stutter and sometimes backfire, i talked to an auto electritian who had a quick look at it he said the coil was causing the problem as it is not designed for the engine and that i would need to get the coil designed for the motor and the specs to run it. i tried going to mitsubishi but they needed a chassis number to find the coil needed and specs (i couldnt get this). so i looked on the bosch website and it says to use a bic-290 how ever every store i went too didnt have one i talked to a few other people and they told me to use a GT40 (non resistor coil) when i went to buy this all the stores didnt stock them any more they could only get a replacement by another brand. i bought this coil and im wondering how to rewire the coils (the standard lancer coil has two extra wires)

Any advice would be good im really lost, is there anyone out there with this motor? or experience with it?

From memory you can get MSD coils from Pioneer Autoparts. You can use pretty much any electronic ignition coil, 11380 was the part number Repco used to keep the generic one under. Bit hard to believe you couldn't find a GT40 coil.

The extra two wires are probably for the ballast resistor, there should be heaps of write ups on the net on removing them - not specific to Lancers.

tried repco,supercheap and bnt for the gt40 coil, repco and bnt both said that they can only find a replacment product of the gt40.

added two exta pins to the new coil and removed the ballast resistor the new coil seems to be running fine with the extra wires im waiting for the rain to clear so i can put my conroll arm and struts back on and take it for a test drive before cert.

thanks for the help and the picture. how many wires do you have running to your coil and can u tell where they are coming from?