Want to improve your car photography?

autozoom

Hi guys,

I will be running some *introduction to automotive photography* workshops throughout the Summer in Auckland. The workshops will be aimed at beginners with a mild understanding of photography but with a desire to practice a few techniques and learn some new ones.

There are 2 types of workshop:

Workshop #1 is a 4 hour session on a Saturday or Sunday. The main feature of this workshop is that your own car will be your subject on the day and I will keep the group size to a maximum of 4 people so I can give everyone plenty of guidance.

*by the end of the session you should have some great shots of your car(s) and a much better understanding of how you did it.

Workshop #2 is also 4 hours, but, with a group size of 8 max. There will be just 3 or 4 subject cars chosen by me on the day. You are encouraged to bring your own car and I will choose which ones to photograph based on what I think will offer the most variety and best practice.

More details, such as dates and costs are available on my website http://autozoom.co.nz/section541515.html

And even more details are available if you PM me - such as what to bring, details of what content will be included and answers to any other questions you may have.

Early booking is recommended but extra dates may be available later-on; depending on my other commitments.

Thanks, Matt.

Will this include usage of lighting rigs to gain a better understanding of where and how to place light sources?

Thanks for your question Snoozin.

The 2 workshops I am currently offering are aimed more at a novice level.

These are introductory workshops, I would say that if you are already looking at the use of light rigs and creating studio lighting, you are already too advanced for what is being offered here.

I am looking at introducing dates for an intermediate workshop, probably next autumn and anyone wishing to step up from these beginners' workshops will be catered for here as well as more advanced amateurs.

In response to a couple of other questions:

There will be no classroom or studio time, the workshops will be on location. The meeting point will be the boat lockers on Sulphur Beach Road, just North of the bridge and we will move onto a second location that will offer different challenges and scenery.

Course content includes, Composition, Framing, Natural and camera-mounted flash lighting, Depth of field, ISO, Shutter Speeds, Scene Settings for compacts, use of shadows etc. I will talk about the theory and there will be handouts but the majority of learning will come from doing and group challenges and discussion.

Compact cameras are more than welcome.

There is no base skill level needed to take part. Whatever level you are at currently, you will notice significant improvement by the end of the day. You will be able to understand; not only why your shots are coming out as they are, but also what to try to improve them next time.