1975 mazda b1600

maxted

got this the other day of a mate, tidy original b1600, looking to lower on some white walls and hubcaps (if i can find some) and respray the same colour when can afford it, last pic is of my old b16 was going to do this one same sort of original stance

p1000120i.jpg

p1000121a.jpg

p1000122c.jpg

p1000123bp.jpg

b1600.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Brought this b1600 back in the weekend

o81u.jpg

going to do a full resto on it, its going to be a long term project, would like to find another chassis to slowly fix up with all new bits and paint up ect so i can still daily drive this 

• Like 8

A mate had this tailgate in pretty poor condition, someone has cut the bottom skin off as it must of been pretty rusty like most i have seen, going to need a fair bit of work to get it in tidy cond again, pretty keen to have the stamped mazda and swage line in it like this one as mine is new zealand new it has the plain tailgate

pyad.jpg

also got this standard port 12a and s1 5 speed to put in it down the track 

mtyo.jpg

need to get these blasted and painted or chromed 

nvfr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

managed to find this for the chassis to do up and mount motor in ect so i don't have to pull mine off the road

guj0.jpg

7u89.jpg

will pull the old 1600 motor and box out next and get the 12a and box mounts done before i remove the rusty as cab 

• Like 1

made abit of progress yesterday, removed the 4 banger and 5 speed

vn0e.jpg

then cut the engine mounts out 

pktef.jpg

still need to grind the rest down flush and tidy up 

wy7m.jpg

Then to slot this into the gap

b9jv.jpg

got it in there 

dnra.jpg

its going to be tight for the exhaust will need some pretty slim headers made, the clutch fork is pretty close to the firewall too, might pull it all out and trim the rest of the mounts away and see if i can drop it a little bit more down and back

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

pulled engine out and ground the rest of mounts off and dropped it back in, this ute has had a floor shift 5 speed conversion at some stage and they had welded a plate to gear box crossmember to bring the mount holes back towards the diff, so i flipped it around and it bolts up roughly where i want it

photo8_zpsd3fe94a3.jpg

when its all mounted where its going to stay i will probably cut plate off and shift mounts on the chassis forward and use the holes in the centre of crossmember and get rid of that plate.

So thats left the engine sitting in the bay like this

photo11_zps01ec7bcf.jpg

thats as low and as far back as i can get it keeping roughly 10-20mm clearance from front crossmember

photo14_zpsf2a9e61b.jpg

only now the clutch slave cylinder and fork foul 

photo1_zps9fc9c086.jpg

photo3_zps192f1a50.jpg

Im not keen on moving the engine forward to clear it as it would have to come forward 80-100mm so going to look into raising where the firewall meets the tunnel roughly 50mm to get some clearance and clear the clutch fork, luckily the heater is mounted approx 100-150mm off the firewall so theres some room in there to play with,

do something roughly like this and if need be a bit of a extra notch for clutch fork

tunnelmods_zps21f770c4.png

also welded up the factory bolt pattern on the front plate to get rid of the offset, now its ready to be re-drilled more central 

photo10_zps40dfb5ff.jpg

also picked up a carburettor kit for the nikki as it leaked big time last time when i tried it on another motor, and got a knackered slave cylinder to use for dummy mounting help give me abit more of an idea how much to raise/notch firewall

• 3 weeks later...

made some progress over last few weeks, decided to ditch the s1 rx7 gearbox as it would be a hassle down the track if wanted to put something with a bit more power down the track so have got a w56 and managed to find an adaptor to fit s4/5 rx7 bell housing 

photo4_zps91d3e210.jpg

got it all bolted up this evening pretty close shifter position wise, and has gearbox mount further back also a bonus will almost line up with factory x member now, only down side is drive shaft will need to be longer as output is under shifter

photo1_zps9ef75579.jpg

also had some mounts for the front plate tacked together and got some rubber mounts 

photo6_zpsc595a78f.jpg

photo5_zps103c8556.jpg

photo_zpse62f5bd6.jpg

will swap out gearboxes next so can get it sitting where its going to stay then make front plate and suss out box crossmember 

also picked up some discs for the front off a b2000 get rid of those drums!

Also started a discussion thread

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/42707-maxteds-b1600/

• Like 1

swapped over gearboxes, have got it sitting in there with carb sitting level, box has more clearance around firewall now, had to cut some more out of tunnel to raise it up to level

photo2_zps82a85dca.jpg

shifter sticks through floor a bit

photo1_zpse6abe400.jpg

heres the w series gearbox mount

photo5_zps3da1e081.jpg

with adapting the box to the rx7 bell housing it lays the gearbox over towards the drivers side, so had to make a new crossmember to suit this angle

photo3_zpscd0aaf3a.jpg

got it all drilled out and bolted up the mount and just tacked it at the angle until I've got it in and tried it out, also made new brackets to be welded to chassis and use two bolts either side instead of one like the original one

photo4_zpsb343827f.jpg

hopefully will have it in this coming week 

Also re-thinking engine mounts after coming across someone else's build on the net, quite like how they have done the front plate

242374_10150210425592472_684797471_71491

240388_10150214660792472_684797471_71859

210241_10150182006162472_684797471_69006

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

made up front plate just tacked together until I've test fitted in the engine bay, hopefully have the engine and box mounted by the weekend ready to remove cab and start making some real progress, also found a nz new tailgate with the big mazda pressed into it scored it for a good price its in really good condition too only need minimal panel work.

photo_zpsdf8ee694.jpg 

also read up on the hobby car manual, had to make some changes to trans mounts to make them the full height of the chassis 

• Like 2

test fit the engine mounts, its all worked out pretty well fits snug between chassis rails,

the oil fitting for the oil cooler will foul the front plate so will space it out or get a 90 degree fitting need to see how much room i have to move mounts

photo2_zps05f93daa.jpg

the left hand side i couldn't get the other plate in as it hit the water pump, have taken a spare waterpump into work to change the inlet pipe with a sharper bend to dodge the mounts

photo1_zpsa785e716.jpg

trans mount are all made just needs trimming to fit between rails

• 4 weeks later...

had a change of direction with this, decided as i want too daily drive it and keep it as original as possible, so pulled the 12a out and sold it too free up some money to paint it ect instead and just leave the 1600 in there as it goes really good and cheap as too run no cert blah blah blah so stripped spare ute for its well side, diff, suspension and anything else that was salvage-able, going to start to clean up well side and new tailgate and get it all straight and primed 

• Like 4

A mate came across this on a car yard had been traded in by some old lady, so snapped it up always loved the b1500 fronts, got it for a reasonable price, its had a 1600 NA engine and 5 speed floor shift conversion and has certification for it also, starts and runs was last on the road in 2012, its a bit of a pig of a thing for some reason when you put clutch in it stalls out engine? has a spot of rust in the floor and a bad sill (luckily the other b1600 I've stripped for parts has a solid sill on that side will cut out for patch panel), its also a 1969 first of the square b1500 shape, came with ugly ass flat deck and canopy as soon as got back to the shed whipped all that off and the bull bar, got a fair pile of scrap metal now. plan is to do this one up instead of the green b1600 and continue daily driving that, need to do rubbish/scrap metal run and make some room to take cab off and start stripping chassis back.

heres a snap of it sitting on the yard

b15onyard_zpse696940f.jpg

got it back to the shed

photo2_zps5f909122.jpg

1969 getting old for a mazda

photo3_zps87590c9c.jpg

stripped of its deck and bull bars

photo4_zps6f6ceb80.jpg

love the old school bonnet emblem

photo2_zps23dba753.jpg

wellside to go on

photo3_zpsa89a9898.jpg