L20et ignition module problems

kevz_kuzzie_kustomz

evening all :). no i have not asked on hybrids yet. i might have to sign up aye. My car is a 1984 model and i am the second nz owner. got it completly stock standard off a old man bout a year ago haha. mods iv done so far are exhaust system, external wastegate plumbed to atmosphere of course (fun job of pulling it on haha not as simple as putting one on a RB as manifolds are on the same side.) :D and lowering and rims. lots more to come after fixing this prob.

ok next step to trying to solve my ignition problem. today i started up my car. started first pop and ran fine. i removed the plug from igniter to coil. hooked up a LED test light to earth first. 1 pin is ignition. others hav no power. then i hooked the LED to power. found one pin is always earth. the 2 others are pulsed earths when cranking. so now i kno what the igniter packs out puts are when car is working fine. then i put it all back together as normal n started her up. hmmmmmm now i want this car to fault so i can check if there are any changes to the outputs of the igniter. if all outputs are the same i can point probs to be the coil i spose. so i put it back to normal n run it for at least an hour waiting for it to cut out. but it freeekning wouldnt hahaha. id say because i am just letting it idle its not putting enough stress on the electrical components to make them fault. i dont want to keep reving it till it cuts out and upset the neighbours either haha. so i spose i mite have to get someone to follow me and test it on the road side when it faults. hardly ever does it and when it does i end up towing it home and when i get home it starts up straight away hahaha.

I spoke with old owner of this car today and he told me he had encounterd the problem before. he brought it to garages that couldnt figure out the problem as everytime he brought it in it wouldnt fault hahaha. i very much think im on the right track to having it sorted its jus waiting for it to fault next so i can test out my theory. i spose i could of jus spent a whole lot of money replacing everything with new stuff (thats if i could track the parts down, geting a replacement CAS was hard enough) but i want to learn more about these old L series motors :).

What is the part number on the coil you have there? Could look it up in FAST and see if it's the later revision or something from a different Nissan (possibly a VG one)

Actually... are you 100% certain it's a spark issue? my DR30 also shat the fuel control module in the boot which had almost identical symptoms (leave it a while, and it would start going again), except it was fuel not spark that was being cut.

I've heard of the power transistor problems too, but thankfully haven't run into them with mine yet.

car cut out again today! removed plug to coil and used a LED test light to check the out puts of the igniter pack. found one trigger signal missing. finally diagnosed the problem :). to get car home haha i done this. remove igniter and coil. got my mate to pick me up. put igniter in his freezer 4 a while. wraped igniter and coil in a bag got a bag of ice and wraped coil and igniter up with the ice. went back to car. car started first pop and i was able 2 drive all the way home :) now where do i find a new igniter hahaha any ideas any one? or can i adapt another one to fit? i wodnt mind geting another coil too. cheers for all the help guys