Ford starter problems -argh

burrowssj

so is the the starter motor whizzing but not engaging. if its not engaging the solenoids stuffed.

Yea its got a lazy spin to it and its not connecting to the teeth on the flexi plate but its acts normally when its bench tested but as soon as it goes into the car its back to the lazy spin

I see there is no earth lead going to the engine or gearbox...........

then theres ya problem. earth ya engine, thats why youll be getting 5volts.

Ok from the manual I have this. The armatuar for a manual starter are wave-mound type an the windings from an automatic car are lap-wound. Could someone explain what this means? as we have replaced the windings

yes starter looks identical to pics

is first on my todo list 2moro. Il polish up all terminals an get its nice an clean, run a big fat super wire from neg term to solenoid/reg/switch an go from there?Il Volt test it after im done to make sure of any changes

IF it doesn't work what would you suggest next?

EDIT* oh so run the neg to the battery or run it to the gearbox? remembering this is a very old car

i had low cranking probs with mk2! is a bit worked. i got a negative lead from a truck!( big n fat! ) and ran it from battery to the timing cover. didnt hav any problems after that with it cranking untill i bent starter shaft! ive got quite high compression. i did hav to put a bit longer bolt on timing cover an its been ther for 8 plus years!

If the cog at the end of the shaft isn't throwing out when the starter motor is spinning it will not engage the flywheel.

There are three possible reasons:

1) The starter motor is spinning too slow

2) The bendix arrangement is jammed, stopping the cog from moving

3) You have inadvertantly re-assembed the starter motor with the brushes 180 degrees out and the starter is spinning backwards

My money is on #3...... but - where are you measuring the drop to 6v while cranking?

I had a pretty quick skim read of your updates (thanks for posting) and I think the best diagnostic tools in your arsenal are a pair of jumper leads.

a) Run a jumper lead from the negative battery post to the bellhousing and try to start the car. If the starter still does not engage the flywheel then...

B) add a jumper cable from the battery positive terminal directly to the positive post on the starter motor. The starter will sark and jump into life. If it engages now your solenoid is stuffed. If it does not engage then....

c) Bench test the starter with the jumper leads. The cog should move in towards the startermotor body when the starter spins. Check that it does move by twisting it with your fingers before you apply current.

If the cog throws freely by hand but does not throw when the startermotor is bench tested then your problem is either #1 or #3

If you suspect #3 then you effectively need to rotate the starter body 180 degrees on the starer mounting web - exactly how that is done on your starter I do not know (sorry) as I chucked all mine away