Drews 1981 Sprite Hardtop Caravan Full Of Bitches!

drew

With our hearts in our mouths, ten tons of camping shit packed into the surf (plus wife and kids) we set sail for a local camping ground a mere 10 minutes drive away.

The theory was that should something fail enroute (drawbar, tyre, wheelbearings, my undies) we would only be "just round the corner" and could abandond the COB on the side of the road and head for home.

But the lightweight towed like a dream and before long we had the COB setup and ready for habitation..

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

(note my loverly wife paddling her waka...)

Turns out the bed just isnt quite long enough for me to fully strectch out unless I lie across it corner to corner, so we let the kids have it and me and the mrs shacked up on the airbed in the awning.

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_8871.jpg

( a shot of the inside of the roof showing the many storage holes that could quite easily hold a playstation or head unit...)

We had a primo night camping out in the COB - went off without a hitch and celebrated with burnt bacon and runny eggs in the morning.

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

The COB has a stove, and facilities to hold an LPG cylinder on the front, but the lpg hose is missing between the two, and I am far too paranoid to use the cooker inside anyway, so we bought our little camping one, which worked fine as long as there was no wind...

Fueled by the success of the mission I started tossing round ideas to improve our chances of repeating our venture into the great outdoors, and drew up a task list:

Replace tyres

Replace wheel bearings

Repair 240v wiring

Fix busted zipz

With the above completed, we should be able to tow the COB much further afeild without stressing that something is going to crap out....

That in mind I have pushed the COB into the shed, propped it up on blocks ghetto style and removed the wheels, hubs and bearings....

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!! never really realised how roomy one of these could be!

Well done, such a sweet sweet score!

I hae a totaly fetish for caravans, so I love this!

80's build with 70's style

How much better can it get

A firm hand shake is in order

The rims are in a pretty average state....

DSCF8109-1.jpg

DSCF8094.jpg

.... so while I was in town today I stopped in to see the good buggers at Sandilands Wheels and Tyres and got the rooted rubber removed.

On the way home I stopped in at the sandblasters just round the corner and held up my two wee rims (dont be rude!) and asked "how much?"...

... and the bloke blinked a couple of times and said "$20 bucks for the pair blasted and primed.. ok?"

Needless to say they got the job. Will see what they come back like next week.

Also picked up some more goodies while I was in town....

IMG_2035.jpg

So with a bit of luck I will find some time this weekend to put the new bearings in and the hubs back.

Drew

edit: forgot to show the cool as moonies.... should scrub up ok.

DSCF8111.jpg