turbo lancer, misfire under load

barf

nice engine bay mjrstar! (CT9A? mine's a CM5A)

no trouble codes logged in OBD, knock sensor isn't picking anything up and the timing and boost is standard anyway. (yes 1 bar standard)

what plugs do you run in that and where did you source those COP units from?

do they have a built-in ignitor? (2, 3 or 4 wire type?)

i was looking at ordering one of these coil-packs along with some more Bosch BIP373 IGBTs but shipping out of the USA is not cheap :-/

ign-4_med.jpg

you got the idea but, option 4 is option 1. having more than the breakdown voltage is what matters and upping your coil's primary side from 12v to 24v will do that but then the insulation of the coil degrades much faster and you'd need to re-tune the dwell time to avoid frying it. a higher turn ratio (more windings, and more evenly wound) is what provides more voltage at the spark plug's electrode tip. COP seems to be mostly a reliability/cost design decision, as high voltage leads are not cheap and prone to insulation failure, while the voltage and current losses through HV leads are not huge (better RF suppression is also achieved with COP).

interestingly, you can have enough spark to initiate deflagration and have an engine run very smoothly, but extracting the most power (esp' at high pressures; ie turbos) puts higher demands on ignition systems than what is required to simply make them 'run'.

aah sorry I mis-read you option 1...

The car is my rather rough and ready evo 4..

Coils are factory off a 2ZZ (or possibly 1NZ)corolla, you can also use k20 honda or altezza ones also, mine are 4 wire (with tacho feed which i cut off) i just ran adaptor plugs from the TPS off a v6 mazda into the factory loom..

another cheap option for a good coil is the dual post from an early 90's diamante i run these on my 1g powered starlet..

have a search on EVOM or MMC (ok maybe not mmc)for more specific mitsi ignition faults it may be more benificail compared to oldschool??

the ignition idea comes from here:

Sparktech_0101.jpg

http://www.sparktechignitions.net/store/

But does not come with the $600 usd price tag.. (cost me $120 for a full corolla loom, coils, starter and alternator off trade-me)

as for spark plug choice, I'm pretty sure this runs some BP7 Iridiums that were in the car when I brought it a couple of years ago.. (Same plugs as my 1ggte starlet) which seem happy at 20+ psi..

Click here for some more coil info..

http://s-86.com/s-coilpacks.html

coilpacks03.jpg

and some of the bunch of shit i got off tardme...

PC270187.jpg

i had it running like this.. ha..

PC270188.jpg

you get the idea anyway..

28373_424125055836_654920836_6092156_5912929_n.jpg

I'll stop now.. it's a bit OT for oldschool..