Grumbles daily RN40 Lux.

Abuse viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27497

So, I now have a 1981 RN40 Hilux. Its powered by the mighty 1600cc 12R motor, has four on the tree, and a sweet bench seat. The chap selling it was interested in a small cheap to run car, and agreed to take the alto as part trade (I was fucking stoked TBH) I met the guy at a testing station, as the ute had failed its wof on rear brake inballance, so he was having it retested, it failed again, so they swaped the shoes from side to side and pissed around a bit, and it failed again, so I low balled the guy and got it piss loads cheaper. I got this the weekend before nationals, drove it to my olds and slapped it in their shed. I went to work on the brakes, rebuilding the cylinders, slapping new shoes on it, and giving it a good adjust and bleed. Went for a recheck, and it passed by 3%, YUS! Me and the woman then got the sugar soap out and spent hours scrubbing the interior, it went from black to a beautiful shade of tan. I then slapped some lowing blocks in the back, and reset the front bars, which was a total cunt (which I was not expecting TBH) I moved them the exact same amount, and tensioned them the same, but it came out cock loads higher on one side, so took much fucking about to get it to sit fairly level. WALLLL OF TEXT!! Time for some pics.

The night I got it,

DSC01701.jpg

DSC01703.jpg

DSC01705.jpg

A few days later, and about 50mm lower,

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

And some random shots for all the single ladies,

DSC01711.jpg

DSC01741.jpg

DSC_1782.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

The ol gal's in pretty good nick all round really. The main problem with it is its been resprayed by a retard, and the paints not sticking to the primer, im pretty sure it will all fall off pretty soon, so a respray will be needed in the next few years. It only has one small spot of rust in it which I will fix before its future respray. It may also get an engine transplant after I finish my other projects, i'm super excited about this really.

So, im not overly keen on the black hubbies, looking at getting some hub caps like this:

10-1060-0.jpg

and run them on black rims, possibly with wide white walls like this: (but without all the other chrome obviously)

PTSmoothieWW.jpg

I know this is hardly an original set up, but think it will suit the ute really well, thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, hows it going? I got a set of basically brand new Hilux steels, in 15x6 format, to replace the current 14x4.5 items. I got them as they were cheap, local, and mint, so no need to sand blast/derust them before I paint.

DSC01803.jpg

Only problem with them is the center spigot hole is 6mm smaller than the orignal rims, they fit on the back, but may end up having to machine the front hubs a bit to use them.

Also, a member of the Rotorua chapter of shadow garage, DAF, hooked me up with the hub caps I was after, at a very sharp price, thanks heaps Mr DAF! This is what they look like sitting on the new rims,

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

Unfortunately they dont sit on the rim quite how I had hoped, I think there may be two different sizes of cap, and I was given the measurement of the larger by one of the places I talked to. I was hoping they would cover the raised section, but then sit rite on the top of it, so stick out a fair way. They do sit on the 14's pretty well, so may end up just keeping the 14's on there and getting them widened at some stage. When this rain fucks off I will slap one of the caps on and take a pic, then play with rim colour ideas.

DSC05887.jpg

^ I like the look of this (wheel wise) with the pin stripe on the rim, could work with different colours maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

The motor pooed its pants. I drove it to Aucks and back, and noticed a funny sound it was making (I guessed the timing gear was falling off) had got a shit load louder and more horrid sounding ...... so I ignored it. Drove it to work for a few days and it died on the way home, just lost power, and then semi seized, wound erratically for a while, then jammed solid. So, got a new motor and box for four boxes of flame (around $60). Cleaned it up, swapped over all the shit (clutch/fuel pump/dizzy/pipes/carb and so on), and slapped it in, to find the sump hit a steering arm, so ripped it out, changed the sump and slapped it back in.

Old motor on its way out,

DSC01822.jpg

BAM, and the engines gone,

DSC01826.jpg

New old motor (its from a 77 lux) cleaned up. (note the top of a radiator + cap that had been soldered onto the oil filler hole, not sure why?)

DSC01823.jpg

Hilux party!

DSC01824.jpg

12R party!

DSC01827.jpg

Dr J5 doing the autopsy on the old motor,

DSC01833.jpg

We found it had no oil in it, so it burnt 4.5L of oil in around 800km? I was expecting to see destroyed rings or something,

but they were all fine, the bearings were less fine,

DSC01831.jpg

And I was kinda rite about the timing pulley falling off, the bolt had come undone and was rubbing on the housing,

DSC01829.jpg

So, not 100% sure why the oil consumption sky rocketed, but thats what killed it in the end.

Also, the intake/exhaust gasket was rooted, and there was none in town, so we went for a road trip to Rotorua to pick one up from repco, so a 2 hour trip to get a $12 gasket, puhuhuhu. We also had burger fuel, smallest OS BF meat ever?

Got home, slapped it all back together, started it up, new motor runs sweet as, runs smoother and quieter than the last one, so pretty happy, just needs a light tune.

Oh, and I also now have a sweet coffee table!

DSC01836.jpg

Regards, VG.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK, this is the plan: find 16's/go as low as I can.

grumblesute.jpg

Thanks for the shop Duds!

Sooo I need to find some 16" rims that will fit this. I've spent the last few months trying to find some 15's that will fit with no luck, cant understand why its so hard to find coon rims? Sparks pointed out some coon 16's (I read that from AU2 onwards they have fwd offset) a while back, but they have gay fwd offset, did the pre AU coons come with 16's in rwd offset? Need 5 x 114.3 pcd, and a center hole over 66mm BTW.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rite-E-O, finally got my mitts on a set of AU coon steels, they are 16x6.5 +40P (the originals are 14x4.5 est 0P?) and fit bloody beautifully! They dont rub on anything and can go lock to lock without touching nout, they also fill out the front gaurds nicely. I should have listened to Sparkle in the first place and got these to begin with, I will never doubt you again oh mighty Sparkle.

They have 215 60 16's on them at the moment, but I think they look OK TBH. It looks pretty TUFF from front on/the rear. I also slapped the VW hubbies on with the power of magnets (how the fuck do they work?) but cant decide if it looks like a 1980's car with 1940's wheels, or just semi hot rodish? Thoughts on this? I'm liking the black rims tho, so doubt i'll paint them. I may still widen the rears in the future also.

DSC02153.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

AND,

DSC02150.jpg

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02152.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...