The ulgy duckling te71

so about 3 weeks ago i did a road trip late one friday night to pick up phill's te71 from taumarunui, via hamilton to pick up phill... got on the road about 5pm, and got home at 3.10am, then had to drop tow van back and got home again at 4am.... what a night!!

this is what i ended up with

te712.jpg

te71.jpg

then for the next week and a half or so i collected some bits and started a plan on what i needed to do to take it to OS nats... unfortunately i had a few customers cars here and couldn't start working on it until they were finished and gone (im self employed)

so the saturday before the nats i finially got to start work on the TE, started by welding up the boot wiper, squirter and lock, then the passengers lock, drivers door mirror holes and then a big patch of rust in the lh rear quarter... had that done by about 3pm when a mate turned up and we started bogging them smooth, we worked till about 8.30 getting those bits finished and patch primed

next day the weather packed in on us so i organized a garage i could use for painting, set this up and spent all day on the passengers door trying to get it straight, unfortunately some shoddy repairs meant the lower section of the door had lost all shape and strength and i couldn't get it very straight... got it looking alright and primed this and another repair i did inside the door

monday was spent removing the old white and black layers of paint to get back to the brown base, then masked it up and etch primed it all about 9.30pm (the latest i could use this garage till)

tuesday i got up early, mixed up some nice thick filler primer up and gave it 3 coats of this by about 10am, then chucked a heater in the garage and waited till 4pm to start sanding back with a orbital and 300, with a few panels requiring a block back during this process...

about 8pm we started spraying, 3 coats of a metallic brown colour i mixed up from all my paint slops and then another 2 or 3 (i can't remember, i must have been smashed by then) coats of clear, lighting was shit we were taking turns holding the light while the other one sprayed the paint :rolleyes: and had quite a few kamikaze moths immortalize themselves in the clear coat, got outta them about 9.30pm

wensday i brought it home looking like this

tebrown.jpg

so then i proceeded to make a new 2.25" exhaust cause i old one was broken in a couple of places, and a mate came round and pulled the diff out for me to weld up, but unfortunately it was a 4 spider with tiny inspection hols so i couldn't weld it sufficiently so it went back in open :cry: (but the oil we removed was like bubbly glue so was good to change that)

then i started it up to find out it had a loose baffles in the muffler and rattled like crazy :pukeleft: but no time or other muffler to fix so that'd have to do

thursday i got up and stole some suspension bits from my ke70 wagon.. my "off-road" struts from my wagon (usually used for grasskhana's but make for comfy road driving), with 20mm longer lower arms, extra thread tapped on caster arms, roll center adjusters, custom steering arms and custom made turnbuckle thingy, ke70 rear shocks to keep some cutties captive

got the steering ratio down from 4.1 turns to 3.5 with a pile more lock and grip

ordered some new tyres for the front, and a dissy cap, rotor and oil. then booked a wheel alignment

friday i was up early again fitting bumpers, lights, trim, seats and other essitals to stay road legal, then went and got a alignment at 11am, home by 12 to continue fitting more trims and guard mirrors... packed up and left my house just before 3pm, off to my mates work to fit up new tyres and grab a new battery, then a quick stop to get a new brake light bulb and thermostat... on the road at 4.40 leaving auckland, then it straight down to palmy (stopped at ngaruawahia for dinner) to see my mate at "olds cool autos" for a quick catch up and beer, i think we left there about 12.30 to head to rangiwoods, but we got mega lost in a couple of different direction down narrow gravel roads... i think we arrived at ~3am and then had some drinks, i went to bed just after 4am

the rest, well you were all there for that :mrgreen:

clocked 1340kms in 48hours and had a shitload of fun during that time

IMG_1653.jpg

DSC_1795.jpg

oldbrown.jpg

_R070306.jpg

• 1 month later...

didn't have time to get my wagon ready for a drift day so i locked the diff, fitted some firmer rear springs and took this for a thrash, lucky for me it was raining in the morning so i got to do some drifting, in the afternoon it was dry and i didn't stand a chance so all i could do was swing O's and drift other peoples cars :lol:

rainingte71.jpg

te71tandems.jpg

GV5A9739.jpg

dirtdropping.jpg

lhte71.jpg

just brought a 6 speed 350Z gearbox for the conversion, still piecing bits together, will post up info when i know its all gonna work together :bounce:

HoriDori687.jpg

HoriDori689.jpg

HoriDori693.jpg

HoriDori694.jpg