Dylan's 76 Toyota Corolla KE30 (Picture Heavyish)

dylann

Discussion: http://www.oldschool...hp?f=18&t=26968

Im not good with introductions, so lets get to it.

About a year ago i bought it off an old lady in whangarei, full on nana spec.

Im the 3rd owner, before me was the old lady, and before her was the toyota dealership, sweet deal!

Bought it at 96ks, hasnt even clocked over yet and currently up to 98ks.

When i got it it had been brush painted in house paint, with some stripes in paint so thick i used more sandpaper on them than i did for the rest of the car.

Current mods

el cheapo respray

lowered in the back with blocks.

Future mods?

Rebuild current engine

Sweet rims

Adjustables up front

Brakes?

Will hopefully get alot of help from my dad and uncle for this, one being a mechanic and one a panelbeater.

This will be a long term project, considering i have little practical knowledge of anything car related, lack of tools and no real idea of the size of task ahead of me, this should be interesting.

Pics pretty much as i got it;

img1617kf.jpg

img1616mx.jpg

img1620f.jpg

Will post more once i sort pics yo.

Engine, original and delicious.

img1648g.jpg

Some rust i found when sanding, worst patch so far.

img1667g.jpg

When i was in the middle of sanding, this is all i have of this stage unfortunately.

House paint is a bitch to sand off a car, never paint your car in this stuff people :lol:

img1666u.jpg

It is painted now and looks baws. so happy with the colour pics in next post.

Ok so now i have broadband ill post all progress so far.

Last week, did a trademe pickup trip and got my dad to help me install the lowering blocks i bought, trademe pickups include a set of 15x6 celica mags, set of shank nuts, and some guard mirrors.

On the back of the car

img2075h.jpg

Guard mirrors, bought 2, and the guy found another 2 and gave them to me anyway, sweet deal? I dunno what theyre off and the guy didnt either, the trademe auction said "wing mirrors" tthey looked boss and for $25 i bought em.

anyone know what theyre from? would be interested to know. Theyre made of metal. Only pic i have atm since i cant find my camera cable.

165197759full.jpg

Blocks in, leaves look real flat, is this normal with blocks, or have they been reset at some point?

img2085j.jpg

So thats all so far, like i said, slow project/resto, might start on the boot this holidays, bit of rust in there.

• 3 months later...

So its been a while since iv updated this, cause i havent really done anything to it.

Have installed some king springs in the front, barely captive need to get the shocks shortened 50mm, that should even up the lowering too since its way higher at the front compared to the back.

Put the rims on the front, got some 2mm spacers they fit minta mate

Pic of the front, still too high for my liking but it looks alright

img2202g.jpg

engine needs a freshen up, using oil, may do that once i have my other project daily-able as i now do work experience at an engine reconditioners.

anyway thats it for this post, not much to update. really need to find some motivation for this thing haha.

• 1 month later...

Pictureless update.

Lowered it at the front, still not sitting right need to get the leaves reset as the drivers is 5cm higher, really noticeable

Using even more oil, still

Installin stereo this week, looking to install it as if there was no stereo to begin with, as i still want to keep the stock stereo in there to keep the old school look, pics hopefully soon.

Question- when hooking up the stereo to the ignition, which wire should i hook it up to and how do i go about doing it? cant seem to find anything on it. cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Clocked over! first time. defining moment in my life.

005oj.jpg

something is missing here .. gonna give the bay a tidy up, may wire tuck if i can be bothered. probably not.

photo0004y.jpg

engine on stand, gonna start stripping this almighty beast tomorrow for a recond.

photo0005ph.jpg

yesterdays work, clean-ish engine bay, needs to be cleaner. definately like the look after removing the wiring, so will be wire tucking etc.

photo0018ep.jpg

trying to figure out where to re-locate the fuel filter and coil to, any ideas?

did heaps today, got engine fully stripped down and started making little things shiny! (heater lines, oil filter thingy, other little bits)

can see a problem when re assembling it all, remembering which bolts go where.

oops.

found a couple things when stripping,

oil rings were stuck which was causing the oil usage, new rings! bores are quite worn on pistons 1 and 4, hopefully a hone will fix them, dont really want to rebore but i think it will be inevitable.

will be replacing bearings and frost plugs also, why not

head/block are in very good condition with next to no water corrosion, so im happy as with that!

thats it for today. more tomorrow as i make progress.

Another update, yay

Anyway, more cleaning, more pulling shit apart, more pics!

photo0060f.jpg

Dirty alternator shit.

photo0063kr.jpg

Sandblasted alternator shit.

photo0064kx.jpg

Completed alternator, looks sexy. Also painted pulley wheel black.

Polished it with the buffer wheel on the grinder, and some polishing disc a workmate had.

Painted orange thing orange with engine enamel to match what colour block will be.

photo0067w.jpg

naked block, its a dirty little one. Will be painted orange in engine enamel before re assembly.

very little wear on the bores, apart from a lip on bores 1 and 4, .5mm wear. ouch.

photo0068br.jpg

sandblasted/stripped head, found some corrosion that has been poorly repaired when sandblasting, pic below.

photo0071j.jpg

will need to be tig welded up and re blasted. ):

photo0069j.jpg

valve seats, in very good cond! cant really see it in this photo but it looks like they have just been machined.

Last picture for today, 2 valves, both intake.

photo0066yg.jpg

left is a normal valve, right is a "replaced" valve, unsure what it is out of apart from my motor, isnt a toyota valve. anyway caused alot of hassle as it made all things holding the valve in hard to get out. aswell as the valve.

luckily had a spare 4k head sitting around the shop, stole a valve off that.

thats all for today, feel free to discuss.

Another pictureless update.

Found the bores are actually very worn, needs to be bored out alot, so have ordered some oversize pistons etc.

Shit was cheap! $350 for 4 new pistons, rings, and gasket and bearing sets.

Crankshaft has no wear on it at all, still factory specs, stoked!

And getting cam sent to franklin cam services for a 1/4 race grind, excited for when i get it all back.

Goin to replace frost plugs too, cause i removed them, fucked yo. If you are rebuilding your engine, replace these and give the inside of the block a good wash!

Put the hose in the frost hole and out the gasket face came the brownest water i have ever seen. Took about 5-10 minutes of solid washing to get it about 50% clean.

Anyway, thats all for today. More tomorrow i hope!

• 1 month later...

Pics from earlier this week, new piston and the colour of the block.

Engine is almost complete now, just a couple small things then it should be in there by the end of the week, hopefully running too.

Note the osh-spec workbench in the background

photo0083jd.jpg

photo0082c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

IT LIVES@!#$%$@%@#

Got a fresh wof, failed on front bumper and bonnet stay unsecured, so easy fixes, stoked!

While driving to the wof things got interesting, accellerator cable came off the carb, while driving up a hill, with a nice line of cars behind me, not a single fuck was given

Things to do

Extend the starter motor wire so it goes under the engine mounts, currently *really* close to the extractors so it is burning slowly, and my car now smells like burning genital hair, and cat vomit.

Install my stereo

Fix boot, leaks water, got a new seal, but it still leaks

5 Speed Gearbox, want it to sit happily at 90k's

Future plans

Remove car cancer

De-Loom engine bay

Lower the front to match the rear, and get driver/passenger side even.

Other than these things, im happy with it for now, will take some pictures of it soon

• 3 weeks later...

Installed my stereo today, so happy to have sounds!

Apart from that havent really done much to it since the rebuild, done a grand total of ~400ks just driving to and from my gf's place, and a couple of random trips. Cant believe how well it goes! Compared to the work van it seems peppy as!

Made friends with the local wrecker, scored the wheel below, and i have his permission to come through once a week and see what i could be keen on. Theyve got a pretty rust raped 70s kingswood wagon, driveable, considering it.

Scored this yesterday off him, it shall be my new garden hose holder, after a quick freshen up ..

Gave it a quick scrub with wheel cleaner and it came up average.

photo0112b.jpg

My helper for my stereo install, in the horrible weather.

photo0113r.jpg

And my workshop for the day!

photo0114y.jpg

Being friday the 13th, of course i had to have bad luck!

Burnt my fingers a hell of alot, so i still dont like soldering, soldered most of them up forgetting to put heat shrink on the wire first, this was quite lame. But apart from that everything went better than expected!

Scored some 4" fusion speakers off a mate, new in box, so thats my beat producers for now!

So this is how its mounted at the moment, will be making a centre console out of wood, and mounting the speakers on either side of it, and the stereo just under the heater control pod thing. So it should look swish indeed!

Will paint the centre console, blaaaaack!

photo0115ik.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So before the nats i decided to do a little work, even though i wasnt in the show i still wanted the car to look good :P

Also may i say the OS stand looked amazing! Loved the little info points they had on the cars too, made it that much sweeter! Gutted i didnt get to meet any of you guys, looking forward to the OS nats now to see even more OS goodness with some OS gc's

Anyway, off to dads place to do a little tuneup it was, turns out the timing was 18deg before, instead of the 8deg it should have been! Drives much better now so im pleased that is sorted.

Checked the tappets because i thought they sounded very noisy, wasnt the tappets, but the timing chain

When i replaced the tensioner etc for it everybody only stocked 5k parts, so i used them instead, and since the 5k kit was single chain the overhang of the twin chain creates a reasonable amount of noise. Not sure if i should be worried about this or not? Either way it runs sweet.

Only problem i have now is backfiring every 5-10 seconds at idle, cant figure out what it is.

Anyway, pics!

Made an average as centre console cause i was sick of the stereo/speakers sitting on the floor, does the trick!

Will be extending it to the back seats, and it will contain cup holders! And I will cover it in fake leather or something sweet like that.

img2355xw.jpg

img2356of.jpg

Will tidy up the wiring at some stage too ..

So heres how it looks at the moment, no valance cause its rust filled :\

img2349hi.jpg

• 1 month later...

Made some carpet up, bought an engine and steering wheel.

I thought putting my carpet in the washing machine was a smashing idea at the time, until i pulled it out covered in rips and a hair like substance everywhere. So i binned it and have been rolling carpetless for a month or so. Until today!

Made up these templates, i will be buying black carpet and putting it in eventually but this will do for now. Im very proud of myself :P

photo0181s.jpg

So i went from this:

photo0180au.jpg

To this:

photo0184r.jpg

And i got this little sticker from my tv haha, thought it was quite fitting.

photo0185lt.jpg

• 2 months later...

TODAY I DID SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE.

Thanks to Richie (thank you so much, good to finally meet you!) I have acquired a starlet k50 to fit in my ke30, so today i set out to pick it up and put it in, and get kfc all in 1 day.

My day stated out by the usual, then heading out to mt wellington, pulling off at the wrong turnoff resulted in me pulling over many times looking at my map going LOL, where the fuck am i going.

Anyway, i got it, its sweet, it was pretty clean already but i gave it a clean, even sweeter.

Nice and clean

photo0210i.jpg

Out with the old, dirty 4 speed

photo0211b.jpg

And 4-5 hours later into the night, done!

photo0217xk.jpg

KFC was also delicious, dylan out. Thanks again Richie!

• 1 month later...