Taistorms 78 Vauxhall Chevette

Taistorm

Thought its about time ive made a project thread for the 'Shuvit'.

I brought this 1978 Vauxhall Chevette off Craig 'Bulldog' towards the end of May last year.

First of all I had to buy a new battery before i brought the car as the current one was shanked and needed a roll start to fire her up :lol: so i rolled up to Craig's with a fresh 430cca battery. The car was in fairly decent condition minus a bit of rust here and there, a torn rear seat and a few leaks. The HUGE 1256 had only done 110,000kms which was a plus and was just short of a wof, All it needed was a warrentable set of tyres, some rust by the drivers feet sorted and the steering wheel nut needed to be tightened as the steering wheel was a bit loose.

How the car looked the day i drove it home (paint looks fucking mint but irl it was really faded and had crows feet all over the boot & Roof)

dsc00508n.jpg

They day after picking it up, I gave it ye old oil & filter change and siliconed the shit outta the windscreen to eliminate one of the leaks. Silicone = fail. Pretty trippy how the sump plug required an inch sized socket :cyclopsani:

dsc00515n.jpg

Then a week later I shot up to Tony at Lynchbuilt and got a set of Ruststyles with good treaded tyres that i swapped over, returning the original wheels back to Craig as it was part of the deal when i brought the car. A few days later the Rustyles were wirebrushed back and repainted, being brought back to their former Rostyle glory.

Before

rim1g.jpg

rim2.jpg

After

rim4g.jpg

Went to my dads panelbeater mate who sorted the rust in the footwell (didnt take any pics), then went and got a wof.

dsc00592.jpg

dsc00576.jpg

dsc00577.jpg

A few days later the car started to run like shit then found out the fan belt was absolutely fucked and was well past its due date so i replaced it and borrowed my mates timing light and set it spot on.

Was a mint daily for the next 2 months until I was at the mrs' and the bloody cunt who was fixing the blinds at hers reversed straight into my car and drove off. Tracked the bastard down and after ages of fucking about his insurance company coughed up a mint sum of money to pay for the damage.

sdc10100.jpg

The damage wasn't too bad as it was only the F/R guard but nonetheless was still a pain in the proverbial.

A couple months later I picked up some mint guards and other bits and pieces that ended up sitting in my carport until deciembre.

sdc10099c.jpg

Also got a Gemini diff that is still awaiting to be thrown in.

Once again the shuvit crapped out on me, this time it was a carb problem (the diaphragm was buggered). Sorted it by replacing the standard Stromberg with a 28/36 which was rebuilt by Murray at weber specialties. Also got a inlet manifold off Crazytim which needed to be modified to suit which was done by Tony.

sdc10080j.jpg

sdc10090m.jpg

Also Replaced the sparkplugs, leads, cap & rotor and tidied up some rust on the footwell which was caused by the windscreen leaks..

Before

sdc10086t.jpg

sdc10085.jpg

After

sdc10107k.jpg

The chevette was running ok for the mean time but the throttle kept on sticking. A while later just before xmas Tony and Mark helped to sort me a new throttle cable and Return spring to cancel out the sticking.

sdc10242v.jpg

sdc10245u.jpg

Got central locking and an alarm installed, then begun to replace the guards and prep my car for paint to get it sorted to cruise down to Gizzy for new years.

sdc10237q.jpg

sdc10246w.jpg

Unfortunately the I ended up spending too much money on xmas prezzies so couldnt afford paint and the cars just sitting in prime/guide coat as we speak. Also bitched out on driving it down to RnV as I didnt reckon it would make it (which was a smart choice as soon later the fuelpump and/or dizzy failed on me) which is almost sorted.

Have also chucked a Ramflo airfilter on, added 6x9s and headdeck plus a Mexican blanket on the rear seat which i scored from kumeu. Will try get more resent pics tomorrow or fri.

Discuss //oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25672

Chur, Tai

• 2 months later...

So decided to fire this cunt up today and take a few pics.

Over the last month or so Ive had my dads mate do a bit of panel work and straighten out all the tiny dings throughout. Over the few months that it had been sitting the battery had fucked out even though its pretty new which sucks and wont hold a charge anymore (chevettes dont really have the best alternators so if i can be bother i might try adapt something else), the fanbelt snapped :? which is out of it cause it was pretty new aswell and wasnt too tight or too loose :rolleyes: and I cant get the car to idle. Thought it it was due to there being too much fuel in the air/fuel mixture but i leaned it out which didnt make a difference and the timing was all good so im not too sure what else would make it do this? will look into it.

Also the lock barrel for the drivers door has jammed up and the master actuator for the central locking has shat itself. Not looking to good right now but easy fixes ay haha.

Picture time..

20110330160349.jpg

20110330160403.jpg

20110330160531.jpg

20110330160540.jpg

20110330160544.jpg

20110330160554.jpg

20110330160610.jpg

20110330160639.jpg

Some paint cracking that I need to sand out

20110330160619.jpg

20110330160702.jpg

20110330160745.jpg

20110330160800.jpg

20110330160844.jpg

20110330161719.jpg

20110330165011.jpg

Now that i've sold the mirage I can afford my course books and some paint for the beast haha. Gotta do a bit more sanding, re primer then i'll be throwing some GM aquarious on :colors: