Goodmans 69 Mk2 Cortina

kiwitina

So I managed to get some tina time in today. Decided I’d start stripping one of the doors down in some kinda effort of making progress. They’re actually in really good nick already just a few minor surface rust spots here and there.

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

Getting all the inner mechanicals out was pretty straight forward. The hardest and most painstakingly annoying thing was getting the chrome trim off the window frame without bending and denting it. If anyone has any tips Id like to hear them.

IMG_4755.jpg

After a few hours of stripping and sanding it came up pretty good. Just a little pinhole and a dent to fix up.

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

IMG_4782.jpg

Covered it in this stuff until I can finish the whole door and get it etched. Wouldnt use it again as it doesn’t spray very well. Hopefully it does ok.

IMG_4777.jpg

IMG_4778.jpg

Also started cleaning up one of the replacement guards I got.

IMG_4780.jpg

Might even be able to use part of this headlamp bowl to patch up my rusty one.

IMG_4781.jpg

Removing the remnants of the inner wing

IMG_4788.jpg

Have a spot weld drill now which makes things alot easier and tidier this time around.

IMG_4789.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much happening with the tina at the moment. Been working like a dog which is great because I've been able to save $$$ for bond on a decent house with a garage and also a couple of other things...

Got offered another complete GTE dash for a really good price. Its in better condition than what I have and with a wooden face that isn't broken. Score! It arrived from New Plymouth this week and is waiting for me at my folks place.

GTEbits.jpg

Also picking up this GT console today. Got offered it for a nice price so couldnt turn it down. Needs a bit of work and some new brackets but should do just fine.

console.jpg

This will mean that Ill be losing the bench seat so that leaves me after a pair of front seats if anyone is holding.

• 2 months later...

So West Auckland’s Cortina population just went up +1. Finally moved out and got my own nice and dry garage. It’s only a single but it will do for now. The great thing is I can now chip away at things whenever I have time so what the hell am I doing on Old School?

IMG_5390.jpg

Not much happened recently. Just been finding and buying parts whenever I wasnt glued to the telly watching the RWC.

Got a pair of Cortina Buckets

IMG_5394.jpg

And a steering wheel from a 1600E

IMG_5395.jpg

Something for the cortina fans...

IMG_5398.jpg

IMG_5400.jpg

Back to the garage. Cheers!

• 2 months later...

So I’ve spent a fair bit of time on the tina recently. Took my guards back to the metal to find the rust in the rear edge is worse than I thought. Been using those purple smith and arrow strip discs that are on trademe. They are most excellent.

IMG_6260.jpg

The filler panels that run up the edge in between the guard and the a pillar are rooted.

IMG_6254.jpgIMG_6256.jpg

So Im biting the bullet and buying a new filler panel and rear edge repair panel for both sides from the UK. Maybe I should have gone fibreglass afterall... The stink thing is that the company in the UK has an order backlog 3-4 months long! There is plenty to do and get done in the next few months anyway. Just landed a sweet job on a film so Im looking forward to spending some dough and making some progress. Aiming to have the car blasted and some of the big rust jobs out of the way by autumn. Goal is to have it back on road in whatever state by Kumeu 2013. I will find a way to kick myself in the face if this doesn’t happen....

• 2 months later...

Hauled my block, head and gearbox up from my folks place. Bought a few engines in pieces from a guy in welly when I first got the car. Never got around to putting it together so it sat in my parents shed for years. My plan is to get it away to be blasted and inspected next week. I was a bit embarassed about the condition I had let it get to so gave it abit of a clean myself. Blasting should get rid of whats left. Hopefully I have enough technical know how to build the engine myself. If not google and youtube will come in handy..

my 711M after a wire brush and a degrease

IMG_6566.jpg

The head has had a bit of work done to it. The only work its done lately though is nothing more than sitting around a damp shed. And it shows

Before

IMG_0225.jpg

After

IMG_0224.jpg

Im still waiting for my guard bits Ive ordered to be made....

That is all for now.

• 2 weeks later...

No pics but some progress.

- My block and head are in getting inspected/cleaned up.

- Replacement Sills are being made and sent up from Invercargill

- I pick up my rotisserie on monday!!!!

- Bought some POR15

- Bought a kickass Northstar 5.5hp compressor to run my blaster (Is the only honda engine youll ever see in my garage)

Maybe not much progress then. But I spent a shitload of cash and had fun doing it and this way I might actually make some progress.

Now I just need some time away from work...

Chur

Only had enough time today for a little test of the sandblaster and compressor. Made some plywood baffles to help keep the neighbors reasonably happy as the compressor obviously has to go outside. Seems to go well and the vacuum sucks up most of the sand so not much mess. Its not so good for the tight spots though.

Historic photo bump....

IMG_0061.jpg

Failed to shut back door properly doh!

Picked up my rotisserie today. Will need some custom mounts made to get the car on it but ill know what I need once I get the end stands together.

My garage is a mess so I also went and got a garden shed to move some crap outta there.

IMG_0248.jpg

Theres a tina in there somewhere

Stopped by the workshop to pick up my bung head. Looked so nice, clean and flat.

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

But then you look closer and....

IMG_0246.jpg

aww novus!

Looking forward to some time off late next week. Cant wait

• 2 weeks later...

Built the garden shed to make some work space. Made a whole lot more room to get the car rotating around in. Just need to get some custom mounts fabricated so thats top of my list for my next day off.

IMG_0303.jpg

Also picked up my old engine and carted it back west. Pulled the head off it and sent it and another one off for inspection. Hopefully 1 of the 3 will be good for the rebuild.

IMG_0299.jpg

Chur

• 2 weeks later...

Its all mounted up!

IMG_0322.jpg

Got my mounts back from the steel surgeon in Manukau. A week ago I spent a painstaking half day making some mdf mock up mounts. Paying special attention to angles and placement of holes etc. The time I put in all paid off as the steel ones I got back are bang on the money. Stoked.

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

I still have to get the diff, suspension and steering out of the car before I can flip it over but that will have to wait till next week.

Ive had the blaster all up and running but need to experiment more with settings. It wasnt working like I thought it would and wasnt very fast so I ended up going at the floor with some smith and arrow strip discs in an angle grinder.

IMG_0321.jpg

Still plenty more work to do in there before it gets treated to some POR15.

Went in to West Auckland Engine Reconditioning to see what the deal was with my engine. Out of the 3 heads I sent them I have 1 without a crack in it. They are gonna do some crank grinding, some skimming, some porting, and put in hardened valve seats for me. I should get it all back next week. Exciting.

Got an update from Expressed Steel Panels in the UK and its about 6 weeks before I get my guard panels down here.

Wow. That felt like a real update. Ka Pai!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the steering, diff and suspension out of there and the thing can now roll! Stoked. Couldn't quite get the car high enough to where the center of gravity is but its near enough and it weighs stuff all anyway.

IMG_0336.jpg

Excuse the oily puddle on the floor. Pulled the steering box out and left it lying on the ground. All the oil ran back down the shaft overnight. Doh!

IMG_0337.jpg

Popped in to see how my engine is looking and it's amazing. Almost to good to actually use it looks that sweet. Getting them to clean up my cam and put that in before I get it back to finish off.

Im a bit worried that its the wrong time of year to be stripping paint off. Its been so cold I think there may be to much moisture in the air to get a good etch on. Your thoughts?

Had a few hours this weekend to do some more of the floor. Took the time to seal the joins up on the hose and compressor and it made a big difference. Still a little slow with the blaster but it comes up clean.

Still remnants of black sealant in the corners. Annoying shit.

This is my rig anyway. Car is on its side so I can blast standing up. Made a little fort to stop most of the sand and dust from going absolutely everywhere.

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

Was getting a bit of moisture coming through so I went and got one of these moisture traps... Anyone know which way around it goes? Does it have to be vertical?

IMG_0344.jpg

Cheers

Lil Update...

I got the rear seat floor section in por15. Because I used a combination of strip discs and blasting I used Metal Ready before the Por15 so it had something to stick to. It seems a bit odd that you spend ages working on a piece of metal and get it all clean and paint free only to chuck this metal ready stuff on and make it look like this. hahaha

IMG_0355.jpg

Did the Por15 the next day and it came out really good.

IMG_0358.jpg

Its not that ideal painting in winter but ill probably push on doing small sections at a time. Already feeling the pressure if i’m gonna have this back on road in summer...

Got my engine stuff back from the reconditioners. Lucky to have an understanding girlfriend who doesn’t mind it living in the lounge.

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

This is just a list of a few things I had done.

Block cleaned and crack tested

New valve guides

Valve seat refaced

Valve seat inserts added for 91 octane

Head cleaned and surfaced

Crank reground -10

Cylinder honed

Cam polished

New Cam bearings fitted

Pistons cleaned up (1 repaired)

Came out at around $1100 for all that. Probably not that cheap but theyve done a good job so I cant complain. I want to put the engine together myself so I actually learn something. Looking forward to it.

So Im putting together a list of the things I need to get from Burton. Its a long list.

Ive done some more work on the next section of floor. Have worked out a process of Strip discs then wire brushes then blasting. Floor is sealed up with this thick black stuff that takes a while to get off. Its slow and boring but its gonna be tidy.

IMG_0367.jpg

Oh and heres an exciting development. Just bought these off the trademe.

steelies3.jpgsteelies2.jpg

steelies1.jpg

Sexy fat 13x7's. Thinking whitewalls and original ford hubbies...... Serious pant full of bone right now.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve done another section of the floor. Seat supports will come out later so I can paint that section.

Just got to do a few little cover ups and that will be it I think until we hit some warmer weather. Plenty else to do like rebuild and rebush the suspension. Build the engine. I could go on....

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Guard parts are made and will be on their way shortly from the UK. The price is a scary unknown at this stage. Its gonna hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on my drum backing plates. These are the GT ones which are an inch wider diameter than the standard ones.

IMG_0412.jpg

After a visit to the blasting cabinet

IMG_0413.jpgIMG_0414.jpg

There is quite a bit of pitting but I rust treated them with some metal ready then put them under some POR15.

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New guard panels arrived from expressed steel panels ltd in UK

IMG_0420.jpg

These will be grafted on to my existing guards to repair the rusted out rear edges. Filler panels will also replace the buggered ones that run up the a pillar.

My order from Burton Power should arrive tomorrow. Like a kid on xmas eve I am!

Been cleaning some stuff up with a wire wheel before it hits the blasting cabinet. So nothing terribly exciting. Burton package didnt arrive today :(

before

IMG_6702.jpg

some time later

IMG_6704.jpg

dirt and muck gone

IMG_6705.jpg

I hate rusty hubs. Thinking about painting them (not where I shouldnt ofcourse) but just the bits that are exposed to dirt and moisture. Can anyone recommend any products? I have most of a 1 litre Por15 sitting there but I dont know how that would handle the heat.

What about front stubs? suspension arms etc? powdercoat or por15?

shit i dunno...

Other news. Ive got some more stuff on the way. Getting some new m16 calipers with spaced vented 2.8 capri rotors. as well as new bearings for the whole car. Should stop it alot better than before!

Burton Power package arrived the other day. Like Xmas when I was 7 it was!

IMG_0422.jpg

Will be dropping the car 2inches all round :D:D:D

New 2" lowering spring on right (obviously), standard on left

IMG_0426.jpg

Still more stuff to get and money to throw in to the blackhole of doom. Cant wait!

I had my first experience splitting ball joints. F%$k I spent $90 on a ball joint splitting tool only to get the job done with an old hammer. Stupid !@@(&$(*@&$**&$(*#$*$ :evil::evil::evil:

Blasted clean the Front legs, hats and back plates. Gonna give them another blast with some coarser grit later.

Went to a powdercoaters for a quote for my steelies. $125 per wheel!!! Sounds like an auckland city price to me so I will shop around some more. Can anyone recommend any powdercoating gc's?