Poo's '81 Mitsi Eterna GSR

Poo

Soooo, Ive finally borrowed a workmates 5stud Starion wheels that he's not using. (With 215 60 14 Toyo Proxes) I better not skid them up too much, as they are the only set of Toyos in that size in NZ.

IMAG0133.jpg

as you can see the mags have a recess in the mating face for the circlips on the hubs.

IMAG0136.jpg

Shed photo

IMAG0134.jpg

Car park photos

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0142-1.jpg

ps. the LSD is awesome!!

What a massive difference it makes. I can now put the power down to the road (and kick the back end out with sweet skids

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

and Ive got the centers moved on two of the mags just to test fit them.

Aarow Wheels in New Lynn did them. The wheels just needed a couple of millimeters taken off the center.

I now have to get some longer bolts as the old ones are too short. If I use a large dome head allen bolt can I get away without using a washer?

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

I think with tyres on it will need a smidge on guard rolling. Anyone got some 195/55/15 they dont need?

• 5 weeks later...

Not much of an update.

I grabbed a boot mat from PickaPart ages ago and finally got around to putting it in (boot mounted battery needed to come out and new holes cut in the carpet). New on the left and old on the right. The new one even covers up the back of the seat support. The carpet on the new one is a million times more plush than the old jap spec one.

IMAG0171.jpg

Also.

bad cellphone pic.

IMAG0205.jpg

• 2 months later...

So I've had to do a couple of small jobs on the car.

first was to give the front rotors a skim as they were a bit warped/scored.

In this pic you can clearly see the low spots on the disk were its warped.

photo.jpg

nek picture shows some deep scoring to the back of the rotor. The one on the right has been bashed by someone. WTF.

photo-1.jpg

the other job was to replace the lower ball joints because the the boots on both had let go.

photo-3.jpg

photo-5.jpg

I brought a fancy new ball joint breaker for the job. Most of the screw type breakers have a fixed pivot point, but this one is adjustable.

photo-7.jpg

Oh, and its further to drive to my brothers to pick up my grease gun, that it is to Bunnings. So I brought a new grease gun. Only problem was with my car on jack stands the car still wasnt high enough to get underneath to grease my nipples with the new gun. So I had to bend the neck on the grease gun. I heated the neck up with a blow torch and bent the neck using the closed end of spanner.

photo-6.jpg

and a skimmed disk looks like this.

photo-2.jpg

And I booked the day off work today so I could meet Clint/Cletus.

So guess what.

I GOT A CERT !!

Just got to wait a few days for the plate to arrive.

Jeah!

• 4 weeks later...

Not much of an update, but.

I got a clean sheet WOF on friday.

Cheers to the guys at TTT Auto Engineering for squeezing me in at late notice. I cant recomend Tim and Dave enough.

IMAG0202.jpg

Not much of an update.

I added the louver from the parts car. It was in good shape, but a little faded. I gave it a good clean and wiped it down with CRC. (has anyone noticed that CRC smells different. The can that I used smelt like feijoa.

Anywho, heres a picture. (I reeealy need to paint that god damn drivers door handle).

2012-06-03_15-45-01_794.jpg

• 4 months later...

One of my workmates has a Starion and has been hoarding parts. I was complaining to him that I get a heap of tyre shake if I spin the rear wheels.

Now I've managed to get him to sell me a Nolothane bush kit and a short shifter.

I just need to find the time to fit them.

20121005_094021.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found some time to put the new shifter.

Getting to it needed a whole heap of interior bits to be removed, heater panel, centre console, map book tray under the glovebox, centre kick panels, etc, etc.

I used the rubber boot/seal from the old shifter (not shown in the photo below). I had to cut the old shifter to get it off.

20121018_195617.jpg

So far so good. Nice quick action. Just need to get use to the strong centering springs.

• 4 months later...

Had a bit of spare time to work on the car in the weekend. Want to get the nolathane kit on the car for Nats.

Only had time to do the strut supports. So a pretty boring update really.

Have a look at the pics. The large washer certainly looks to be on backwards.......but thats how it was.......Im going to flip it. It just looks wrong.

photo_zps0db96dbd.jpg

Old bushes:

photo_zps9c10663e.jpg

Heres last nights effort.

Cleaned up the internal collar and inside the LCA. Nolathane now spins on the greased collar.

Didnt get a chance to put them in the car yet.

Definately more subsantial than the old rubber mounts.

photo_zps27c78210.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

One of the reasons I put the nolathane (and new rotors) in was the brakes are a bit 'shakey shakey when I brakey brakey'

I can feel a bit of a pulse on the brake pedal and the car shimmies a bit under hard braking. Not that bad and not a WOF failure, just a pain.

So it had the skimmed front rotors.

New front rotors (up there ^^ in the previous post)

Nolathane in the front.

Sooo it could be the rear rotors that need a skim.

Rather than skimming the rear. I got some new ones to match the ones I got off Lunacy.

photo_zps1cf4ee5d.jpg

photo_zps315635e7.jpg

These things are wicked. The drilled holes are chamfered (I thought that's a nice touch)

and zinc plated/wont rust.

Shipping from the States only took three business days! But shipping cost more than the rotors.

Ive got to put the rest of the nolathane kit in the rear of the car before the Trackday/Nats.

Might take Friday off work and sort it.

So I did a bit of work on the car.

Not as much work as I wanted too. I ran out of time to do all of the nolathane kit, only finding time to do the main cradle mounts. The rest of the mounts can be done without dropping the cradle, so they can wait.

photo_zps9d673379.jpg

photo_zpsf6dfae22.jpg

I soon found out that there is a top mount that needed to be removed. The rubber actually looked like pressed steel............

photo_zpsf40204ee.jpg

photo_zps65087084.jpg

This goes on top of that.

photo_zpsa5f04fe9.jpg

Rangi press.

photo_zps518df924.jpg

and pressed in place

photo_zpsb4f66b65.jpg

and new rear discs. just waiting on new pads. Bleed brakes and drop it down.

photo_zpsead83793.jpg

Did a bit of work on the car last night.

Got some rear brake pads from Partmaster (Techstop brand I think)

The pad that sits on the piston sat too far back and fell out of the locating groove. Took a while to figure out that issue (spongy brakes). Sorted now and cant come out of the groove due to the piston holding it in place now.

Before that, I had to linish a bit of meat of one pad on each side. They just had too much braking material on them and there was no way that the caliper was going over the new disk.

Made a new mudgard support as the original had rusted away from having mud/water sitting on it. Fuuu at rusted fastners aswell.

I normally borrow my brothers brake bleed kit. But brought my own instead.

Should of taken some pics of bung pads, rusted, then new brackets, etc. But didnt.

These rule:

3025460-17.jpg

and wheels back on.

Drove it to work today. Cant tell if the new mounts have solved the wheel shake/axle tramp, due to skids in rush hour traffic is frowned upon.

photo_zps1b7b8db8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Oh hello!

I went to Oldschool Nationals.

Track day on the Friday was awesome.

Heres a few snaps. I hope the owners of the photos dont mind me using them here.

8765679566_001c9e749b_o_zps2cbed593.jpg

manfield1_zpscec77c03.jpg

manfeild_zps7a726ee9.jpg

manfeild2_zps5c3aed1e.jpg

422096_171478133010463_1302520599_n_zps9

902947_170334116458198_1864222996_o_zps3

Now those of you with a keen eye will notice that somethings missing off the car in the picture above.

Two of the SSR wheel caps decided that they didnt want to hang on anymore. After noticing that the caps were missing in the pits, I pulled the other two caps off. Strangley they came off very easily. So after punting the car around the track, the brakes AND wheels had gotten hot enough to soften the plastic of the caps.

So saddened with my loss I ordered some more caps through Import Monster (great service). I got some longer caps.

photo_zps466fb287.jpg

photo_zps7b3c2168.jpg

Now half the reason that the caps came off is the locating tabs on the caps NEVER engaged in the slots in the wheel.

photo_zpsb855f0c5.jpg

photo_zpsc5b10e92.jpg

photo_zpsc9a7f8af.jpg

Soo thats dumb. Good one SSR. Muppets.

Now Karl (BDA780) is a dab hand at the 3D printing. So armed with one of the original caps he drew up the cap (with 5mm locating tabs) and knocked some out on the printer.

photo_zps8200f2d9.jpg

I'll get them chromed and stickers made at some stage.

Oh, heres some more pictures of the car.

manfeild5_zps7682e22f.jpg

8663075679_95fed4a214_o_zps9e637dc0.jpg

• Like 1