Snoozin's 1974 Triumph 2500 P(I)

Snoozin

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to EURON8, his shiny new car trailer and his old man's truck I picked up the parts car this weekend... a '74 2500 PI just like the red car, however this was factory manual overdrive. It's had a hit in the front and was taken off the road because of this, however the plates are on hold. Real shame it got crashed... it was likely a really neat car in it's past life (if not a bit oily and greasy...) and has a lot of good bits I want to keep hold of.

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7718.jpg

Fairly minor really, a few splits along seams in bits you wouldn't normally see however so I guess this made it uneconomical to repair for the previous owner. The grille came out in one piece and completely straight, which was a pleasant surprise.

IMG_7710.jpg

IMG_7709.jpg

Rear view... post bumper removal (since it had a really good one on it) not much to see here really.

IMG_7731.jpg

One of the cool bits... full leather interior! I won't be using it, since I prefer the black but have a few enquiries into it already.

Otherwise, the injection gear is all present and correct... just waiting for the old owner to supply me the metering unit off his running car since he elected to send this one away to be reconditioned. Then I'll have all the gear, from fuel lines, to the massive fuel pump, the filter, 6 individual throttle bodies, metering unit, injectors and the silly plenum thing.

Got cracking this afternoon stripping useful/saveable bits and pieces off it, if anyone needs and Triumph saloon parts then sing out before it gets scrapped.

IMG_7736.jpg

Have a lol about it here if you want

//oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23772

• 4 weeks later...

Blue Trump has now gone to BLMC heaven...

Spent the Saturday last weekend stripping the hell out of the old girl, there's not much left of her now. Special thanks to sheepers for coming to lend a hand and some laughs, EXTRA SPECIAL SUPER GOLD STAR AWARD THANKS to Ryan Fels, who fucking 'liked' it so damn much he stuck around til the bitter end (10pm at night) until it was all done, and on blocks of wood. A note for future Triumph wrecking - DO NOT try to push the car a relatively decent distance without the diff in place. The rear suspension arms simply flop around all flacid-like and either tuck in, or extreeeeeeme camber out which makes moving it a challenge... and that's the understatement of the century!

The car gave up some good parts... a pair of near new KYB rear shocks which will replace my buggered rear shocks, the full leather interior which has been sold (payment pending) to a chap in Aussie, a small diameter S spec steering wheel, the PI spec 2.5l motor, 4 spd overdrive gearbox and associated manual bits (which have gone to Beaver to release his from the auto death-grip), a 3.45:1 diff and several other hand dandy bits and pieces which I have hoarded for future use etc.

Of course, the best things it gave up were these, $5.70 in change and a pipe which still had some semblance of green in it. Bonus.

2011-10-08171730.jpg

And finally, a few pics of the forlorn looking saloon awaiting the auto-hearse to it's final destination. Makes the neighbourhood look lively, I must admit.

2011-10-10124540.jpg

2011-10-10124840.jpg

Super short notice prompt response Scrap Man dragging it onto the truck... I'm impressed at how fluid and relatively gentle it all was. Minimal scraping on the road etc.

2011-10-10125259.jpg

With a tear in my eye, I said my farewells as the truck departed... well nah, I actually grinned, since it was the end of the damn thing and I didn't have to deal with it any further. I bet Ed thought the same too, I know at least one of his neighbours did :oops:

2011-10-10130530.jpg

Next time in Snoozin's 1974 Triumph 2500 P(I) build thread - a collation of all the PI pieces to reinstate the letter 'I'

//oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23772 <------ Talkies.

Over and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a play with the spare struts this evening, removed coils x3 from the factory springs and bunged them in. Resulting ride height is depicted below, by way of sub-par cellphone photo. Better ones to follow.

2011-10-20230152.jpg

I think the next step will be to whip them out, and get some actual springs made to that height, and the same rate with a proper formed end to fit the spring seat. Then the bump stops need some form of modification to them, that looks factory anyway.

2011-10-20231811.jpg

Just in case someone needs some short springs, I have these available for cheap.

Discussion is below.

Better photos showing revised and improved ride height

IMG_8936.jpg

IMG_8942.jpg

IMG_8951.jpg

IMG_8975.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

And a couple of other randoms, since I can.

IMG_8987.jpg

IMG_9064.jpg

IMG_9136.jpg

IMG_9085.jpg

IMG_9088.jpg

IMG_9112.jpg

And I took it to the 4 n Rotary Supershow today, as part of the CJC lineup of old cars from the group... ended up taking out the Judges Choice award. Weird.

• Like 2

Following a link posted in the Trademe thread, I placed an impulse bid for a set of mesh Volk Racing wheels with what were advertised as brand new Dunlop Direzza 185/60/14 tyres. In a nutshell, I figured I could at least handle having a new set of tyres, especially for the low $300 asking price for the alloy wheel and tyre combo.

Bid placed.

And I wait. Then decided I didn't really want/need them and hoped someone would outbid me. No one did.

So I won them.

Ok so... a set of wheels I didn't really want. Bugger. They were duly shipped up from Hawkes Bay by the ubiquitous Chris and Tara courier team and arrived on Monday. First impressions... well these aren't too bad. The tyres were definitely brand new as described, with the little rubber "spike" things still present across the treads of all 4. All the capscrews and nuts had been replaced with new stainless hardware. The centers have been given a recent powdercoat in a bright white (looks like they're drizzled in melted vanilla ice cream... just an observation). Things weren't looking too bad for a set of wheels and tyres I kind of didn't really want.

Figured I'd chuck them onto the Trump, just to see how they looked. Results below, and yes I'm pretty damn rapt with the overall appearance now, suffice to say I've flip flopped and figure I'll hang onto these.

6285966228_f6ac9f0159_b.jpg

6285446875_fac0f50f9d_b.jpg

Lower rolling diameter has also dropped the car further;

6285966842_7b65767da7_b.jpg

6285965490_e2bc7dc6bb_b.jpg

Never ever get tired of Trumps from this angle... it's the best possible one IMO;

6285446417_9d66802ece_b.jpg

Link to have a yarn about it, and for Ky to scold me for bolting mesh wheels on is below in my sig.

Thanks for looking :)

• 3 weeks later...