Damaged chassis number

tantrum

Hi all, I'm a bit of a newbie here, so please forgive any stupid questions, etc :)

I've got a 1988 Suzuki Carry van - not typical old school fodder, I know- but it's older than I am. and it's got a bit of a problem with it's chassis number.

It's failed it's warrant because the chassis number plate has been damaged and is unreadable, it has a gouge in it which has taken out one or two numbers, probably by someone working on the van and accidentally hitting the plate.

I'm sure someone on here has had a similar problem? if so, how have you gone about fixing it?

I've talked to a VIN guy in Glenfield who has recommended I make up a plate with the number stamped on it, and attach that, would this be a suitable option? has anyone else done this?

I've also emailed VTNZ, who want a full revin, which seems a little excessive for a damaged chassis number...

from what I can gather, the warrant sheet requires a chassis number to be present, which should mean that a new plate with the number should be enough?

Thanks in advanced for your time and help

Aaron.

Yeah man you go it.

If the plate is just the chassis number, make a new one up out of a thin sheet of something.

Find someone with a set of stamps and just smack them out (the numbers not the person).

Make sure you pop rivet it on.

They can't really tell what is factory or not. And if they still make a fuss go to a different WOF place.

Awesome illustrations by the way too!

i wondered about this, because whats to stop someone swaping plates on there car and just smacking the number with a hammer so it can't be read? then saying a story like its been damaged when the engine came out and then just making a tag to put on hmmmmmm.

i wondered about this, because whats to stop someone swaping plates on there car and just smacking the number with a hammer so it can't be read? then saying a story like its been damaged when the engine came out and then just making a tag to put on hmmmmmm.

Nothing stopping you except your conscience. It’s illegal to do this and its also very naughty.