Taistorms Mitsi Mirage mk1 ' Da Rage '

Taistorm

Got some pictures today and had a good thorough look throughout the car. Will let the pics do the talking..

sdc10333e.jpg

sdc10334yv.jpg

sdc10335nx.jpg

sdc10337m.jpg

sdc10350.jpg

sdc10343i.jpg

sdc10338u.jpg

sdc10344p.jpg

sdc10357o.jpg

sdc10385.jpg

The worst of the rust...

sdc10339n.jpg

It's like this on all the doors.

sdc10374xx.jpg

sdc10375u.jpg

On the FL side of the engine bay.

The car was repainted Windsor Blue about 4years ago. Was only an exterior respray but it looks quite nice. Heres a comparison of the old and new colours in the door jam.

sdc10360or.jpg

Started stripping off the bumpers and shit and bits in the engine bay. Want to try get the engine out this weekend or next and take the car to the panelbeater to get everything straightened out + rust fixed and get the engine bay repainted in gloss black and also have the door jams painted to match the exterior colour.

sdc10378q.jpg

sdc10362k.jpg

Check how much bog was used here before the repaint..

sdc10388v.jpg

sdc10390k.jpg

Made me worried so I whipped the magnet out and dragged it across the car haha. Doesnt seem like much has been used, only a little in the front guards and a little on the rear quater panels.

Oh and the reason why I'm after solex locks..

sdc10382y.jpg

The overall condition is pretty decent apart from the obvious and I'm happy with it considering I didnt pay much. The main thing i'm concerned about is some slight chassis damage in the rear and I hope it wont affect me working on this car as its only minor but i'm not too sure what the tolerences are :S

sdc10369c.jpg

If it's all good i'll be a very happy camper and cant wait to get the engine into this haha!

Chur

• 2 weeks later...

Had a qualified mate of mine come and look at the chassis damage yesterday and he said it's fine and wont stop me from getting a wof or cert.

He said that if it was up by the suspension it would a different story but given that its right by the end it will be fine.

Been hectic at home because we're moving out in a few days but after we've settle at the new place i'll get stuck in again. Gonna try get the engine and box out then strip the bay & send it to the panelbeater as soon as I can to get the rust fixed, rear, front straightened out and have the bay painted in gloss black.

After its back i'll get the engine in get the exhaust and manifold + intercooler plumbing measured up and finish off the intake manifold :D

Peace.

Sorry another post with no pictures :(.

The box and engine have been stripped from the mirage now and the engine bay is pretty much stripped and ready to go to the panelbeaters! Will give him a call tomorrow and hopefully he can get started on fixing the rust, straightening out the front & rear and begin to paint the engine bay and door jams.

Also some Cordia brakes arrived last week. They have as new Brembo slotted rotors and Mintex race pads. Plenty of stopping power for the new engine going in.

Chur.

Howsit bro i bought this car off you haha. Been thinking of a possible power upgrade for it so got a few questions for you if thats sweet. Will a 4g32bt engine bolt straight onto the stock engine mounts? Will the current gearbox be sweet? Are there many other problems to get it in and running as in electrics n shit? Your engine is going to be mean bro! Im just going to start looking for complete running 4g32bt n get a mate to help me put it in, hoping it's a simple swap. Couldn't find any info online about possible engines for it then found your posts haha. How much did you pay for your engine and how much you reckon for your rebuild costs? Would be pretty sweet turbsd out ae man. Any other info on it would be good sounds like you know what your doing. Cheers dude.

Howsit bro i bought this car off you haha. Been thinking of a possible power upgrade for it so got a few questions for you if thats sweet. Will a 4g32bt engine bolt straight onto the stock engine mounts? Will the current gearbox be sweet? Are there many other problems to get it in and running as in electrics n shit? Your engine is going to be mean bro! Im just going to start looking for complete running 4g32bt n get a mate to help me put it in, hoping it's a simple swap. Couldn't find any info online about possible engines for it then found your posts haha. How much did you pay for your engine and how much you reckon for your rebuild costs? Would be pretty sweet turbsd out ae man. Any other info on it would be good sounds like you know what your doing. Cheers dude.

Oh true all good man, yourself? I havn't actually mounted the g32b engine inside the vehicle yet but I'm pretty certain that its a straight bolt in as the engine mounts are same the same, and located on the same areas on the block. However I will be machining some new side mounts to allow the engine to sit stiffer as the current ones will cause the engine to rock back and fourth a fair amount.

In my new Mirage it currently has the 4x2 supershift transmission but I will be getting rid of that and I'm upgrading to the transmission from the 1.8L Cordia turbo as this bolts directly onto the engine and should handle alot better than the old box.

I didnt get a standard ecu & loom when I got the engine so I have gone with a Link ecu as one came up cheap with loom aswell. I'm switching the engine over from continuous injection to multipoint and have yet to finish making ports in the standard intake manifold so I can mount the gsr injectors. Will be a wasted spark setup and I will be using the dizzy as the pick up trigger.

I havent actually got the engine in yet so I havent come across any problems so far. The car will be off to the panelbeater next week to get straightened out and have the engine bay repainted, then afterwards i'll get the engine in slowly get it all together and get it firing away. Hopefully there won't be any problems but who knows, I'm sure something will come up.

The engine only cost me $100 which was a steal. It may take you quite awhile to come by, In the last 2 years I've only ever see 3 pop up on trademe but you may be able to get said engine or the 1.8 or 2l out of a Cordia or Sigma turbo.

Hopefully it will go pretty hard! haha I've got no idea about the power figures that i'll achieve. Will be interesting to see as it will have an upgrade fuel system, management and injection setup plus a larger turbo and will be intercooled.

Yea struggled finding much info on Mirage engine upgrades as well. The 1984 Dodge/Plymouth Colt was released with the g32b turbo but I've seen pictures of other people putting GSR and early Evo motors into em and also the Sigma 2.0l Sirius DASH engine, these would probably take alot more effort and work to get in but would achieve more power! Have also been suggested to apply a 4g37 head onto the g32b to increase the compression.

This is pretty much my first project so I don't fully know what i'm doing haha and learning as I go but I have alot of professional guidance and access to equipment so it's coming along pretty well.

I will post as I progress and if you need any other help just let me know.

Also please don't post in project threads but post in their discussion section as this helps to maintain tidy builds. Welcome to Oldschool!

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics for ya.

20110522120101.jpg

20110522120125.jpg

20110529135531.jpg

Engine and box out, stripped off alot of pieces for Footie as spares.

20110531144525.jpg

Solex locks, if anyones after em Racepro sell em for $130-$150 depending on application.

20110531144447.jpg

Judging from last time when I had those ROH wheels on my old Mirage, I figured I should get some bolt on spacers to make em flush. These came up 'as new' for as so inpulse bought. Hopefully they do the trick.

Cars been at the panelbeaters for almost a week now. Will pop in and see what hes been up to shortly.

Chur.

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got it back from the panel beater. Fuckin stoaked about the outcome!

Bonnet straightened out..

sdc10454.jpg

Rear end straightened..

sdc10461.jpg

sdc10463w.jpg

sdc10464f.jpg

sdc10465c.jpg

No more rust in the doors!

sdc10457a.jpg

sdc10458oh.jpg

sdc10459t.jpg

sdc10466z.jpg

sdc10468w.jpg

All panels filled with tectyl, ant-rust stz..

sdc10460k.jpg

And the engine bay & bonnet repainted..

sdc10455.jpg

sdc10456ea.jpg

sdc10469.jpg

The rage became a new playground for this little buggar :lol:

sdc10470v.jpg

sdc10471w.jpg

Heading down to Ohakune this weekend as its my birthday tomorrow so the mrs is treating me for a holiday as the mounts open. Going to check out Smash Palace and try find a good front bumper, grille and filler panel.

Chur, Tai.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for another update.

Had a mint time down at Ohakune, had a good look through Horopito Motors and took plenty of pictures but there's already heaps up from the meet the other week so cbf uploading mine haha. Anyway unfortunately they had nothing for my Mirage, didn't even have a single mk1. Pretty disappointing..

Found a Minter parts car up in Kaipara Flats which is now in my possession and have stripped a shitload off it. Was a pretty sweet Mirage being a Jappa import rather than one outta Todd motors here in NZ it came with a whole bunch of choice features like Electric Fender Mirrors, centre console, 2 radios (1 in centre console with an equalizer = BAUSE), different antenna, black interior with a sports steering wheel, rear speakers. Being the model that it is it has the MCA Jet engine which from what Phil told me is the standard 4g12b engine with the MCA Jet head which has extra air valves however these were more prone to head cracking so peeps plugged up the extra valves. Also came out stock with an air-con system which has its own separate radiator. Crazy shit! If I hadn't already spent so much time and money on my blue 4 door I would of been better off restoring this JDM one.

Here's some pics of the green beast being stripped down today for parts :)...

sdc10476h.jpg

sdc10478e.jpg

sdc10477.jpg

sdc10473.jpg

sdc10474.jpg

sdc10475ua.jpg

At this stage the camera batteries died so sorry for the poor quality phone pics.

20110714115846.jpg

20110714120731.jpg

20110714164957.jpg

20110714165013.jpg

Trippy how the jappa models have the chassis plate rivted here instead of at the top of the engine bay by the front of the motor.

20110714165034.jpg

20110714165041.jpg

20110714165109.jpg

20110714165125.jpg

Will get some more pic's up tomorrow.

Chur.

• 3 weeks later...

Minor update..

Started stripping the interior today and sorted out what I will be keeping and what's going to the tip. Didn't get a lot done though as the NZ u20's all whites had a game this morning and the Warriors played as well (fucking premo win btw).

That is all.

Tai

• 1 month later...

Not a real update as i've done fuck all due to lack of funds, however I now work at the Whangaparoa Repco branch so will be getting a bit of cash flow to feed the beast, Oh yea also if anyone's after anything that Repco provides let me know and i'll price you up a good deal.

Any ways all that i've really done is strip out the poo brown interior of my Mirage and begun to replace the BLAAACK jap spec interior. It's all in need of a good clean though so I will get some pictures of it once ive wiped it all up and vacuumed the shit outta it. Apart from that I've made up new plugs for the fender mirror electrics wiring and hooked them up to the centre console and the battery off my Swift. All the directional controls work so I am stoaked! pretty damn slow though :lol:

I've also re-electroplated (hopefully) the last batch of shit for the engine.

wp000020x.jpg

Thanks to Aircooled's picture of a Mirage out at Pickapart Takanini, I shot out there today just in time to steal the bumpers and some other little bits and pieces. Was so lucky because just as I started to remove the bumper one of the employee's came to forklift it out to crush it :shock: !

wp000055d.jpg

wp000045.jpg

Have ordered an alloy rod and am about to get a plate cut so I can start to convert the standard intake manifold to a multipoint fuel injection set up. Measured it all up and everything should all fit up snug. There will only be a few mil clearance of the fuel rail and throttle body and the injectors will only JUST fit. Tis gonna be a mish.

Tai.

• 1 month later...

Pictureless up date, boring I know... Well those Hoshino wheels I got a while back that I attempted to paint are now at Hibiscus Coast Powdercoaters (we're the cheapest on the North Shore). Decided I'd rather get them powder coated as I couldn't really get the paint in between all the edges n shiiet so left it to the pros. Have gone with the same orange I used but I'm getting the bands done in satin black. Pretty crazy but I think they'll come out choice as, will be different from the typical silver/black/gold center and polished lip combo anyway.

Also got a 25mm flange/spacer water-cut at One Stop Cutting in Silverdale. Tis for the intake manifold as I'm adapting a larger throttle body. Hopefully I can get the intake manifold sussed out this week but will see what happens.

Tai.

• 2 weeks later...

Soo Haven't had the time to get any work done on the intake manifold lately, been caught up with work, summer soccer and rwc stz. Also still waiting on the powdercoated wheels to get done, gave the guys a call today and he said the bands are done and unfortunately they don't have any of the orange I requested and I have to pay an extra $40 for them to get the orange in. 3kgs I think is the smallest quantity they can get and only about 1kg will be needed for the wheels :rolleyes: Looks like i'll have to find other shit to powder coat that colour unless someones keen on buying some off me haha :lol:

Anyway here's a pic of the flange/spacer that was watercut the other week.

wp000147.jpg

Also a huge thanks to Andrew, Chickity and Chris for getting my Roofracks up to Auckland. Absolutely stoked about em :bounce: Just need to make a minor adjustment to either the front or back legs as it doesn't quite sit flush then i'll need to sort out some suction cups and they should be good to go.

Was lazy and couldnt be bothered taking the covers off my Mirage to show you the potential of the roofracks but here's some pics anyway.

wp000150y.jpg

wp000151.jpg

The size is perfect and will probably leave em in the same condition (flaking/rusty creamy coloured paint).

Chur, Tai.

• 1 month later...

Haven't been able to get the intake setup sorted due to being caught up with tumeke work and Tony (whose been helping me with this project) had been very ill and had pneumonia over the last few weeks (he's recovering sweet and got the dry sump setup in his 1uz quad carb chevette all in, set up and firing away :badgrin:).

Anyway over the last few days with Tony's help I have managed to get a lot of work done on the intake set up. So far we had built up more alloy around the plate as we needed to make mounts for the sr20 throttle body to sit on, skimmed back the plate, bored it out to 60mm, grinded>milled>sanded the welds back to look pretty, drilled holes to allow capscrews to sit flush with the plate so the throttle can be mounted flush on the plate, tap to fit studs to mount the tb and beadblasted it once finished.

Next I had stripped down the throttle body, bathed it all in kerosene then bead blasted everything I could, Re-plated the linkage, replaced all the washers and finally reassembled. Far I hate it when you forget how things go together then have to piss around for ages trying to make ends meet :x so bloody annoying! haha oh well can only blame myself..

Time for pics eh. Sorry about the dump, trigger happy with the camera and proud of the work as its all new to me and i'm bloody stoaked. Enjoy...

Mock up of how the flange & tb need to sit..

sdc10517f.jpg

Welding blobs to build up the area for tb mount.

sdc10519ma.jpg

First time milled back.

sdc10521.jpg

Welds ground down.

sdc10522d.jpg

sdc10524w.jpg

Holes for capscrews drilled out. Note difference in size to allow larger TB.

sdc10526w.jpg

Mock up with tb mounted.

sdc10529x.jpg

sdc10532.jpg

Final piece milled and blasted.

sdc10550.jpg

sdc10551a.jpg

sdc10552x.jpg

Throttle body dissassembled.

sdc10553w.jpg

Cleaned/blasted/re-plated tb reassembled. Shit looks brand spankin!

sdc10554q.jpg

sdc10558j.jpg

sdc10562u.jpg

Nissan engineering lulz.

sdc10561b.jpg

And finally everything mocked up once again.

sdc10566p.jpg

All that's left now is to clean out the rusty water shit left in the galleries at the manifold>tb mount. Then I can weld them up then start to bore out the inlet to 60mm. Once that's done Figure out how we are gonna make the new injector seats (weld alloy rod onto the intake manifold), shorten the fuel rail and make up a mounting bracket. Finally when that's all sorted i'll clean it all out, give it a blast then send it off to the powder coaters to get a coat of satin black. Hoping to suss this out before xmas. Shit would be priiiiimo as ! :bigsmurf:

Chur, Tai.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...